Game 10 vs. Northeastern, Thursday, 1/7/21 @ 5 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Game 10 vs. Northeastern, Thursday, 1/7/21 @ 5 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

Our only Thursday conference game. Should be a good one.
Polito

Re: Game 10 vs. Northeastern, Thursday, 1/7/21 @ 7 PM

Post by Polito »

NU, I really don't know much about them this year, they lost so much from last year, it's a relatively new squad.

Played a very tough OOC (UMass, Cuse, ODU, Georgia, WVU! :shock: ), started conf play well against Elon. We know how NU is, always seem to be a tough out. Was hoping a bigger program would've poached Cohen a long time ago lol - so annoying :lol:

They don't seem to be a huge offense so far, only scoring in the 70's 3 times so far - mostly 50's and 60's, but again the sample size were largely bigger programs. NU's two main guys are Soph G Walker (out of Westbury / CTK), and Telfort who's listed as a 6'7 230lb guard?? Not sure if that's true or a typo, but he's a talented frosh - will see who he matches up against - if he's in the post against Kante, I'll feel good, if he's out on the wing more, it will be an interesting battle of frosh for Green and Cramer.

Not sure what to fully expect, but I'm sure these games will be back and forth.
Wags

Re: Game 10 vs. Northeastern, Thursday, 1/7/21 @ 5 PM

Post by Wags »

The start time has been changed to 5 pm.
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

Going to learn a lot about this team in this tough three week stretch vs. NU, DEL, Towson.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

They have used eleven players. Eight meet my definition of a regular requiring ten minutes per team game. Quirin Emanga averages 2.9 points in 11.1 minutes with 9.5 minutes per team game, so I'm counting him as a regular. They have six players who have played a majority of the time, and their only minutes above 30 are 32.6 by Shaquille Walters and 31.6 by leading scorer Tyson Walker. They get outrebounded and have a poor assist/turnover of exactly 0.825. They defend threes well with an opponents' percentage of .269, which is second in the CAA behind Drexel's .254. Their top five scorers all have at least one-third of their attempts be threes. Greg Eboigbodin (1-1 threes of 24 field goal attempts) and Chris Doherty (17 attempts that are all twos) rarely shoot threes. Eboigbodin started every game until Sunday, when he didn't play, and Jahmyl Telfort started for the first time. Walker, Jason Strong, Walters, and Coleman Stucke are their other starters. Vita Cubrilo is their other regular. I named nine players. Walters is a 6'6'' guard who leads them with 6.8 rebounds. Doherty averages 5.2, Strong averages 5.0, and Eboigbodin averages 4.1. Strong and Stucke are listed as forwards, but they attempt more threes than twos. Walker averages 2.9 rebounds, and Telfort averages 2.1. I don't have a way of finding out, but it must be rare for a team's top two scorers to average under 3 rebounds.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Thanks Wags - I would have been logging into FloHoops at 6:55 only to be seriously bummed!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/1/5/men ... fstra.aspx is titled "MBB: Key Early Season Showdown This Week For Hofstra." It doesn't say why the time was moved up.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game10.pdf is our Game Notes.

If anyone doesn't pay for Flo and gets NESN National on TV, you can watch our game at Northeastern on Saturday at 12:00 P.M. on TV.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

EvanJ, Thanks for the information about the NU-HU game on NESN this Saturday at 12:00. I just checked, and the women's NU-HU game this Thursday at 12:00 is also on NESN.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Thanks Wags - I would have been logging into FloHoops at 6:55 only to be seriously bummed!!
Flo has been so unreliable that I had to watch a good part of that game on my I phone since I couldn't stream it into my TV. I'm able to stream just about everything except for Flo and I think it's more the home games. Not sure why this is??
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:
Cards wrote:Thanks Wags - I would have been logging into FloHoops at 6:55 only to be seriously bummed!!
Flo has been so unreliable that I had to watch a good part of that game on my I phone since I couldn't stream it into my TV. I'm able to stream just about everything except for Flo and I think it's more the home games. Not sure why this is??
Yea flo has been brutal.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Yea flo has been brutal.
If I have that problem tomorrow I'm going to be contacting someone for sure. It's B.S.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I agree triplec, no excuses...lesser conferences (MAAC and AE) are on much better platforms with many games free!

I usually need three devices to follow a game...totally turns off any fan but us nuts!

We are paying for GARBAGE!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:I agree triplec, no excuses...lesser conferences (MAAC and AE) are on much better platforms with many games free!

I usually need three devices to follow a game...totally turns off any fan but us nuts!

Definitely agree. Just tough to figure out what issues are from Pride Productions and what are from Flo Sports.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://nuhuskies.com/news/2021/1/6/men ... eries.aspx is titled "Northeastern and Hofstra Battle in Key CAA Series." It includes Coach Bill Coen speaking for 2:20.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/northeastern.i ... 1_7_21.pdf is Northeastern's Game Notes. For the first time under Coach Coen, they don't have any seniors. The previous time they didn't have any seniors was 2002-2003. They have seven players born in other countries, which is the third most in Division I. On Page 4, each player wrote a social justice message.

The Sagarin expects us to win by 6.51 (overall), 5.90 (Predictor), 7.10 (Golden_Mean), and 6.78 (Recent). KenPom thinks we are 1.65 better, which becomes 3.61 if you use the 1.96 for home court in the Sagarin, so the Sagarin expects us to win by more than KenPom.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:I agree triplec, no excuses...lesser conferences (MAAC and AE) are on much better platforms with many games free!

Definitely agree. Just tough to figure out what issues are from Pride Productions and what are from Flo Sports.
That's a good point HM who's to blame here. Last night I streamed from my phone to my TV the replay of the W&M game from beginning to end without a hitch. I just don't get what the problem is.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:https://nuhuskies.com/news/2021/1/6/men ... eries.aspx is titled "Northeastern and Hofstra Battle in Key CAA Series." It includes Coach Bill Coen speaking for 2:20.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/northeastern.i ... 1_7_21.pdf is Northeastern's Game Notes. For the first time under Coach Coen, they don't have any seniors. The previous time they didn't have any seniors was 2002-2003. They have seven players born in other countries, which is the third most in Division I. On Page 4, each player wrote a social justice message.

The Sagarin expects us to win by 6.51 (overall), 5.90 (Predictor), 7.10 (Golden_Mean), and 6.78 (Recent). KenPom thinks we are 1.65 better, which becomes 3.61 if you use the 1.96 for home court in the Sagarin, so the Sagarin expects us to win by more than KenPom.
The only line I've seen on this game is from Newsday and they have us as 3 point favorites.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ESPN has us as a reasonable 4 point favorite and gives us a 79% chance of winning.
Critical game IMO to hold serve in the CAA at home.
Northeastern will be highly motivated to get revenge after losing to us in the championship last March.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... M#team.ind has Northeastern's statistics. Sophomore Tyson Walker and freshmen Jahmyl Telfort and Coleman Stucke combined for 52.4 percent of their points. Juniors Jason Strong (9.4 points and 5.0 rebounds) and Shaquille Walters (9.3 points and 6.8 rebounds) are their top upperclassmen. Junior Greg Eboigbodin averages 4.1 points and 4.1 rebounds. They don't have any seniors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4LUhsgyEbg is titled "Men's #CAA Hoops 3 Point Play Episode 1 (1/7/21)." Both out loud and visually, the CAA mistakenly said both games are at Northeastern. In other news, JMU will host Elon after both teams had their opponents shut down. Elon would have played Towson, and JMU would have played UNCW. Elon at JMU was moved up a week.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=318619 will have statistics.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID74 wrote:ESPN has us as a reasonable 4 point favorite and gives us a 79% chance of winning.
Critical game IMO to hold serve in the CAA at home.
Northeastern will be highly motivated to get revenge after losing to us in the championship last March.
I cant wait for this one. Early season battle, but would mean a lot with a win. Have to show we can be dominate all year.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2021 ... stern.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Northeastern."

Vegas Insider said the line fell from 7 to 4.5, which is still above the line of 3 in Newsday. The over/under is 139. The line and over/under make a score of 72-67.

Cramer will start for the first time. That will make seven players who started for us. Last season our seventh player to start was Klementowicz on Senior Day.