Jojogunne

Game 7 @ Richmond, 12/22/20, 2 PM on SNY & ESPN+ - Note Time

Post by Jojogunne »

Day game down at Richmond on Tuesday:

https://gohofstra.com/documents/2020/12 ... 1game7.pdf
Hof_Judge99

Re: Game 7 @ Richmond, 12/22/20, 2 PM on SNY & ESPN+ - Note

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

12/22/20* Good to know though, wish we had more tv games.
Polito

Post by Polito »

The final OOC game, seems like it has arrived so fast! And another tough one to boot - really love the OOC this year, all intriguing games. Ecstatic this one is on TV, cleared my meetings to watch!

UR is 7-1, looking strong as expected, 25ish team, only L to top 10 WVU. They are missing Sherod this yr due to injury, but remain experienced and talented - the pick to win the A10, just ahead of SBU. A starter heavy team, they don't go too deep into their bench much, 1-2 guys will go over 10 min a game. They score in the 70's and ALL 5 of their starters can get buckets - I think all of them may avg double figs, but sure Evan can confirm :D

As I've been saying, HU has got to score more - 60's isn't enough most times, and likely won't be in this one either. I know the focus has been on D, rightly so, but HU is not going to shut down good teams - they can contain, but 70's to an opponent like UR IS containing, so HU needs to get points.

UR is strong, but of course have their vulnerabilities as well. They are not huge in size, matter of fact rather small, even compared to HU - I like the matchups in that regard. Related, they are not a massive rebounding team. Granted some of that has to do with their strong scoring (less boards), but it's something I think HU can and should maximize.

HU really needs to get something from the 1 and 4 spots - literally any kind of actual production on O from CB, Cramer, and Green will go a long way in this one, and the rest of the season.

The D from both squads will prob be pretty good, so this will be a battle. If HU brings their 2nd half of SBU version, I actually think they can keep this one close enough to give themselves a chance. If they play like 1st half of SBU, well, we all know lol. Green and Cramer are going to be challenged in this one, UR has wing talent. Kante matches up well IMO, bring the intensity and DOG we are starting to see recently and he could have a big game.

Ray and Coburn, same mantra every week, they will need to 'show up' TOGETHER. One on and one off isn't going to cut it tomorrow, just like SBU, no matter how awesome that one plays. This team needs both. CB has good size for his UR counters, he'll be challenged with their ability but looking for him to play lock down D. Will have to keep their guards in check to have any chance.

Either way I see a really challenging test for a still finding its way HU team - prob about a 10 pt difference if I had to guess. But their are some areas here I think HU can play with, so oddly enough I give them a slightly better chance to upset than against SBU?? Hoping that the experience of playing the likes of Rutgers and St Bon with tough mids in between starts to click a tad!

Then again I'm prob just still hopped up on snow blower fumes :lol: looking forward to watching them live, another chance to grow, GO HU!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Any news on the status of Stafford T and Zion B? Are they injured, red shirting, or something else?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: I think all of them may avg double figs, but sure Evan can confirm :D
Many websites have statistics for every team. I don't like how the A10 shows their statistics leaders, but I don't need that to know about one team. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2021.html has their statistics. They have 17 players on the roster, of whom 11 have played. Those players average 16.4, 14.0, 12.9, 11.9, 11.7, 4.2, 3.7, 2.9, 1.3, 0.8, and 0.0. Andre Gustavson, who averages 4.2 points, is their only bench player averaging at least 10 minutes. They're similar to us last season. Percent of points from starters is 87.15 for them and was 91.29 for us last season, and percent of minutes from starters is exactly 79.5 for them and 83.60 for us last season. Our use of starters last season was even more extreme than them this season. Richmond shoots twos .575, which is extremely good.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2020/12/20/m ... esday.aspx is our preview titled "MBB: Hofstra Faces Richmond On Tuesday."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 1game7.pdf is our Game Notes.

Richmond has not written a preview.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=319471 will have statistics.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As far as this teams scoring is concerned and I'll be redundant Green starting I just don't get but he's only averaging 13.2 minutes and averaging 1.8 points a game I think he only scored in 1 of the 6 games he has played in. His last game his first two shots were very decent shots and rimmed in and out but I don't foresee getting a lot of scoring from Green. Eventually he will be a productive scorer I'm sure. As far as Cramer is concerned we know about his ability and he's going to get us some points but c'mon shooting 20% from the charity stripe. We used to say nobody is worse then Rok when it comes to shooting free throws but here it is. IDK if anybody finds this incredulous but I certainly do Cramer must have been a bad free throw shooter for a long time and with all the time off that he had to work on his game you would think he would be shooting better from the line. If he's on the floor in a close game he's going to be fouled intentionally just like they use to do with Gustys until we kept him on the bench for the least two minutes of a close game.

In terms of Burgess we're going to get more scoring from him and at least lately he has looked steady at the F.T. line. He needs to penetrate more and look to score in the paint and we're seeing more of that from him. I don't think he's going to give us any proficiency from beyond the ARC but this will come in time.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Might be ugly tomorrow. Richmond might lay the wood
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Richmond is currently a 13 point favorite.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ranked for a reason, no doubt. But I'm looking forward to watching, crazy tough test on the heels of one, let's see how they respond - moved my meetings around to do so!

One key, would love to see CB use his size advantage on his opponent in this one and attack the lane to create opps for himself (contact, pull ups, layups) and his teammates (great kick outs). If the perimeter guys can hit some shots, it could at least be a game. But please no ridiculously huge deficits this time around, play a good game and let's see what happens!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Just noticed on the SNY guide for WEDNESDAY December 23rd, the Hofstra vs Richmond is repeated at 2:00 pm in case anyone missed the Tuesday telecast.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: As far as this teams scoring is concerned and I'll be redundant Green starting I just don't get but he's only averaging 13.2 minutes and averaging 1.8 points a game I think he only scored in 1 of the 6 games he has played in.
He scored 6 points in one game and 5 points in one game for a total of 11 and an average of 11/6 = 1.8(3 repeating) that rounds to 1.3.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=319471 still has Cowart listed as available, so Richmond didn't get the memo that he left. Richmond has 15 players. 7 have played in every game, 4 have played some games, and 4 haven't played. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2021.html has Richmond's statistics, and they list 17 players. Richmond has used the same starters every game. Nathan Cayo and Grant Golden shoots twos very well and rarely attempt threes. Tyler Burton leads them with 8.4 rebounds, but he shoots twos only .452. Blake Francis leads them in threes made and attempted and shoots them .367. Jacob Gilyard has the second most threes attempted and shoots them .275. Burton shoots them .429 and is their other player who averages at least 1.5 threes attempted. Other than shooting threes, Gilyard is great. He shoots twos .543, shoots free throws .800, and averages a whopping 6.0 assists and 4.4 steals. He leads Division I in steals, and the second most is 3.9. Nobody has averaged at least 4.4 steals since two players did it in 2001-2002. If the season was over now, he would have the sixth most steals per game in Division I history. Golden is second with 3.0 assists.

Edit: I'm disappointed the starters aren't posted yet. The CAA are road underdogs in all four games today. W&M is at Virginia at 2:00 P.M., JMU is at VCU at 4:00 P.M., and Northeastern is at Georgia at 7:00 P.M. W&M at Virginia is on ACC Network, so the CAA has two televised games at the same time. Our opponents had two games postponed, Siena at Drexel, and Buffalo at St. Bonaventure, and Stony Brook at Fordham was canceled.

Joe Lunardi has us with a 15 seed facing Iowa. If that bracket happened and we beat Iowa, we could have consecutive NCAA Tournament games against UCLA. He has UCLA as the 7 and Syracuse as the 10 in that bracket.

Edit: The starters have been posted. We are starting our most common starters including Green, and Richmond is starting their usual starters. https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... las-vegas/ has a line of 12 and over/under of 149.5, which makes a predicted score of 81-69. ESPN also has the line down to 12. http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2020 ... hmond.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Richmond." I forgot about it until now, so I'm not going to post statistics from it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good start, Coburn's attacking! LOVE that sign from him.

Play calls are working well, just need to finish - the inside looks have been good, keep attacking the post fellas.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Rare poor shooting here by UR, they're rushing a bit, good D, take full advantage and keep attacking inside!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I like the inside play of Green, he and Cramer really bring something there. Need Ray / Coburn to make shots, esp from deep - not too good so far.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Agreed, they are still getting lost in the zone giving up open 3's, but Richmond has not made them pay.

I will say usually you see a stark difference in athleticism between Hofstra and ranked opponents. Kante playing like a beast and Green and Cramer's size and ability - you don't see that today.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Another debacle at the FT line for Kante misses 4 straight
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good Lord the FTs from both sides lol

100% cactus, HU has top end athleticism now, they can really hang with good teams.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

the missed free throws are going to hurt Hofstra more than Richmond, lets go
Polito

Post by Polito »

Really good half, get ready for some adjustments from the Spiders, keep attacking the basket and keep them in foul trouble. Good to see Ray hit a shot there, will need to get him and Coburn going in the 2nd. Great fight, great energy on D, let's bring it for a full 40 and see what happens here...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Really like these TV announcers, game educated, well spoken, fair/unbiased, knowledgable about HU - surprised me a bit. Nice to listen to them.