Thought you guys would enjoy this

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Thought you guys would enjoy this

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito, I don't know why you would even bother bringing up this year's team in this thread, we're four games in. You seem obsessed with this idea that we're not tough enough, who knows what we even have yet.

The '99 team was the first full year I followed the team as well Dooku. I was at the Tech game in the Garden with my Pops (I was 12), what a win, it locked me in for life, we still bring up that game, and the Johnnies game in the Coli all time.

Thanks for sharing 3r20! Looks like that was from Roberto Gittens personal page, he also posted this video of the 2000 team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_3bczmGU3E
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

FD, that is awesome man. I unfortunately didn't even see the Tech game on TV. But I remember late that night watching MSG Sports Desk and seeing highlights and the final score and was blown away. Before cell phones, it was such a different time to try and find out sports news and scores.. But that result really convinced me to check out a game a few weeks later. Of course my first game at the PFC was the Speedy buzzer beater against Delaware and I've been hooked ever since. I was also fortunate enough to be at the Coliseum for the first win in school history vs St John's and that was very exciting. Cactus and I threw some down after that one. Wish I had game footage of that one.

I have a ton of games and videos that I converted to digital back in April during the early stages of the pandemic. Had so much time at home I was able to make a lengthy montage. The only good thing that came out of this pandemic.. never would have had the time to put it together otherwise. One of these days I will upload to youtube and share it here.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Loved this trip down my memory lane during my freshman year at Hofstra! Here is another similar video posted about 1999-2000 NCAA Tourney team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_3bczmGU3E&t=21s
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

This was great thanks for posting. As dooku alluded to this era, specifically the 98-99 team, is who we can blame for our suffering as its when we became fans of the program.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

Polito wrote:Agree 100% Jojo, was just thinking the same thing.

Farrelly and Speedy (especially) need to watch this with the team - some fantastic words used to describe that group by the TV announcers at the end:
Assertive
Sacrifice
Tenacity

That group had DOG in them - exactly what I've been clamoring about for years - HU has a lot of talent, but it needs to develop that aggressive in your face unafraid don't bring your crap into my house attitude.

And that right there is what a leader can do by instilling that culture. The staff needs to start it though - listening to Jay's locker room talks, he got his guys filled with an attitude and the mindset to run through a brick wall.

I think HU has some of those qualities, great young men with passion, but we need some DOG - that means guys that know they aren't going to knock you out with 5 star talent every play, but they are going to out-hustle your ass all game long on BOTH ends of the floor.

This is what is missing from this program lately and now - Ray is a kitten out there for no reason, he has PLENTY of talent to bully, but only does it for 5 plays a game - not enough dude for a Sr starting 'leader' - Coburn is starting to show some signs, and his game is reflecting it - Kante has it at times, but needs to enforce his will much more consistently each game - he's undersized, but so what, so was Gittens, Uter, and plenty of other guys - he has plenty of weight, be more of a bully - Burgess, Green, and Cramer have the seeds of it, just need more experience to establish the confidence required to own every floor they step on.

WATCH THIS VIDEO TEAM!! You want to win, you don't ask for the W, you gotta get mean and go take it right out of their hearts. :P
i must be watching a different team that you. jalen ray is as clutch of a player and big time player as we've had in about a decade. just cause his emotions dont show and dont agree with you doesnt mean hes not all in or doesnt have passion. hes a DOG. and as good of a DOG as we have had in years.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Nah, not obsessed at all FD, and it's not the toughness so much as it is about the leadership... or lack thereof thus far. Now, I'm loving what I see from Coburn of late, and Ray came alive last night, so this could be the start of their rise into that role. But it's been largely nonexistent from the 3 returning starters in the first few games.

I drew comparisons from that group to this one - seems pretty relevant to me since we're in season, really don't see the issue there. But for sure, it's early and this group is still figuring itself out, get that. I get antsy, is what it is, lol.

19, we're watching the same games, just different definitions of those terms and different take on the game. Ray is clutch no doubt, and has been since his Hampton Crabbers days in VA. He has plenty of passion for the game, never said he didn't. Been one of his biggest proponents, still am. What I want to see, what this team NEEDS, is a leader. And that means many things, being vocal included. It's producing, it's directing, it's putting the team on your back, it's correcting guys, it's example, on and on. Showing up to hit 2 big shots a game isn't enough, especially this year, he needs to be present all game. He hasn't done that up until last night, which I'm hoping was his welcome to my SR year splash! TC restated 'dog' well, if that resonates better.

As far as memory lane, I go back a tad further and still have newspaper clippings featuring Wright his first year with Darius Burton. I was at the PFC for the Speedy game winning put back against UD, and recall vividly watching him posterize some NU player on TV from my buddy's dorm room in Estabrook! Also went to an away game at UD with some fam and a UD fan turning to me after one of Speedy's insane plays asking "Who is this kid?!?!" goood times! :D