Game 7 @ Richmond, 12/22/20, 2 PM on SNY & ESPN+ - Note Time

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Game 7 @ Richmond, 12/22/20, 2 PM on SNY & ESPN+ - Note

Post by triplec2195 »

A really big win but although mostly positive our PG needs to play better and without beating a dead horse he needs to score some. He scores 2 points in 34 minutes misses the front end of a one and one and has 4 turnovers. I believe he's driving more and penetrating I think he needs to shoot more when he penetrates. I'm not really going to play the devil's advocate again with OS BUT think there's a reason he wasn't in that game other then those who say he's an out of control chucker. We'll see and personally I have no problem with VM although when you start to talk about FT shooting OS is a decent FT shooter. Once Zion is ready to play we will see him get some minutes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:According to the Louisville website we played them in 1997 and lost 76-66 also played the in 2013 and lost by 28
This is just my recollection of something I heard I personally don't remember this I recall beating Georgia Tech but don't think they were ranked. We beat Florida state in the paradise jam the year before they became ranked.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Kante was awesome. Really coming into his own now and scored a lot of different ways today. Showed some nice moves and looked VERY confident (can i even say DOG Polito?)
Yes you can P97 lol - Except for his first 2 months where he was lost and the poor hustle play against RU, Kante IS a beast and IS a dog and I have already declared him as the best big in the conf before the season began. He is so strong, and unbelievably quick, he can be so dominant - he gets after it and takes it right to opponents - his in your face approach is what makes him a dog. HAVE to hit FTs, but he's not alone there!

On Ray, I want to note I also finally saw him take the leader role yesterday a few times on the broadcast by grabbing guys on the floor, guiding, directing, teaching, LEADING. Not sure if he did that at MU, was only able to listen, but I haven't seen that so much yet personally, and that has been the big missing piece for me, so this is huge. Combine that vocal initiative and him raising his scoring, and THAT'S the leader the team needs.

It's funny Dooku, I actually don't even think he's playing at his highest level yet, even yesterday - I actually felt he was sloppy at times and got frustrated, perhaps by some of his play or by the D being played on him - I have seen some of that from him as he is now getting the bulk of the opponents defensive attention - all part of the learning process for him though to go from #3 to #1. He IS getting it though, finally, so I am really encouraged.

Love plays for Green and Cramer inside - I'm def good with Green taking a few 3's per game as well, he can hit them, did it in HS, as long as he doesn't just repeatedly chuck up - but both have such great length, they can really attack and finish in the post. When they develop they will be a LOAD for anyone to slow down.

Burgess didn't have a particularly good game, but he just needs to keep working hard and find his place in all this.

I also think Zion is going to get minutes when he's ready (losing his dad may impact that timeline of course). Masic is alright, but I don't see a big impact there at least yet. He's in there a lot mostly out of necessity IMO - OS not being the X factor they need, Zion injured, etc. The good thing with him is he's smart and seems to understand to play his role - doesn't hurt the team at all, and that's prob something the coaches appreciate.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Triplec we beat Georgia Tech in the Holiday Tournament at MSG during the Jay Wright years and got the GT coach Bobby Cremins fired. Way back when during the Rich Laurel era there were wins against Virginia and Florida I think, but don't think they were ranked. Also think both Virginia and Florida came here if you imagine that. The BB world has certainly changed.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

triplec2195 wrote:I thought at some point in time we beat Louisville when they were ranked top 20 in the AP??
I remember that game, a close loss, on Thanksgiving '97 in Puerto Rico I believe. I remember it somewhat vividly, it was televised on SportsChannel, first time I realized Hofstra was D-1, first time I saw Speedy play. Needless to say, I got hooked.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I thought at some point in time we beat Louisville when they were ranked top 20 in the AP??
I remember that game, a close loss, on Thanksgiving '97 in Puerto Rico I believe. I remember it somewhat vividly, it was televised on SportsChannel, first time I realized Hofstra was D-1, first time I saw Speedy play. Needless to say, I got hooked.
SO FD are u saying it was a close loss for Louisville and if so were they ranked at the time??
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

close loss for Hofstra, not sure if they were ranked.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: I thought at some point in time we beat Louisville when they were ranked top 20 in the AP??
We lost 75-66. In AP Polls, Louisville was 22nd on November 18 and 19th in November 25 before dropping out for the rest of the season. In Coaches Polls, Louisville was 19th on November 25 and 25th on December 2 before dropping out for the rest of the season. After the Preseason Polls, the first AP Poll was November 18, and the first Coaches Poll was November 25. That's for 1997-1998. It's nice that the NCAA Record Book has every AP Poll and Coaches Poll ever.

Kante leads the CAA with 10.7 rebounds, which is 15th in Division I according to ESPN. John Irving averaged 16.2 in 1976-1977. In the 43 seasons from 1977-1978 through 2019-2020, we had only two players average at least 10.7 rebounds in a season. Adeleke averaged 11.0 in 2002-2003, and Gustys did it in his last three seasons with 13.0, 12.1, and 12.0. Our annual leaders shows David Taylor with 10.7 in 1981-1982, but he averaged 10.65, which is less than Kante's current 10.71. Taylor, Adeleke, and Gustys are our only players to average double-digits in those 43 seasons.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote:Triplec we beat Georgia Tech in the Holiday Tournament at MSG during the Jay Wright years and got the GT coach Bobby Cremins fired. Way back when during the Rich Laurel era there were wins against Virginia and Florida I think, but don't think they were ranked. Also think both Virginia and Florida came here if you imagine that. The BB world has certainly changed.
Yes so true I thought we played S Carolina some years ago as well here??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

What a NICE Win!!!!

Green and Cramer are different players then we normally have here - I guess they remind of a, more athletic, Tanksley.

Ive always loved Coburn. When hes hot - hes insanely unstoppable; but he is streaky.

Kante - a player who literally got better ever single game last year - this year he better and tougher then i ever though would be

Ray - also better then I could have imaged - I always though of him as instant O, off the bench - I am such a better fan then coach; Ray has expanded his game and has become such a nice player for our school.

Farrelly - tip your cap to him; we knew his was a good communicator - but for any coach coming off losses to Iona and St B and bouncing back with W's vs Monmouth and Richmond are not easy feats for veteran coaches - his players respond - good for him (and his staff)

Wish we were there!!!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Triplec, played South Carolina at the old Physical Fitness Center in 1980, but it was a loss.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A tribute game for Frank McGuire Mikey??
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Triplec - Don't know. Interesting thought.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We beat Southern Illinois in the PItt Classic when they were ranked and had a player named Mike Glenn.....We won that tournament beating Duqueunse in the first round. They had a great player named Norm Nixon.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Mikey77 wrote:Triplec we beat Georgia Tech in the Holiday Tournament at MSG during the Jay Wright years and got the GT coach Bobby Cremins fired. Way back when during the Rich Laurel era there were wins against Virginia and Florida I think, but don't think they were ranked. Also think both Virginia and Florida came here if you imagine that. The BB world has certainly changed.
Pecora was the coach for the Georgia Tech win. The Virginia game was a return game after we played down there in Larel's junior year. It was played at the Nassau Coliseum.
In those years we played a couple of games at the Coliseum.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:
Pecora was the coach for the Georgia Tech win. The Virginia game was a return game after we played down there in Larel's junior year. It was played at the Nassau Coliseum.
In those years we played a couple of games at the Coliseum.
the georgia tech win was in 98 right around this time of year. we just were talking about it in the thread about the 98-99 team video. pecora did have a game against GT at their building in 2003 but lost.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:We beat Southern Illinois in the PItt Classic when they were ranked and had a player named Mike Glenn.....We won that tournament beating Duqueunse in the first round. They had a great player named Norm Nixon.
What year was that HUSID??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The second NCAA team, 76-77
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: We beat Southern Illinois in the PItt Classic when they were ranked and had a player named Mike Glenn.....We won that tournament beating Duqueunse in the first round. They had a great player named Norm Nixon.
It's great that you knew that. I will tell Hofstra they were wrong in saying this was our second ranked win because we previous beat Southern Illinois (who was 18th in both polls then) and George Mason.