Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Game 6 vs St Bonaventure

Post by triplec2195 »

Very unfriendly rims for us in the early going but we need to play better D
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Awful D and 0 REBOUNDS VISIONS OF LAST YEAR.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just, wow. Pretty embarrassing start after being humiliated last year.

Interesting starting group again with Green, staff seems determined that he starts. I don’t quite get it, but that’s certainly not the big issue, just curious.

Expecting much better this game, play with some ‘pride’, and wanted to see the staff have them better prepared compared to last yr. Can’t blame the environment this time.

Still early though, need to stop the bleeding and methodically make it a game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Down by 20 can’t make this up total choke so far!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Well a little life now only down 15 5 points from Silverio and a put back by Kante.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Green just cannot find his outside shot so far this season. It’s costing us too many possessions. Feels like he has taken too many shots at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:Green just cannot find his outside shot so far this season. It’s costing us too many possessions. Feels like he has taken too many shots at this point.

Clearly this is not about Green. His first few shots were in and out good shots. This is about almost non-existent D next to no rebounding and really not taking good shots but give SB credit they had throttled Jalen playing him tough man to man. He got points towards the end of the half. Really ugly turn around when we were down 11 Kante misses an easy layup and we play tough D on the other end only to give up a three with about a second left on the shot clock, a 5 point turnaround. Even having the last shot Burgess penetrated and should have taken the shot only to throw it away. Very pathetic showing so far!! 43-28 at the half.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Kante missed 3/4 ft’s the way this game has gone for us.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Def not a Green roast, not the freshman’s fault, he’ll learn and grow. But it’s just baffling how hard the staff is forcing him into a role he is CLEARLY not ready for - I’m sure the staff has a take here I’m not really aware of or understanding, but it’s not working at all yet. Have to wonder if it’s doing more damage than good, to the team and to him? But who knows, maybe he’s close to clicking and this will be long forgotten by end of yr, like Kante last yr!

But the issue in this first half, once again, is Ray and Coburn haven’t played well, and the D is atrocious. HU just can’t have those 3 things at the same time. And seems the Bonnie’s really have this program’s number I suppose.

It’s not insurmountable, but they need obviously need come out much better. Would like to at least keep this respectable.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As poor as we have played now on a roll 55-52. A Christmas miracle!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I hear ya but do want to give some kudos to Kante thus far also, going against a stellar big, a double double in this spot is a really nice game - still many mistakes and poor play, but at least something encouraging from it.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Not trying to put this on Green, just felt he settling for too many threes early in the shot clock. Yes they are open, but he just doesn’t have the confidence to be shooting 4 of them in the first half.

Like to see that they haven’t hung their heads this year and are fighting. Ray stating to shoot more which is a good thing!

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Kante brought the beast out but has left a lot on the foul line.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I see Green playing better but we have missed easy layups and a lot of points at the foul line sad!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Also Burgess deserves some credit taking it to the basket. He’s start to mature and bring his game up.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Burgess is one if the worst Point Guards I have ever seen at this University
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We trailed by 23, took the lead, and lost 77-69, which covered the spread. I'll post more statistics when Hofstra posts the box score. The Presto statistics format that St. Bonaventure uses isn't as good as StatBroadcast that all CAA teams use. Ray scored 28 to give him 999. He shot threes 6-10, which was better than twos 3-6. Kante had 15 points and 13 rebounds. Coburn scored 9, shot 2-10, and had only 2 rebounds. Schutte shot 2-3 to score 4, but only had 1 rebound. That's two players who combined to average 8.8 rebounds before today but combined for 3 today. Cramer shot field goals 1-2 and free throws 1-2 to score 2, and he was second on us with 7 rebounds. Burgess shot field goals 2-6 and free throws 1-1. He had 5 points and led us with 6 assists. Silverio shot 2-4 without attempting a free throw and scored 5. Masic shot field goals 0-2 and free throws 1-2, and Green shot field goals 0-5 and did not attempt a free throw. We rely on three guys to score, and when two of them combine for 24, we expect to lose. Ray led all scorers by 12. SB was led by Kyle Lofton with 16 points, 9 assists, and 4 rebounds. Osun Osunniyi had a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds. Dominick Welch had 15 points and 8 rebounds. They were the only double-digit scorers, but they had players score 9, 8, 6, 5, and 4. Each team used nine players and had one scoreless player. Jaren Holmes had 8 points and 9 rebounds, but he shot 3-13. Osunniyi, Welch, and Holmes became the second group of three teammates to have 8 rebounds against us. Rutgers had three players do that. Before Rutgers, the last time was UNCW's Devontae Cacok, Ty Taylor, and Marcus Bryan on February 10, 2018. From 2010-2011 to the present, it was the 13th time three teammates had at least 8 rebounds against us, and SB is the only team to do that twice against us. In 336 games from 2010-2011 to the present, there were 311 times when a player had at least 8 rebounds against us, which is an average of 0.93 per game.

Edit: Drexel's James Butler had only 7 rebounds in a win, which gives Kante the CAA lead with 10.7 per game. In order for him to end today in first, Delaware's Dylan Painter must get 12 or fewer at La Salle in a game that is starting now (4:30 P.M.) on NBC Sports Network.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Eh not really BBF, can name 3 or 4 just off the top of my head - but won't out of respect for them. 8-)

Anyhoo, a very valiant comeback, they made it a game and made it respectable. Really all I was expecting. Kante played very tough (albeit not super 'clean'), equalled OO which is a huge step up from last year, and Ray ended up with big numbers to try and make up for an awful 1st half. Coburn once again got his lunch ate by his former team, disappointing and disappointed for him. Really wanted him to show out to make up for last year. Didn't.

But the team as a whole had a really good 2nd half, outscored them and played better D. Challenge is just too much to overcome an entire terrible 20 min against a top A10 team, this team just can't not show up for entire halves, play zero D, and win. But they never gave up, a long standing quality of teams under this regime, and they turned things around to keep it within reach - lot to be said for that after being punched squarely in the face to start.

If they had played even just slightly better in the 1st they may have been able to pull it out. At least this won't be the black eye that last years was. Next game is going to be even tougher. Some good and bad in this one, plenty to grow from, just gotta keep maturing and hopefully learn how to start better!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Ok so the good...we came back from 23 down to take a lead with Jalen and Kante leading the charge...they made a change on Jalen's defender late in the game which Hurt him.
Kanye was a beast!
Also think we ran out of gas down the stretch after that awesome come back.
Shows we can play, and even beat a top tier A19 team on the road.

THE BAD
We couldn't throw a brick in the ocean in the first half...
Free throw shooting pretty poor
We need at least one of the newbies (Cramer, Green) to SHOW UP!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Pride97 wrote:Not trying to put this on Green, just felt he settling for too many threes early in the shot clock. Yes they are open, but he just doesn’t have the confidence to be shooting 4 of them in the first half.

Like to see that they haven’t hung their heads this year and are fighting. Ray stating to shoot more which is a good thing!

Green has shown nothing so far...he thinks he's a shooting guard and a bad one at that.