Now its game 5 against Monmouth

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Now its game 5 against Monmouth

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wins, 96-88.

Not too often you can win a game with a -14 in TOs (24 Hofstra TOs) and allow 15/30 from 3.

But career-highs from Ray (29 pts) and Coburn (28 pts) led the way. Reminiscent of last year's win at UCLA (Buie 29 pts, Ray 27 pts).
Polito

Post by Polito »

Even listening it sounded like the officiating was pretty poor. I'm sure that had something to do with it as well, in addition to HU simply playing pretty careless.
'
BUT regardless, a nice W here in a game that will, in my mind, mark the arrival of RAY to this season!! Welcome 8-) Kid is SO vital to the success of this team, showing it tonight. They both took the lead at certain key points, and THAT'S what I've been clamoring about. Welcome back Ray, use this as your jump off to the year you can should and need to have!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

What saved us is we beat them bad off the boards 43-21 so it negates the 14 more turnovers Also we scored from the charity stripe 29-32 and 17-17 in the second half alone.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

A BIG shout out to Kevin Schutte who had 6 points and led us in rebounds with 10. He has become a solid backup to Issac Kante
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great stats Stu, love winning rebounding battles and hitting free shots - those 2, and leadership from Ray and Coburn can be special. Much still to work on, but this was nice.

On my birthday no less!! Shameless plug :D Both HU and VT grab key W's tonight for me, happy bday indeed!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Obviously Ray was key tonight, but there were other things worth noticing
- As soon as TC realized his 3s were not dropping, he pivoted to strongly attack the hoop and drawing fouls. He had something like 14 made FTs.
- KS with 10 boards and 6 pts
- Masic had 5 assists. For a guy with little game experience, he really did contribute. I like what I see from him - good hustle and effort on D.
- Green looked more at ease - maybe it was not having the pressure of starting, maybe it s him just getting comfortable.

Team ball handling was horrendous. Jaquan Carlos can't get here fast enough!
Hopefully Kante is just starting slowly, like he did last year. He is certainly not playing the way he can.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I liked how we went 9 players deep in this game. We will need that depth with the back to back games. Hopefully some of the other guys can step up enough to give Ray/Coburn a rest as well.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote: The ball handling has been a problem but how many were phantom offensive fouls?
4 were offensive fouls.

We became the first team from 2010-2011 to the present to allow our opponent to make at least 15 threes, allow our opponent to make at least half of their threes, commit at least 24 turnovers, and win. Teams were previously 0-17 from 2010-2011 when doing that, and 9 of the 17 losers were non-Division I. The last four teams to do that lost by an average of 121.25-43.50. Those were three non-Division I teams and Chicago State, who is 1-31 vs. Division I in 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 combined. The second most recent team to do that before us lost by over 100 points when McNeese State won 140-37 hosting Dallas Christian. The only one of the 17 losses that was by fewer than 25 points was on February 11, 2016 when Massachusetts-Lowell won 108-95 at Maine, but it was tied at 87 after regulation.

We became the first team from 2010-2011 to the present to score at least 96 points, make at least 29 free throws, and commit at least 24 turnovers in an away game.

It was the 106th time from 2010-2011 to the present that the losing team made at least 15 threes and at least half of their threes. The team with the most wins during that time when their opponent did that is Monmouth with 4 such wins.

Coburn (1 foul and 4 turnovers), Burgess (4 fouls and 5 turnovers), Ray (4 fouls and 6 turnovers), Kante (3 fouls and 6 turnovers), and Schutte (4 fouls and 2 turnovers) combined for 16 fouls and 23 turnovers. It was the first time since a 58-43 loss at Wagner on December 6, 2011 that we had teammates commit at least 4 fouls and at least 5 turnovers. From 2010-2011 to the present, we started 1-13 when we had at least one player do that, and if you do it by player and count Wagner twice it makes 1-14. Starting with an 87-82 win at Towson on February 18, 2015, we are 5-4 the last nine times we had a player do that, and if you include tonight twice for Burgess and Ray, it makes 6-4. I'm surprised that Gustys never did that. Pemberton, Dion Nesmith, and Dwan McMillan did it the most times with three. It was the first time from 2010-2011 to the present that we had at least four players commit at least 4 turnovers in a win.

Kante had 7 points, 9 rebounds, 3 fouls, 6 turnovers, and 1 block. It was the 521st time from 2010-2011 to the present that a player did that, and he's the first Hofstra player to do that during that time.

Ray made it the eighth time from 2010-2011 to the present that a Hofstra player made at least 5 twos, at least 4 threes, and at least 7 free throws. JWF did it four times, and Pemberton, Buie, and Zeke Upshaw did it once. None of the trio of Green, Tanksley, and Bernardi did that. Before today, the previous five times a Hofstra player did that were at home in CAA wins. The first two times were away out of conference. Upshaw did it in a loss at Richmond, and JWF did it in a win at Stony Brook.

Edit: According to Monmouth's Game Notes, Ray's 29 points and Coburn's 14 free throws made and 16 free throws attempted were more than anybody had against Monmouth last season.
Cards wrote: - Masic had 5 assists. For a guy with little game experience, he really did contribute. I like what I see from him - good hustle and effort on D.
He didn't commit a turnover, and it was the second consecutive game in which we had a player have at least 5 assists without a turnover as Burgess did it against Stony Brook. It was the 22nd time from 2010-2011 to the present that we had a player do that, and the second time we had a freshman do that after Buie in an 86-80 win at W&M on February 11, 2016.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Entertaining game. Many positives and negatives..

The good: Jalen Ray. Finally. This is the output we need to see night in and night out this year. Great game by him and Coburn both. Coburn could lead the nation in FT attempts this year if he wants to. Speaking of which, team was 29-32 from the line. Also dominated the glass. Got some nice production from our freshman. Masic getting some PT and building confidence with some nice passes and hitting a 3. Green hit two 3's early on. Nice to see them both have some success. Burgess with 4 clutch free throws down the stretch, which is what you want to see from your PG. Schutte 10 big boards, nice to have a quality backup big. And it was great watching a game with no sound quality issues!

The bad: I cannot fathom letting someone hit NINE three's. Come on staff! Make adjustments in game please! This is becoming a trend this year, we are reverting back to Joe's early teams. Also, very sloppy with 24 turnovers.. Burgess with 5 himself and only 2 assists. He did have a phantom offensive foul call go against him, terrible call.. Refs were bad again. Many puzzling calls against HU.

All in all, great offensive performance. Monmouth is pretty good. If we play like this offensively in the conference, we'll be fine. Ray and Coburn all day! Tighten up the D please.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Good to get a lot of players involved.

Not sure why we stuck with the zone while they were bombing away.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Love EvanJ info bombs. Thanks for always providing the stats for us.

Great win today. Fun watching them play ball with the underclassmen all contributing.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Great stats Stu, love winning rebounding battles and hitting free shots - those 2, and leadership from Ray and Coburn can be special. Much still to work on, but this was nice.

On my birthday no less!! Shameless plug :D Both HU and VT grab key W's tonight for me, happy bday indeed!
Happy Birthday! :D Glad your teams both won for you tonight.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

A big part of this year is going to be finding point guard play, so crucial to any NCAA offense -- we all expected Cowart to provide it, and now that he's gone we'll need Burgess to grow in a big way. I still have faith that he is going to get there and develop into a defense-first floor general, and hopefully at some point during CAA play we'll see true flashes of that.

Kante is scuffling...6 turnovers when you're a big man is pretty egregious, especially against mid-major competition. Felt like he got off to a slow start last year as well, another guy that I expect to pick it up as the year goes along.

Love what we're seeing from Cramer, and Green is starting to get into the zone a bit as well. We've got legit young wing talent, an incredible commodity for a mid-major program. These guys are going to be really good.

Seems like the theme of this year will be development: Farrelly and Speedy figuring out how they want to run things without Joe. The young wings getting comfortable and realizing they can be dominant. Burgess letting the game come to him and picking his spots. The good news is we already look streaky in a good way -- it's easy to imagine this team getting a lot better, and hard to think of them getting much worse (barring injuries). Good win over a good program.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:What saved us is we beat them bad off the boards 43-21 so it negates the 14 more turnovers Also we scored from the charity stripe 29-32 and 17-17 in the second half alone.
The big rebounding edge was in large part because Monmouth took 18 more shots (69-51), but defense doesn't end until you secure possession, so good job by HU cleaning up its own glass and only allowing six Monmouth offensive rebounds on 37 missed shots from Monmouth - only 16% (in contrast, Hofstra was able to get 10 offensive boards off of 23 missed shots, for 43%). Schutte's game-high and career-hight 10 boards came in only 16 minutes and four of his 10 boards were offensive rebounds. Throw in 3/4 from the floor and he was kind of an unsung hero off the bench tonight.

And although Coburn is still taking a lot of 3s (he took half of Hofstra's 24 tonight), he continues to do an outstanding job of getting to the foul line this season. He went there 17 times against Iona, then none against Stony Brook, but he learned from that and got there 16 times tonight, making 14, for half of his career-high 28 pts. He has already taken 41 FTs in the first five games this season. The three prior years, his season totals with HU were 98 last year and 65 two years ago. That's going to be huge for the team if it continues on a pretty regular basis throughout the season. Even Ray got there 7 times tonight (making all 7) while also doing damage from the perimeter.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BringBackFootball wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:We really need another ball handler in this game very evident here!
Another? That would imply we already have at least 1 other currently. That would be incorrect.
OK I didn't have time last night to comment on this but on the one hand pretty negative a bit sarcastic possibly but not all that far from the truth. While Caleb was the best ball handler for us he turned the ball over 5 times and his decision making wasn't exactly inspiring but for anyone who was watching this game and thought that JR could play the point here had a sober awakening not that he hasn't been shaky at other times when he gets pressed. I'm not knocking Jalen because he does so many things well but playing the point is not one of them. Any team that presses the ball and traps at half-court is going to cause many turnovers his deficiencies here were quite evident. So I wonder as Joe would say you go with the woman you brought to the dance or something like that. Are we looking to get another PG here to replace Cowart? Someone should pose this question to one or all the coaches. Clearly we're going to have CAA teams that will press us all over the court if this becomes an obvious flaw in our game.
Our three point D was so bad in this game and people raised the question of switching to man to man and making the necessary adjustments in game. I don't know why we couldn't have made adjustments on the Fly here because we were prepared for this catch and shoot offense. I would love to know how many wide open three's they had including the few that they actually missed.

Nice contributions from Schutte who brings his own brand of energy and Green hitting some open looks as well as Masic who wouldn't be getting playing time if the coaches didn't think he deserved it. Also see the continued development of Cramer who could be a real force come CAA play. Kante could have had a better game but the refs didn't help him especially on the O foul that was called that looked like an academy award performance by a Monmouth player. It's a different look HU team that actually is utilizing the bench which will help us come CAA play.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Happy Birthday Polito!

Not much to say that hasn't been already said...great offensive output...Burgess had a rough game...he's a sophomore so he's entitled to one or two...Masic may be a freshman but he has extensive experince in Europe and Farrelly said in his presser that he gives the team another ball handler...to wit his five assists as well...looks like the ball handling will be by committee when Burgess sits or has some trouble.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We lead the CAA in field goal percentage defense at .420. Coburn is third with 20.6 points, Kante leads with 10.2 rebounds, Ray is fourth with 4.4 assists and Burgess is fifth with 4.2, Ray is third with a .923 free throw percentage and Kante is fifth at .880, and Coburn is fourth with 3.4 made threes. Four CAA players are averaging more threes made than last season's leader Nate Darling with 3.3.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

One of the game write ups referred to Kante as "impaired". Does anyone know anything about this or the status of Stafford or Zion? In addition to the 24-10 differential in turn overs, they had 13 steals to our 7. Ball handling along with perimeter defense obviously needs to improve. It is great to see our bench being used and beginning to contribute and develop. Mike really likes and has confidence in Masic. He had the most assists 5 and O turnovers in 15 minutes. Everyone else with an assist had more turnovers than they had assists. Also great to see Burgess going 4 for 4 at the stripe with the game on the line.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:We lead the CAA in field goal percentage defense at .420.
It's nice to win a shootout in mid-December, scoring 96 points, seeing Ray and Coburn each get career-highs on the same night, that's all exciting and what fans like. But that doesn't win championships. Evan has the right idea that even after a game with little defense on either side, he chooses to focus on 42% allowed for the season. That's that the type of stat that is what will help them repeat as CAA champs more than anything. Everything has to start at the defensive end. We didn't see that last night and not so much against Iona, but even with those two games included, HU leads the CAA at 42% allowed after five games. That's a good sign for March.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Turned the game on late -
But saw Masic make some nice unselfish passes - saw us still having trouble with the press love seeing Coburn on the line - looked like Monmouth was just bombing away - got a road W when we were dogs laying 2 - you take that every day of the week - getting a lot of minutes from underclassman (CB-29; KC-22; VM-15; DG-11) - got a lot of rebounds from our guys that are supposed to rebounds - the turnovers were bad! -CB had a tough night, but late in the game CB with the ball I am OK with him getting fouled and going to the line (hes unfazed) - curious about Truehart - I think I see him there; so he must be hurt - wonder what his status is????