Cowart is on the transfer list of Verbal commits

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Cowart is on the transfer list of Verbal commits

Post by Captain »

So I believe the staff should pursue a grad transfer point guard as a safety net for injury or slump to Burgess.
On another thread I mentioned a Columbia point guard from St Benedicts who is good. 2nd team All Ivy as a sophomore, injured last year. If not him, find another capable point for one year.
triplec2195

Re: Cowart is on the transfer list of Verbal commits

Post by triplec2195 »

Captain wrote:So I believe the staff should pursue a grad transfer point guard as a safety net for injury or slump to Burgess.
On another thread I mentioned a Columbia point guard from St Benedicts who is good. 2nd team All Ivy as a sophomore, injured last year. If not him, find another capable point for one year.
Interesting how his departure went down so quickly and was there one thing that precipitated it. He transferred here I'm sure with the expectation that he would be the starting point guard or at the very least getting plenty of minutes. He was the starting PG at Pensacola and had nice numbers so where did it all derail. As far as transfers right now does anyone know what the rules are if any?? It's been said that there are a lot of Ivy league players without a team so can these players just transfer and immediately become eligible at another school?? I agree we should have a backup but without practicing with the team do we go with what we have which seems like the likely scenario. Any player transferring in here assuming they're immediately eligible would take time to acclimate himself to our system.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As far as the transfer portal is concerned there are PG's all over the place so it seems we would have a lot to chose from.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
Captain wrote:So I believe the staff should pursue a grad transfer point guard as a safety net for injury or slump to Burgess.
Interesting how his departure went down so quickly and was there one thing that precipitated it. He transferred here I'm sure with the expectation that he would be the starting point guard or at the very least getting plenty of minutes. He was the starting PG at Pensacola and had nice numbers so where did it all derail. As far as transfers right now does anyone now what the rules are if any?? It's been said that there are a lot of Ivy league players without a team so can these players just transfer and immediately become eligible at another school?? I agree we should have a backup but without practicing with the team do we go with what we have which seems like the likely scenario. Any player transferring in here assuming they're immediately eligible would take time to acclimate himself to our system.
So delicate the recruiting process is
-thought we certainly needed n experienced PG to go with CB
-thought I saw some good things from CB last year - he's fast and willing to learn
-CB had a real nice game vs SB Wednesday night
I like that we never promised SC anything other then a CHANCE to play
- he must have felt he was way behind CB in learning our system
- (as previously stated) the signing of JC (2021) must have told SC that he might be in for a bigger battle next year for playing time
Never want to see a player go - but this is OK - its a natural progression and a credit to a staff not being held hostage to a player threatening them (not saying this kid did this) for playing time or else; and a staff that recruits to get better players to make a team more competitive - competitive internally battling for playing time
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There certainly seems to be something here that doesn't meet the eye because this appears to have been a rash decision. A thought process went into Cowart coming here he new Burgess was here and in fact was he given any promise of playing time or was he led to believe things would be different?? I don't remember at least in recent memory someone leaving the team after a couple of games and transferring. If in this Covid climate where maybe he can play right away encourage this? It's just not something we see here happen that's all.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:There certainly seems to be something here that doesn't meet the eye because this appears to have been a rash decision. A thought process went into Cowart coming here he new Burgess was here and in fact was he given any promise of playing time or was he led to believe things would be different?? I don't remember at least in recent memory someone leaving the team after a couple of games and transferring. If in this Covid climate where maybe he can play right away encourage this? It's just not something we see here happen that's all.
The timing seems to coincide with the ending of the fall semester. That could definitely have something to do with. In a normal year we would have had more than 3 games played by the end of the semester.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah maybe all planned on his part possibly having to do with the semester.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is definitely a shame, really factored him and his experience into this season. But I don't believe this was about PT, it's been like 3 games. Burgess still growing into it, the role was ripe for the taking and he was here for 2 years. I suppose the semester timing could be a factor, but my gut is something else.

This is a very quiet very fast exit - that's usually not a good sign in terms of reasoning. Might've been something HU had to do as the result of something, rather than Cowart's move for more unearned PT someplace else 1/4 through a live season. No one wants to transfer out like that...

Anyhoo, I don't know the young man, so best wishes to him.

As for HU, they should be aggressively hunting immediate help - backup role is fine. But a body.

And again, I want to see Zion out there - I know he's not ready, none of the new guys are lol, but get him going and let's see how he develops.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

He could have personal or family reasons for transferring. Maybe he needs to be closer to home. I wish him the best.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Anyone have anymore news on this? Also, players who have worn #3 since JWF have left have not stayed long. Maybe they should just retire it.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Pride97 wrote:Anyone have anymore news on this? Also, players who have worn #3 since JWF have left have not stayed long. Maybe they should just retire it.
I asked about Cowart on the CCC Chronicles last night. They said he was going home to Florida; seemed like maybe pandemic related but they didn't state that directly.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Pride97 wrote:Anyone have anymore news on this? Also, players who have worn #3 since JWF have left have not stayed long. Maybe they should just retire it.
I asked about Cowart on the CCC Chronicles last night. They said he was going home to Florida; seemed like maybe pandemic related but they didn't state that directly.
Other then to wish him the best of luck no info. given which you would expect. HM when u say Covid related I'm assuming you're referring to his family?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:
Other then to wish him the best of luck no info. given which you would expect. HM when u say Covid related I'm assuming you're referring to his family?
The pandemic (not covid) comment was my own opinion of reading between the lines on their response. I forget exactly what they said but it was something like going home to florida and I think said something about things changing for him this year or something along those lines. Just to be clear that was completely my own opinion and I was saying his thoughts may have changed based on how this world has changed not implying that anyone he was related to had covid.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Pride97 wrote: Anyone have anymore news on this? Also, players who have worn #3 since JWF have left have not stayed long. Maybe they should just retire it.
I came to say that. Jermaine Miranda (45) and Cowart (30) combined to play 75 minutes, which JWF could do in two games.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I don't think anyone should wear #3 until it is retired.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Totally agree Jojo
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

as you probably know i have voiced my displeasure about #3 being worn right away again a number of times
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We were in disbelief that it was going down you could practically hear JWF express his displeasure since he had just graduated.