Game 8 Hosting William & Mary on 1/2/2021 at 2:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: Game 8 Hosting William & Mary on 1/2/2021 at 2:00 P.M.

Post by Pride97 »

Wags wrote:and shout out to Burgess, who still can't shoot (4/12 today), but continues to show good AST/TO ration at the point. 7 asts (half of HU's 14) and NO turnovers for him in 36 minutes today.
Agree with the much deserved shout out here Wags. I think CB is really starting to mature and show signs of taking the next step. Some of those misses were layups that i think he cleans up as he starts to figure out his touch as he drives to the hoop (which i love that he is doing). He hits two of those and he shoots 50% for the day.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

A W&M fan on CSNBBS said he didn't know the last time he saw a game with 90 rebounds before today. That made me use the College Basketball at Sports-Reference Play Index to find out that it was the first time from 2010-2011 to the present that both teams scored 61 or fewer points and had at least 45 rebounds.

W&M fans praised our announcers. Normally our announcers get criticized by fans of other teams. If you don't like the other team's announcers, you have to listen to them two days in a row, watch with the sound muted, or listen without watching. A W&M fan said that he couldn't watch muted and hear their announcers because it wasn't in sync, and a fan said it was because W&M's announcers weren't at the game. They were watching on Flo. In that case it should be possible to pause Flo for a few seconds to get them in sync, and that's useful to know if we have any away games where you want to mute their announcers and use ours. If the audio is ahead of the video, it doesn't work because you can't pause audio.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Thought I heard our announcer say, "William and Mary playing good defense, especially when Hofstra has the ball"
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Just finished watching the game- overall good effort, ball movement, flow to the offense- shots did not fall, but this will come. Could have had more of a killer instinct to put away an inferior opponent- shouldn't have gone down to a one possession game with a minute to go, but its a W. I like what we have- it is a mystery with OS and ST. Either could have gotten some minutes in search of a hot hand.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

A win is a win

Think we should be able to beatW&M by more then 5 and itd be nice if we can do it on back to back games.

First game really getting to watch our "new' team

I like BURGESS - I think he does things that are good (not great) and believe he can get better
RAY - tough shooting night - but what I did like was he didnt force it - he did some rally good things (rebounded, a few nice passes)
The streakest player in Hofstra history - COBURN - is our Swiss Army Knife - does a lil' bit of everything - again like JR not a great shooting night - but was one of the keys to our "D" tonight - he might lead us in any one category but will be in the top 3 of almost every key stat
the guy literally gets 1% better every game I see him - KANTE - is a beast and beast needs to eat and when he eats he gets better - we are finally utilizing him - reminds me of past HU (04-06) big Adrian Uter - Kante probably better on O/ Uter a bit more active on D
GREEN/CRAMER - if you combine there stats we are getting 10 points and 8 rebounds out of that position - different players for sure - GREEN you see the athleticism but he his lost a bit/needs to drive once in while and get draw fouls; CRAMER jeez - what do say - the dunks are nice but what I am impressed with is his "D"/ he anticipation is uncanny - I like what we have in the young 2-headed monster GREEMER.
SCHUTTTE - gives you quality limited active minutes - a much MUCH improved basketball player who came he as a complete project - a nice compliment to I know
MASIC - not a large body of work to see but he gets his minutes at times where the game means something - he seems to me to be a mature smart decision maker with the ball
SILVERIO and TRUEHART - MIA

So with FARRELLY at the reins - do i see any differences - subtly - I think there is a slight more usage of our bench/ seems like we use a loose press a bit more/ more of an emphasis on our D which has been much more of a factor

Go Pride Beat W&M!!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The pregame celebration for the 19-20 team was nicely done. However all the coaches except Joe gave commentary and makes me very concerned for his health, hoping to see some positive news on that front soon.

This was a game where hofstra played down to the competition, that was the worst Mary's team I've ever seen. Farrelly coached loose (Green playing and taking multiple 3s in crunch time for instance) but I never felt the game was in doubt, even with the terrible shooting night. Might get him in trouble against a better team.

Silverio is out of the classic 8 man rotation that it seems Farrelly runs, Masic is ahead of him and deservedly so. No info here other than him not being in attendance but would not be surprised if he is leaving looking for more playing time.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great comments and feedback, agree with all, not much more to be said. Take the W and move on. HU is clearly a much better team, but certainly played 'down' and did not play well - the college has gone through tremendous change and are essentially building a new program - their new 'talent' is young, long way to go, but hey they kept things way too close - part them part HU, is what it is - right the way today.

Loewe is a really solid player, and excellent on D - he shut HU down last year (Buie), and did so again on his guy yesterday (Ray for the most part). Let's see how day 2 plays out if it impacts either player more than the other.

This isn't a great opponent to make this claim against, other CAA teams will of course be tougher, but no matter, Kante is truly an excellent big - strong as an ox, will go down as one of the best in HU history IMO. Probably already there, but another yr to cement. Feels like he is really on the verge of complete conf dominance as his overall game seems to be blossoming - really nice combo of soft touch and in your face - feed that beast!

Burgess, would've had 10+ assists if the team could shoot yesterday lol. Keep building that O game, work in progress, love him scoring 8-12 a game - will be a tremendous boost when he does.

Cramer, whhooweee did he put their big on a poster. Fully agree daHUPride, he isn't just dunks - this kid has developing game. Green also oozing with potential, just needs experience to mature his game. When they attack the basket they seem unstoppable with their size / length.

Masic vs Silverio, I think it's pretty clear that the staff simply trusts Masic more - he's not a game changer, but he isn' t going to hurt you, and I think they feel better about that, and certainly can't blame them. Man, have been pulling for OS so much, he has X factor potential, but you know what, it's been 2 programs and a couple of years for him, just not seeing it - at some point ya have to call it.

Looking forward to game 2, I think HU is going to come out with some fire to correct this matchup.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

W&M fans don't know why two of their players didn't play. Forward Ben Wight started 3 of 5 games before yesterday. He averages 4.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in 18.8 minutes. Point guard Thornton Scott averaged 24.0 minutes having played in 4 of 5 games before yesterday. He averages 1.8 points because he shot field goals 2-12, but he averages 3.0 assists, and he has more assists per minute than Loewe, who averages 3.0 assists. Without Wight, they didn't have a forward in the bench. Thatcher Stone is listed as a guard/forward. He's 6'6'', but his rebounds per minute are low for a forward, and he's attempted more threes than twos. Quinn Blair committed 4 fouls yesterday. If Wight is unavailable, it will be good to get Blair and/or Mekhel Harvey in foul trouble.

Edit: CAA fans voted Kante the Player of the Night. It should have been called "Player of the Day."

Edit Again: Burgess became our fifth player since 2010-2011 to have at least 9 points, at least 7 rebounds, and at least 7 assists. In reverse chronological order:

Pemberton did it on January 30, 2020
Buie did it on December 19, 2019
Green did it six times: February 21, 2016; January 24, 2016; January 9, 2016; February 25, 2015; December 28, 2014; and December 10, 2014
Jenkins did it on November 11, 2013. That doesn't mean he only did it once. The College Basketball at Sports-Reference Play Index only includes his senior season.

We won all ten games by at least 4 points. Burgess's Game Score of 10.0 was the worst of the ten, and he was the only one to do it with exactly 9 points.