Thought you guys would enjoy this

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
3r20

Thought you guys would enjoy this

Post by 3r20 »

This somehow showed up on my you tube feed - memories of a long time ago..Enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/UllOIrSZPaM

Hope everybody is staying safe and healthy

3r20!!!
stuball888

Re: Thought you guys would enjoy this

Post by stuball888 »

Thanks Jon it brought back so many good memories Hope all is well with you and the family Dont be a stranger to the boards
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is great nostalgia can someone refresh my memory of who's wearing the numbers 31 and also 33. Is Tim Beckett one of those kids?? It was amazing how good Gittens was in the paint for a kid who was only 6'5" if my recollection is accurate.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Was it Renfro Yes it was Mike Renfro he was a 6ft 4 transfer on the 1998 to 1999 roster
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Beckett was 31 a 6ft8 forward fromLUHI I believe Gittens was
Iisted at6ft6 He had epic battles with Mike Pegues of Delaware
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This is a terrific video from the Jay Wright era. I would recommend that everyone on this board watch it. Not just to see some of our old favorites again (Speedy, Jason, Norman, Roberto, et. al.), but also to appreciate their great teamwork, passing, rebounding and defense.

I hope our current players watch this, too, so they understand they legacy they have inherited.

Thanks for posting, 3r20.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree 100% Jojo, was just thinking the same thing.

Farrelly and Speedy (especially) need to watch this with the team - some fantastic words used to describe that group by the TV announcers at the end:
Assertive
Sacrifice
Tenacity

That group had DOG in them - exactly what I've been clamoring about for years - HU has a lot of talent, but it needs to develop that aggressive in your face unafraid don't bring your crap into my house attitude.

And that right there is what a leader can do by instilling that culture. The staff needs to start it though - listening to Jay's locker room talks, he got his guys filled with an attitude and the mindset to run through a brick wall.

I think HU has some of those qualities, great young men with passion, but we need some DOG - that means guys that know they aren't going to knock you out with 5 star talent every play, but they are going to out-hustle your ass all game long on BOTH ends of the floor.

This is what is missing from this program lately and now - Ray is a kitten out there for no reason, he has PLENTY of talent to bully, but only does it for 5 plays a game - not enough dude for a Sr starting 'leader' - Coburn is starting to show some signs, and his game is reflecting it - Kante has it at times, but needs to enforce his will much more consistently each game - he's undersized, but so what, so was Gittens, Uter, and plenty of other guys - he has plenty of weight, be more of a bully - Burgess, Green, and Cramer have the seeds of it, just need more experience to establish the confidence required to own every floor they step on.

WATCH THIS VIDEO TEAM!! You want to win, you don't ask for the W, you gotta get mean and go take it right out of their hearts. :P
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Well said Jojogunne; my sentiments exactly.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Wow, this footage really brings back some memories. The 98-99 team is where it all started for me. The win over Georgia Tech in the Garden really caught my eye. Attended my first game shortly thereafter. That game would be the Speedy put back buzzer beater against Delaware at the old PFC. I also dragged 2 of my buddies to Piscataway for the NIT game vs Rutgers and talked up Speedy the whole way there, only to find out that he was out with a quad injury. It was nice seeing some clips from all 3 of those games. Those were some special teams.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Trivia question that game against Delaware in the PFC where Speedy won it at a put bsck at the buzzer What NBA player was sitting courtside at that game
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

stuball888 wrote:Trivia question that game against Delaware in the PFC where Speedy won it at a put bsck at the buzzer What NBA player was sitting courtside at that game
Dave Debusschere.. I told my dad after the game that he was there and he didn't believe me :lol:
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

When I spoke to Speedy hecdidnt know Dave was there
HofstraUSA

Post by HofstraUSA »

Polito wrote:Agree 100% Jojo, was just thinking the same thing.

Farrelly and Speedy (especially) need to watch this with the team - some fantastic words used to describe that group by the TV announcers at the end:
Assertive
Sacrifice
Tenacity

That group had DOG in them - exactly what I've been clamoring about for years - HU has a lot of talent, but it needs to develop that aggressive in your face unafraid don't bring your crap into my house attitude.

And that right there is what a leader can do by instilling that culture. The staff needs to start it though - listening to Jay's locker room talks, he got his guys filled with an attitude and the mindset to run through a brick wall.

I think HU has some of those qualities, great young men with passion, but we need some DOG - that means guys that know they aren't going to knock you out with 5 star talent every play, but they are going to out-hustle your ass all game long on BOTH ends of the floor.

This is what is missing from this program lately and now - Ray is a kitten out there for no reason, he has PLENTY of talent to bully, but only does it for 5 plays a game - not enough dude for a Sr starting 'leader' - Coburn is starting to show some signs, and his game is reflecting it - Kante has it at times, but needs to enforce his will much more consistently each game - he's undersized, but so what, so was Gittens, Uter, and plenty of other guys - he has plenty of weight, be more of a bully - Burgess, Green, and Cramer have the seeds of it, just need more experience to establish the confidence required to own every floor they step on.

WATCH THIS VIDEO TEAM!! You want to win, you don't ask for the W, you gotta get mean and go take it right out of their hearts. :P
This is...this is something.

You realize you are inferring the DOG mentality was missing from the 2020 CAA champs and that you are calling 3/5ths of the starting lineup of that team soft, right? Jalen Ray has drained almost every big bucket we've hit in the last four years and was the leading candidate from Hofstra to be the tourney MVP before Buie went off in the final few minutes of the title game. Coburn's insertion into the starting lineup in 2018-19 coincided with the start of this historic run. Kante was better down the stretch last season than Jacquil Taylor was down the stretch in 2018-19, set his career-high rebounds in the CAA title game and then broke it against Rutgers not even two weeks ago.

These guys are soft and missing the DOG attitude you demand? Really? And Speedy needs to see this? He was there for it. Hate to burst your bubble but he doesn't need you to tell him about it, or about what Hofstra teams need.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraUSA wrote:
Polito wrote:Agree 100% Jojo, was just thinking the same thing.

Assertive
Sacrifice
Tenacity

This is...this is something.

You realize you are inferring the DOG mentality was missing from the 2020 CAA champs and that you are calling 3/5ths of the starting lineup of that team soft, right? Jalen Ray has drained almost every big bucket we've hit in the last four years and was the leading candidate from Hofstra to be the tourney MVP before Buie went off in the final few minutes of the title game. Coburn's insertion into the starting lineup in 2018-19 coincided with the start of this historic run. Kante was better down the stretch last season than Jacquil Taylor was down the stretch in 2018-19, set his career-high rebounds in the CAA title game and then broke it against Rutgers not even two weeks ago.

These guys are soft and missing the DOG attitude you demand? Really? And Speedy needs to see this? He was there for it. Hate to burst your bubble but he doesn't need you to tell him about it, or about what Hofstra teams need.

So before this gets out of control we all know what Jalen Ray means to this team and his accolades and when the game is on the line he's the guy who wants the ball and the guy you want to have the ball. The DOG reference here more refers to leadership but we know that Ray isn't a PIT BULL it's not in his nature but he needs to be more of a leader and truth be told he's soft spoken and does lead by EXAMPLE. Kante also is tough nose player who does more leading by example and is not all that VOCAL. I think the real bulldog here is Coburn who is ferocious. IDK how many of you remember the playoff game against Delaware last season when Coburn grabbed an O rebound put it back in with Colin Goss in his face. Goss got hurt I think with an elbow(clean play) and couldn't come back in the game. If we remember the play and the LOOK ON COBURN'S FACE that's the example of a real rabid bulldog but not everyone is going to be as demonstrative as Coburn. No disrespect intended here I'm sure we're all diehard fans!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Dooku25 wrote:Wow, this footage really brings back some memories. The 98-99 team is where it all started for me. The win over Georgia Tech in the Garden really caught my eye. Attended my first game shortly thereafter. That game would be the Speedy put back buzzer beater against Delaware at the old PFC. I also dragged 2 of my buddies to Piscataway for the NIT game vs Rutgers and talked up Speedy the whole way there, only to find out that he was out with a quad injury. It was nice seeing some clips from all 3 of those games. Those were some special teams.
It was great victories over Georgia Tech and Penn and somehow I remember the coach of Georgia Tech praising this HU team saying that they could play with any team in the country. Great memories for sure.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Not to get too off topic on this thread, but Ray, Coburn and Kante are champs for life. They helped end the 19 year drought for this program and will live in Hofstra hoops history. But right now, we are on to this year, and its been a slow start. The seniors always have to be relied upon. Just like Buie and Eli were last year and they delivered BIG TIME. We are only 4 games in with some new faces so I can give them a pass on the Rutgers game which was a tough spot. But the Iona game was a very disappointing effort and although they built a big lead against SB, they were outscored 20-2 in a 12 minute stretch in the second half. Ray and Coburn as seniors and as our best players, cannot allow these things to happen. Expectations are high for the best players on the team who are also seniors. I am fully confident that Ray will pick it up as the season progresses. He's a career 40% 3 pt shooter who is currently sitting at 27% to start his senior year.

All of us who post on the board are probably the biggest HU hoops fans out there, and we all want to see the team play up to what they are capable of. We have been treated to some great teams in the past who played with heart, desire and toughness like the 98-99 team. We know this year's team is just as capable, and we all hope to see this team cut down the nets in March and play in the NCAA tournament like they deserved to do last year.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Dooku25 wrote:Wow, this footage really brings back some memories. The 98-99 team is where it all started for me. The win over Georgia Tech in the Garden really caught my eye. Attended my first game shortly thereafter. That game would be the Speedy put back buzzer beater against Delaware at the old PFC. I also dragged 2 of my buddies to Piscataway for the NIT game vs Rutgers and talked up Speedy the whole way there, only to find out that he was out with a quad injury. It was nice seeing some clips from all 3 of those games. Those were some special teams.
It was great victories over Georgia Tech and Penn and somehow I remember the coach of Georgia Tech praising this HU team saying that they could play with any team in the country. Great memories for sure.
Beating Bobby Cremins at that time was eye opening. From that game forward, I viewed our basketball program as legit and thought if they could beat Georgia Tech at Madison Square Garden, the program could be capable of doing big things if built correctly. The George Mason run to the final 4 in 2006 could have easily been Hofstra. At least we got to hear "Hofstra beat them twice" all throughout their run. And it's really a shame what happened last March, because I think our program was poised for a breakthrough victory or two in the NCAA tournament. One day, it will happen.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes Dooku25 like all your positive vibes and lets keep these posts from becoming contentious we're all on the same team here!
Polito

Post by Polito »

HofstraUSA... goodness my friend lol ... you COMPLETELY misunderstood literally the entire post. Please reread it. I said nothing of the sort.

You may want to respond at a normal hour when the brain is firing on all cylinders! I’ve done it too, lol, not hatin just statin! Appreciate your fire though! :P
Polito

Post by Polito »

C'mon USA, where you at man, get back over here and own it! And while you're at it, go post under my Kudos to Farrelly thread for good measure to make up for it! :P :P :P