A Kudos to Evan (and HUSID)!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

A Kudos to Evan (and HUSID)!

Post by Polito »

I know it was already mentioned in another thread as they received a twitter shoutout from HU basketball, but thought I'd give us all a chance to throw some well deserved love to these two in their own thread!

HUSID coming in strong with the ranked win historical knowledge, impressive 8-) always appreciate our chats and your insight!

Evan especially, man you are really something and bring unique value to this board (and to the conf as I see you post throughout the CAA) - we're lucky to have ya, thanks for being the stats guy. I love numbers but the deep dives isn't really my thing, so I am very grateful that it is YOUR thing! I oftentimes find myself throwing a question or stat need your way, just kind of "expecting" you to pick it up, and you do every time to perfection! And nary a complaint.

You are damn good at it, so I wanted to say thanks for all you do, since I don't enough, and to please keep feeding us that great data!
HofstraPride1

Re: A Kudos to Evan (and HUSID)!

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:I know it was already mentioned in another thread as they received a twitter shoutout from HU basketball, but thought I'd give us all a chance to throw some well deserved love to these two in their own thread!

HUSID coming in strong with the ranked win historical knowledge, impressive 8-) always appreciate our chats and your insight!

Evan especially, man you are really something and bring unique value to this board (and to the conf as I see you post throughout the CAA) - we're lucky to have ya, thanks for being the stats guy. I love numbers but the deep dives isn't really my thing, so I am very grateful that it is YOUR thing! I oftentimes find myself throwing a question or stat need your way, just kind of "expecting" you to pick it up, and you do every time to perfection! And nary a complaint.

You are damn good at it, so I wanted to say thanks for all you do, since I don't enough, and to please keep feeding us that great data!
I echo what Polito said. Amazing historic knowledge HUSID and Evan you never cease to amaze me with your stats and analytics.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thank you. I'll tell my sources:

1. https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... OFSTRA.HTM and equivalent pages for every CAA team going back to 2005-2006. I have Hofstra's statistics downloaded from the NCAA for every season. The America East goes farther back than the CAA, so you can find our statistics from I think three seasons there easier than you can find it for our first four seasons in the CAA.

2. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/ is the College Basketball at Sports-Reference Play Index. Sports-Reference combined their play indexes into Stathead and made it much more expensive, but it's still worth it.

A lot of what I find is observing something in a box score that I think could be rare and using a play index to find out. I can link to where I search, but looking at box scores and knowing when to look for a rare event is a natural ability that can't be taught. In some cases, it helps to know how common it is to get at least X of Statistic Y.
Years ago I was cited several times by Jayson Stark when he worked for ESPN.

I tweet at twitter.com/EvanJ3535 and I am most active during MLB season. I made a Word file of 846 rare events ("rare events" is the term I made up) and counting in various sports going back to 2010, and I will e-mail it to anybody who wants it. It is 141 pages in Word with 1.5 spacing and one blank line after each event. You can search within the file for any team or term you want.

I love numbers. I wish I could make money with sports statistics working from home. I would never agree to finding rare events at a certain rate because I can't control how often they happen. I will not do a job that requires going to games (in general, not just because of the pandemic).
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Evan and HUSID, We are all very fortunate to have both of you contribute to the boards. Thanks so much for all you do. A safe 2021 to you and your loved ones.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Both are indispensable assets to the board.

EvanJ - it might be better to convert your big file to a Google doc and you can control sharing with people who request it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Both are great assets to this blog - for sure.
I for one - love the "Flying Dutchman Fans" blog - excellent group - knowledgeable, informative, opinionated and respectful -
a Happy Healthy New Year - a Great Better 2021 - to all!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Thanks guys!!!! Appreciate the shoutout!!! Happy New Year to all!
And to Polito....appreciate your PASSION!!!!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Everyone including the POWERS THAT BE Polito, HUSID and Evan for all his due diligence most of it that goes over my head and all the great posts that keep everyone informed here. I'm proud to be a part of this group that continues to support HU sports.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

We may not always share the same opinions. It would be boring and we wouldn't learn much if we did. What we share is a love for Hofstra and a passion for Hofstra athletics. Given the divisiveness of the times, it is a credit to all how civil and apolitical the board has remained. Let's hope our numbers increase along with Hofstras accomplishments. Go Pride!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To fiftiespride and triplec2195, Very well written! I agree 100%!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:To fiftiespride and triplec2195, Very well written! I agree 100%!
TY Shadow everyone has good insights and valuable knowledge to impart here. Some of us who have been around a long time have found it interesting to see how this game of basketball and HU has evolved over the years.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

EvanJ always has the best factoids. Real asset to the boards.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote: Both are indispensable assets to the board.

EvanJ - it might be better to convert your big file to a Google doc and you can control sharing with people who request it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I don't want it to be something that anyone can edit. It's big in terms of pages, but not memory. It's 164 KB. Text without graphics or colors uses only a little memory per page.

I came up with something about field goal percentage to work on. I'll use last season to have a larger sample size. I'll do it for all 79 CAA players who were regulars (using my definition of at least 10 minutes per team game) in 2019-2020, and it's less than 79 because my calculations aren't relevant for every player.

Your welcome for the compliments and Happy New Year!