Game 6 vs St Bonaventure

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Game 6 vs St Bonaventure

Post by stuball888 »

Thus will be a good test to see where this team stands I will be happy if we go 1-1 over the next two games This is a very strong Bonnies team
HUSID74

Re: Game 6 vs St Bonaventure

Post by HUSID74 »

Both St Bonnie and Richmond are major steps up in competition and on the road nonetheless....I'm looking at two losses although I hope I'm wrong.

They will both be good tests as we get ready for CAA play.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Thus will be a good test to see where this team stands I will be happy if we go 1-1 over the next two games This is a very strong Bonnies team
Agreed Stu I would sign up for 1-1 right now

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Well we can’t possibly play any worse than we did last year in Olean. Looks as if SBU returns almost everyone including Jaren Holmes who went by the name Jaren English last year. At least it won’t be thier 50th anniversary this year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

St Bon and UR are 2 fantastic OOC games, and yep will be 2 very tough opponents - not tougher than RU IMO, but def tougher than the others. Believe Bona hasn't played a game yet much like MU, so we'll see how that plays out - the good thing for HU is not having to deal with their fans, tough place to play.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Believe Bona hasn't played a game yet much like MU, so we'll see how that plays out - the good thing for HU is not having to deal with their fans, tough place to play.
They opened last night like us. They played a neutral site game in Cleveland and beat Akron 81-74. Akron trailed by 11 at halftime and scored 49 in the second half. Akron's only previous game was a 97-49 win hosting Division II Cedarville.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=ae ... c641cd6871 will have video. ESPN Plus costs $5.99 for one month or $49.99 for one year. If all you care about is Hofstra, you can pay $5.99 that will let you watch this game, Tuesday at Richmond, and the Women at Fordham on Friday. Paying for one month also would let you watch JMU at East Carolina on Saturday at 2:00 P.M., which is at the same time as us, but you can watch JMU later.

All CAA teams use StatBroadcast, which is my favorite in-game statistics format. I assumed that every conference would have one format, but I was wrong. St. Bonaventure doesn't use StatBroadcast, but Richmond in the same conference does. After St. Bonaventure, all of our games through the CAA Tournament will use StatBroadcast.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

From what I've read SB was picked 2nd in the conference behind Richmond and the heart and soul of this team is their big guy 6'10 Osunniyi. He had 25 against Akron along with 8 boards and 1 block. He played 36 minutes in this game so this will be a handful for Kante/Schutte. They also have good experienced guards but in this game they only shot 1/14 from beyond the arc. Of course against us that could turn into 11/14 the way we defended it against Monmouth. A tough game probably high scoring like the Monmouth game.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

My cable listing is showing Richmond game is live on SNY. Free basketball!!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Bonnies will be a tremendous test...they are experienced and strong on both sides of the ball. I like that this OOC schedule is a step up in competition in an otherwise truncated year. It's all about acclimating quickly, and we'll enter conference play battle-tested and used to going up against big, athletic, veteran lineups.
Last edited by RollPride15 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cards

Post by Cards »

CTDutch wrote:My cable listing is showing Richmond game is live on SNY. Free basketball!!
Thanks CTD - great find!! Yes its listed on SNY via my optimum connection.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

TY for that post as well CTDutch.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That is great news, ditto!

For St B, last year English, Welch, and Osunniyi annihilated HU - rained 3's, and Kante got abused in the post all game. 2 of those 3 are back, so at least HU won't have to deal with English dropping bombs again. Won't stop the other 2, but finding ways to at least slow them down a tad is going to be key. They have GOT to defend the permitter better. The Bonnies stunk from 3 against Akron, I am expecting they will be quite keen to right that at home.

Last year Ray and Coburn were totally ineffective, and Kante was very outmatched. The D did not work in any way, and the Bonnies were much bigger across the board. That will change just slightly this year though with HU having a bit more size at the 1 and 4. Obviously need better games from those 3 this time around. HU shot extremely poorly from everywhere, so just hitting a respectable % will help tremendously this time around.

IMO X factors for HU will be how much Green and Cramer can impact this game with their size, skill set, and athleticism - I think the wing is a place HU can have an advantage IF those 2 in particular are able to have strong games. SBU is very guard heavy with essentially just OO in the post, the wing is vulnerable. ATTACK IT.

I still think this will be a very difficult game for HU because SBU is talented, well-coached, have a balanced inside/out game, and HU's mismatch is with new guys. But I'm hopeful that HU has fire to have a much better showing - I'm sure they learned a lot. Coburn and Ray are in much different roles now taking lead, so if they come out assertive, create some havoc, and hit shots, that will keep this close enough for anything to happen. OO is an extremely talented and athletic big, so just looking for Kante to hold his own, play within his game, and keep the damage tolerable. OO can certainly block shots, so it will be tough sledding in the lane. But I think driving and drawing fouls is going to be key, so who knows, if Kante can somehow pull him away from the hoop just a bit, some mid rangers maybe, that might be enough to open up the lane for the guards and Cramer to effectively attack.

Will need a much better D performance, that's for sure. Top A10 team on the road, nothing to lose, let it fly, and let's see where the chips fall! GO HU!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There's no question that SB is a good team as already stated however this will be a different game then last year. Last year I remember that Ray was hurt but they played him anyway he was limping around the court I don't think he even scored. He actually played 34 minutes and scored 2 points Coburn had 4 points. Our guards in this game will hold their own I believe the game will be decided down low probably because O is a handful he had 16 rebounds last year Kante has his work cutout for him. If we have to double down on this guy we're screwed because then we could get killed with three's. As bad as we played they scored 73 points we only scored 45 this game will be closer.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

St. Bonaventure is currently a 10 1/2 point favorite.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

CTDutch wrote: My cable listing is showing Richmond game is live on SNY. Free basketball!!
Thank you. It's on NBC Sports Washington for Richmond. Ray has a good chance of scoring his 1,000th point on TV, but I'm not counting on the announcers knowing that. He has 971.
triplec2195 wrote: There's no question that SB is a good team as already stated however this will be a different game then last year. Last year I remember that Ray was hurt but they played him anyway he was limping around the court I don't think he even scored. He actually played 34 minutes and scored 2 points Coburn had 4 points. Our guards in this game will hold their own I believe the game will be decided down low probably because O is a handful he had 16 rebounds last year Kante has his work cutout for him. If we have to double down on this guy we're screwed because then we could get killed with three's. As bad as we played they scored 73 points we only scored 45 this game will be closer.
Ray played 7 scoreless minutes due to injury in a win over Canisius in Boca Raton in the game before we went to SB.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2020/12/17/m ... nture.aspx is titled "MBB: Hofstra Continues Road Trip At St. Bonaventure."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 1game6.pdf is our Game Notes.

https://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-bask ... 1218f0jshl is SB's preview.

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/l ... ofstra.pdf is SB's Game Notes

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/n ... rogram.pdf is SB's Virtual Gameday Program.

Here is what they say about us:

"ABOUT HOFSTRA
The Pride finished the year at 26-8, winning both the Colonial Athletic Association’s regular season crown as well as
the league’s postseason championship. Prior to the pandemic shutdown, Hofstra was on the way to its first NCAA
Tournament since 2001.

Hofstra is again the favorite in the CAA, returning All-CAA First Team junior Isaac Kante as well as All-CAA honorable mention seniors Tareq Coburn and Jalen Ray.

The Pride has won back-to-back games over Stony Brook (Dec. 9) and this past Tuesday over Monmouth at home. Ray and Coburn had electric games against Monmouth, scoring 29 and 28 points respectively. Coburn, the former Bonnie, leads the team by averaging over 20 points per game through the first five contests of the year.

While the Pride averages over 74 points per game, it has struggled beyond the arc by shooting just 28.9 percent.

Mike Farrelly is serving as acting head coach in place of Joe Mihalich. Mihalich, the longtime Hofstra and previously Niagara head coach, is out on temporary medical leave."

SB has lost their last three home openers.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Ray played 7 minutes against Canisius and was still hurting in the game against SB if my memory serves me well. Scoring two points playing 34 minutes does speak some volume. According to Newsday we're 10 point DOGS in this game so the odds makers think we're going to get thumped in this one hopefully we prove them wrong.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That is a great / really interesting stat Evan, did not realize that, thanks for sharing! Those opponents were:

'19/'20: Ohio - Lost first 4 ot of 5
'18/'19: Bucknell (OT) - Lost first 5 out of 6
'17/'18: Niagara - Lost 2 out of first 6

Pretty decent mids, though not world beaters, and traditionally we see that SBU has started off slow in the recent past, even at home - now the most relevant is last year, and the key note is SBU did not have English the first few games. He was a big time difference maker. He won't be there this year, so perhaps HU catches them still figuring out how to adjust to that life?! They seem to be vulnerable at the start. Fingers crossed.

Also great point on Ray, that was a big difference in that game, and will be a big positive difference in this one. Also think Coburn just had a tough 'homecoming' of sorts, banking on him stepping onto the floor a lot more confident this time around. I think both in particular will be MUCH hungrier to show out in this one. I also expect the same fire from Kante to stand his ground - OO is simply a much more athletic, taller player, so I think the matchup is difficult - but if he can come out with a chip on his shoulder, that could be enough to contain him slightly.

Looking forward to seeing how they respond here 8-)
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

Hello,

New to board but been reading for a while, great job by everyone appreciate your insight.

Wanted to mention that last years Bonnie game immediately followed that tiresome West Coast trip. Insane scheduling, they then flew home and had to travel upstate in winter. Suspect travel caught up to them.

As for today, wondering is snowstorm impacted their travel, believe a lot more up there than on LI.

Thanks for having me.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2020 ... ox-la.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: St. Bonaventure." He gave Schutte 1 point for our third best player against Monmouth, which was the first time in Schutte's career he was honored by Jerry. The 96-88 win was our first by that score since we beat Siena on February 24, 1977, when we went to the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive time. We are 3-2 for the fourth consecutive season, and it's the first time we started four consecutive seasons 3-2 since 1983-1984 to 1986-1987, which includes when I was born in 1985. We became the first team this season to make at least 90 percent of our free throws with at least 30 attempts, and yesterday UNCW became the second team to do that. Their 28/31 = .903 is worse than our 29/32 = .906. UNCW was the 173rd time from 2010-2011 to the present that a team did that. Considering our elite free throw percentages of .783 in 2019-2020 and .802 in 2018-2019, I'm surprised we didn't do it in one of those seasons. In 2018-2019, our best percentage was 18/20 = .900, and our closest to .900 and 30 attempts was 25/28 = .893. In 2019-2020 our best percentage was 7/7 = 1.000, our best percentage with at least 10 attempts was 16/17 = .941 twice including the CAA Final, and our best percentage with at least 30 attempts was 31/35 = .886. Monmouth became the first team to make at least 15 threes in a loss to Hofstra since Northeastern made 17 in a 96-92 loss in triple overtime hosting us on January 21, 2016. Northeastern made half of their threes in the first, half of their threes in the second half, and half of their threes in the overtimes combined. Hofstra is 2-2 from 2010-2011 to the present when allowing at least 15 threes, and Monmouth was the first time Hofstra allowed at least 15 threes in regulation and won. Northeastern had 11 threes after regulation. The CAA has statistics going back to 2005-2006, which is five seasons earlier than the College Basketball at Sports-Reference Play Index. In 2009-2010, Kansas made 11 threes in a 101-65 win in the season opener, and we didn't allow 10 or more threes the rest of the season. In 2008-2009, Massachusetts shot 15-26 (.577) in a 97-81 win, and the second most we allowed was 11. In 2007-2008, Charlotte shot 13-35 (.371) when we won 70-68, and the second most we allowed was 11. In 2006-2007, Delaware shot 12-28 (.429) in a 72-68 win. I remember listening when we scored to go down 3 in the final minute and then allowed a three to seal the loss, and Delaware went 5-26 that season. In 2005-2006, VCU shot 14-27 (.519) in an 87-64 win, which was our biggest margin of defeat in our best season ever according to RPI for most seasons and NET since it was created. The most threes we allowed from 2005-2006 to the present was when Villanova shot 18-37 (.486) in a 95-71 win. We had a higher field goal percentage, .483 to .479, but Villanova shot threes better than twos and attempted more threes than twos, so it wasn't a case of a top conference team beating a mid-major because of big men scoring by the basket. The 96 combined points in the first half against Monmouth was the most combined points in a half we played in since I went to Senior Day for four players including JWF and we outscored JMU 57-49 in the second half but lost 104-99 in overtime.

St. Bonaventure is one of nine teams without any seniors. Junior guard Kyle Lofton led Division I with 38.4 minutes last season and led the A10 with 6.0 assists. The fewest points we scored under Mihalich was our 73-45 loss there last season. KenPom predicts us to lose 79-69. Jerry is guessing that Coburn is the first Hofstra player to face his former team twice, but there isn't a way of finding out. https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... las-vegas/ now has a line of 11 and over/under of 147, which makes 79-68. The combination of line and over/under has been very close to KenPom's prediction in several games. The Sagarin likes us better, as the Rating predicts 6.31, Predictor predicts 5.10, Golden_Mean predicts 6.67, and Recent predicts 7.26. The Sagarin makes predicted margins but not scores.

Charleston made a three with 2.2 seconds left to force overtime hosting Western Carolina before Western Carolina won. Western Carolina's last six wins are four in overtime and two vs. non-Division I teams. The only Division I team they beat in regulation was their opener against UNCW.
4EverDutch wrote: Hello,

New to board but been reading for a while, great job by everyone appreciate your insight.

Wanted to mention that last years Bonnie game immediately followed that tiresome West Coast trip. Insane scheduling, they then flew home and had to travel upstate in winter. Suspect travel caught up to them.

As for today, wondering is snowstorm impacted their travel, believe a lot more up there than on LI.

Thanks for having me.
After the west coast trip, we played two games in Boca Raton before going to St. Bonaventure. If we didn't make it to St. Bonaventure and the game was postponed or canceled, we would have heard by now.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

4EverDutch wrote:Hello,

Thanks for having me.
Welcome to the board 4everDutch like your name. Just like most places that get a lot of snow they're removing it as it's coming down. Enjoy the game!