Game #9 Hosting William & Mary 2

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Game #9 Hosting William & Mary 2

Post by Polito »

Overall better than yesterday, although a still sloppy performance, but did enough to grab the W, and that's what matters most. Announcers much higher on their play than I am, but hey they landed in the 80's which is much

Better in a few regards, scoring distribution really nice, but boy does this team struggle to shoot, and the TO's were rampant. Still a WIP. Golden from UR said it best, these guys forget their struggles and just keep firing, they stay aggressive and keep attacking. Vital to have a short memory when you're not a juggernaut, and HU really does.

Ray answered the call today between he and Coburn, and nice to see Coburn hit key FT's to ice. CB making fantastic PG plays - still struggles mightily shooting, but finding other ways to get points - the 1 scoring double figs makes a big impact

Masic showing some nice O game, and equal rookie sloppiness lol - seems like a real heady player, year 1, he'll get it.

What I like a lot is this team has been creating a load of open looks and scoring opportunities - what concerns me the most is their ability to knock down shots - people keep saying it will come... hopefully, though I'm not so sure yet - perhaps this is just a result of the longer development process due to the COVID impact.

Love the D, the effort and energy and effectiveness - esp love the full court press use - and they'll clearly need their D, this team is not going to shoot lights out very often.

Good to see them win two fights, to play through the first back to back weekend, and today dealing with foul trouble and navigating it with a W.

Great learning experience games, went 2-0, now rest up and get ready for the next round next week!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

For now Hofstra not as good as it could be and W&M not as bad as I thought they would be. Still early only 9 games in. Now is Northeastern better than we thought Coen has them primed for conference play. Elon does not look good at all. Delaware and Charleston could both struggle this year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Well said Polito. I agree that our shooting will ultimately get better but I'm not that happy that guys like Green are firing it up from 3 right from the opening tip.

We need to make sure wd get Coburn, Ray and Kante going first IMO.

I'm also concerned about our free throw shooting other than Coburn and Ray...Kante started the season strong but he's been mediocre lately.

I'd like Evan to take a look at what the rest of the team is shooting from the line.

All in all a pretty good weekend. Never REALLY thought we were in danger of losing but this team frustrates you with these long scoring droughts.

Icing on the cake...the GIANTS take Dallas down!!!! Go EAGLES tonight!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Our freshmen are playing like freshmen, Inconsistent. But nice to see when Cramer doesnt have it Masic steps up. Green still learning and will get better. Overall I like what I see and the potential that Cramer, Green and Masic have.
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:Our freshmen are playing like freshmen, Inconsistent. But nice to see when Cramer doesnt have it Masic steps up. Green still learning and will get better. Overall I like what I see and the potential that Cramer, Green and Masic have.
Couldn't agree more Stu! Those three make up a solid core for future seasons. Add in JC next season (who I think will be a PG star), and we are well on our way.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Women won today as well, down in Williamsburg. Nice double-dose of Napoleon beating today!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I know Polito will be happy. Our women now have their first conference win which is one more than last year. Congrats to coach Santos and her staff.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra wrote: Ev, watch Giants on TV, and Hofstra on the computer.
I never watch more than one game at a time.
dutchalum01 wrote: Anyone else’s feed not working?

Edit - disregard. It’s working
I watched after the game, and it didn't work after the under 12 timeout. After trying many times, I gave up and listened on Pride Productions, which conveniently can be heard after the game without telling the score.
HUSID74 wrote: I'm also concerned about our free throw shooting other than Coburn and Ray...Kante started the season strong but he's been mediocre lately.
I was shocked to see that we shot free throws 28/37 = .757. I thought it would be worse. We raised our season percentage from .684 to .696. Here it is by player including today:

Cowart 2/2 = 1.000 (he's gone, but he counts in our team statistics)
Silverio: 8/9 = .889
Ray: 29/33 = .879
Coburn: 50/63 = .794
Burgess: 13/19 = .684
Kante: 35/54 = .648
Masic: 3/5 = .600
Green: 3/6 = .500 (he didn't have any attempts before today)
Schutte: 2/5 = .440
Cramer: 4/18 = .222
Total: 149/214 = .696

Ray played the whole game, Kante and Coburn played 36, Burgess played 34, Masic play 20, Cramer played 16, Green played 14, and Cramer played 4. It was like previous seasons when our top players hardly rested. Burgess and Masic had career-highs in points, and Green tied his career-high. Cramer attempted 1 shot and didn't score.

We shot twos 17/25 = exactly .68, and threes 6/24 = exactly .25. Nobody made more than a third of his threes. If we're shooting twos so much better in a game, a higher percent of our attempts should be twos.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/1/3/men ... -mary.aspx is our recap titled "MBB: Hofstra Puts Five In Double Figures In Win Over William & Mary."
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:I know Polito will be happy. Our women now have their first conference win which is one more than last year. Congrats to coach Santos and her staff.
It's good we keep the women in the conversation and they're actually watchable now with three transfers that start along with Jakayla Brown and Jalen Hines both good players. We certainly may surprise people who picked us for last.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is a team as the season unwinds may have to take their game inside the arc by necessity with the exception of Ray and Coburn. Ray shooting 40% and Tareq shooting 36%. If you look at what everyone else is shooting it paints a dismal picture of our three point inefficiency Cramer .091, Burgess 23%, Green 21%, and Masic also a dismal 13%. IDK out of this bunch who can emerge but we need to keep the opposing teams D honest and start shooting better from out there. Maybe it will be Burgess who will emerge. Hopefully someone.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Completely agree triplec. They need to stop chucking up threes until they prove they can hit at a higher rate. I really hope Burgess can improve from there as he has been very effective driving to the hoop and will be that more dynamic if teams have to respect his outside shot.

Green has shown some good things in his inside game but seems hesitant to do so. With his size he can be very effective inside in this league. I hope the coaches are telling him that.

Masic has also shown some nice flashes going to the hoop and seems to have a mid range game.

Feels like they are settling for 3s early in the shot clock way too often. Ray and Coburn have earned that green light, but the rest of the team isn’t there yet.

Kante has been an absolute beast and agree with all the he may be the best big we’ve had in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

On the post game press conference; Farrelly mentioned that for these two games we only had the 8 scholarship players available that played. He didn't expand on what was due to injury and what was due to something else but he did say they expect a couple back this week. Again didn't expand on who exactly.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes for all the Burgess doubters we start to see his game evolving and he's going to get fouled so he needs to be a proficient FT shooter. He's really quick on both sides of the ball so play to your strengths which is not the three not yet anyway. Same is true with both Cramer and Green. Green a better outside shooter but both these guys can cause problems in the paint. Cramer needs to be active without the ball because he's tough to defend and like we saw the other day he can dunk over players that are much bigger then him and he's fearless. Did someone use the word DOG?? Well let that junkyard dog go to work in the trenches but just like Burgess he can't leave points on the FT line and Kante as well who seems to be slipping a bit from there. We lived off the line for years won many a game from there. Anyone remember UCLA where 24 of our 88 points came from the FT line. How many of those were one and ones. It's like a recording but a valuable part of winning.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:On the post game press conference; Farrelly mentioned that for these two games we only had the 8 scholarship players available that played. He didn't expand on what was due to injury and what was due to something else but he did say they expect a couple back this week. Again didn't expand on who exactly.
Did catch that and was going to mention that here. Thanks HM so who's coming into the mix? Is he referring to Omar or will we finally see Trueheart and Bethea. Right now I would like to see Bethea even though Masic has been a pleasant surprise I think most people would agree, no.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HofstraMathew wrote:On the post game press conference; Farrelly mentioned that for these two games we only had the 8 scholarship players available that played. He didn't expand on what was due to injury and what was due to something else but he did say they expect a couple back this week. Again didn't expand on who exactly.
HofstraMathew always dropping knowledge on us. Kudos. Much appreciate the info nuggets you share.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:
Did catch that and was going to mention that here. Thanks HM so who's coming into the mix? Is he referring to Omar or will we finally see Trueheart and Bethea. Right now I would like to see Bethea even though Masic has been a pleasant surprise I think most people would agree, no.
Hopefully we can get some additional information regarding this on the CCC Chronicles tonight.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Hopefully we can get some additional information regarding this on the CCC Chronicles tonight.
Yes good point but somebody/anybody needs to ask the questions and find out the status of both Bethea and Trueheart and throw Silverio into the mix.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just sent an e-mail to Mike Neely to have someone pose the questions concerning Truehearts status as well as Silverio's and when we can expect Zion to make his debut?? We'll see if these questions are posed tonight to Speedy and Curtin??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Kante was CAA Player of the Week. He is up to eighth in Division I with 11.4 rebounds.

Only two CAA players are averaging at least 1 block, and it only takes 3/7 = 0.43 to be tied for fifteenth. We have five of the CAA leaders. If you looked at the statistics every day we've been in the CAA, I wonder if we've ever had five players listed in blocks, especially if you require at least 5 games. With 5/9 = 0.56, Ray, Coburn, and Kante are tied for ninth. With 4/9 = 0.44, Schutte, Cramer, and Charleston's Osinachi Smart are tied for twelfth.

Ray leads the CAA with 36.9 minutes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:Just sent an e-mail to Mike Neely to have someone pose the questions concerning Truehearts status as well as Silverio's and when we can expect Zion to make his debut?? We'll see if these questions are posed tonight to Speedy and Curtin??
OK so Gorchov did ask the questions before the Chronicles started and Speedy responded to what is going on with all three players. My take on it is this; Silverio has an upper body injury and will be back soon. Trueheart has not played because of a leg injury and is expected to be available for the next game. Speedy said that Zion is home with his family following the death of his father and will be back with the team but will have to quarantine. I myself had to quarantine in November after I came back from Florida so I believe once he comes back to N.Y. he will have to wait 4 days then take a Covid test if it's negative then his quarantine period is over and he can play immediately. This assumes he took a Covid test in N.J. At any rate it appears we will see him soon. If anyone else has a different take on this feel free to share it.