Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week

Post by EvanJ »

Jalen Ray was Player of the Week, and Kvonn Cramer was Rookie of the Week. It was the first time we had both since JWF and Ray on December 11, 2017. Ray also won it on February 26, 2018, and we didn't have any Rookies of the Week in 2018-2019 or 2019-2020. Before that you have to go back to November 19, 2012, when two of the four thieves did it. Shaquille Stokes was co-Player of the Week, and Jimmy Hall was Rookie of the Week. We also did that:

2009-2010: 3
February 1, 2010: Charles Jenkins co-POW, Chaz Williams ROW
February 15, 2010: Charles Jenkins co-POW, Chaz Williams ROW (not a typo, this line is the same as the previous line except for adding a "5" after the "1"
March 1, 2010: Charles Jenkins co-POW, Halil Kanacevic ROW

2007-2008: 1
February 25, 2008: Antoine Agudio POW, Charles Jenkins ROW

2004-2005: 1
December 13, 2004: Loren Stokes co-POW, Antoine Agudio ROW

This week was the eighth time we did that.
daHUPride

Re: Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week

Post by daHUPride »

EvanJ wrote:Jalen Ray was Player of the Week, and Kvonn Cramer was Rookie of the Week. It was the first time we had both since JWF and Ray on December 11, 2017. Ray also won it on February 26, 2018, and we didn't have any Rookies of the Week in 2018-2019 or 2019-2020. Before that you have to go back to November 19, 2012, when two of the four thieves did it. Shaquille Stokes was co-Player of the Week, and Jimmy Hall was Rookie of the Week. We also did that:

2009-2010: 3
February 1, 2010: Charles Jenkins co-POW, Chaz Williams ROW
February 15, 2010: Charles Jenkins co-POW, Chaz Williams ROW (not a typo, this line is the same as the previous line except for adding a "5" after the "1"
March 1, 2010: Charles Jenkins co-POW, Halil Kanacevic ROW

2007-2008: 1
February 25, 2008: Antoine Agudio POW, Charles Jenkins ROW

2004-2005: 1
December 13, 2004: Loren Stokes co-POW, Antoine Agudio ROW

This week was the eighth time we did that.
Those - all of them - were some GOOD HU players. Some - CW and HK - stayed to short of a time for me.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I wonder the main reasons they both left. We would have had a really good team with Chaz running the point and Jenkins in the backcourt. Chaz was a first team player in the A-10 AND an assists machine. Kanacevic I'm not as familiar with. He transferred to St. Joes.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

triplec2195 wrote:I wonder the main reasons they both left. We would have had a really good team with Chaz running the point and Jenkins in the backcourt. Chaz was a first team player in the A-10 AND an assists machine. Kanacevic I'm not as familiar with. He transferred to St. Joes.
They both left because Pecora left for Fordham. He wanted both guys to follow him there but Hofstra denied them from transferring to any local schools. So they both landed at different A-10 schools instead.

Pecora left 1 year too soon and probably regrets it. His 2011 team would have been loaded and the best HU team since 2006. They would have been legit CAA contenders and probably would have finally knocked off VCU/ODU and GM in Richmond with that team. Felt bad for Charles Jenkins, who deserved better his SR year. He still led them to a 14-4 conference record that year but ODU was too much for him to beat alone in the CAA Semis. Imagine what they could have done with Chaz and Halil.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

One of my favorite "What if" topics! People seem to forget how good Halil was his 1 year with us... the stats don't totally tell the story and he never prospered at St. Joes. He was a major factor on the court from day 1, with a gritty inside game and a soft touch in a 6'8'', wide frame.

Him and Chaz were the future, and both would have dominated and gained national attention for themselves and our program.

This of course leads into all of the "what if" possibilities around Tim Welsh and Mo Cassara... which includes:
- What if Jimmy Hall played all four years for us? He was a DOMINANT big man and went on to play at a high level for Kent State.
- What if Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was healthy? He was a top 40 recruit in the nation his senior year in High School.
- What if Shaquille Stokes, Jimmy Hall, Kentrell Washington and Dallas Anglin weren't idiots who stole laptops from their peers? This is always a juicy topic...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HU87 wrote:One of my favorite "What if" topics! People seem to forget how good Halil was his 1 year with us... the stats don't totally tell the story and he never prospered at St. Joes. He was a major factor on the court from day 1, with a gritty inside game and a soft touch in a 6'8'', wide frame.

Him and Chaz were the future, and both would have dominated and gained national attention for themselves and our program.

This of course leads into all of the "what if" possibilities around Tim Welsh and Mo Cassara... which includes:
- What if Jimmy Hall played all four years for us? He was a DOMINANT big man and went on to play at a high level for Kent State.
- What if Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was healthy? He was a top 40 recruit in the nation his senior year in High School.
- What if Shaquille Stokes, Jimmy Hall, Kentrell Washington and Dallas Anglin weren't idiots who stole laptops from their peers? This is always a juicy topic...
I forgot the timing of Pecora leaving my bad. I remember watching Chaz and Jenkins playing against St John’s. Chaz a freshman obviously. He was a major recruit for us probably had plenty of offers and one of the best players coming out of NY that year. When it comes to the infamous bunch of kids that caused our program to go backwards I have no use for them. I don’t really care about how good they were. Yes Hall had a good career at Kent State but he was known as problematic at his HS before he ever got here. Jamaal Combs another character who I think thought it was a joke that he went from Riches to Rags coming here. He didn’t play a second here and Taran Buie another bad boy. I’m happy to see the quality kids now that are part of this program. We have real integrity with this program now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HU87 wrote:One of my favorite "What if" topics! People seem to forget how good Halil was his 1 year with us... the stats don't totally tell the story and he never prospered at St. Joes. He was a major factor on the court from day 1, with a gritty inside game and a soft touch in a 6'8'', wide frame.

Pecora leaving will always probably be the biggest what if question - that starting 5 would have been the best in program history with chaz williams, jenkins, moore, kanacevic, and washington.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I like the guards here no question they would have done damage but know little about Kanacevic he wasn't here that long. Greg Washington although a prolific shot blocker wasn't much of a scorer and didn't pull down that many rebounds on average. IDK if this team could be considered our best starting 5??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Getting back on topic the only time Hofstra won the CAA (conference championship) We did not have the CAA player of the year Buie came in second to the William and Mary center Im sure Jaylyn Ray and Kvonn Cramer would trade individual honors for another CAA championship and a trip to the NCAAs
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We played 19 complete seasons in the CAA. In our first four seasons, the POY was on the team that won the regular season and CAA Tournament. In the last 15 seasons, only one POY won the CAA Tournament that season, and that was VCU's Eric Maynor in 2008-2009. The CAA has gone 11 consecutive seasons without the POY winning the CAA Tournament.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Evan what year did delaware win the CAA with POY Sadler on the team
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Saddler never won POY. Delaware won the CAA Tournament in 2014, which was the second consecutive POY for Towson's Jerrelle Benimon. After not being drafted. Benimon was signed by Utah and had 0 points and 3 rebounds in two games combined on March 10 and 12, 2015. I have awards voting saved going back to 2014-2015, so I can't tell you if Saddler came close to Benimon in 2013-2014.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Aaahhh that lineup had TP stayed one more year was MONEY. The talent, at this level especially, sheez they could've hung with just about anyone in the country. Course that presumes all the chemistry would be right and all that - always still a bit of intangibles there, but man hard not to salivate thinking of that core!!

The chance to level up and grab 600k a year at the time was too tough for TP to pass up - I def get it, BUT if he had really thought it through, knowing what he had returning, he could've made a HUGE name for himself and likely landed an even bigger gig. A CAA champ and NCAAT berth during that version of the CAA would've been major for him and HU.

Chaz was really something, oozing with top level talent - and Kanacevic was very very skilled with fantastic size. Both were big gets for HU.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Aaahhh that lineup had TP stayed one more year was MONEY. The talent, at this level especially, sheez they could've hung with just about anyone in the country. Course that presumes all the chemistry would be right and all that - always still a bit of intangibles there, but man hard not to salivate thinking of that core!!

The chance to level up and grab 600k a year at the time was too tough for TP to pass up - I def get it, BUT if he had really thought it through, knowing what he had returning, he could've made a HUGE name for himself and likely landed an even bigger gig. A CAA champ and NCAAT berth during that version of the CAA would've been major for him and HU.

Chaz was really something, oozing with top level talent - and Kanacevic was very very skilled with fantastic size. Both were big gets for HU.
Pecora has admitted he made a mistake leaving at that time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk