New Hofstra President, Dr. Susan Poser

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
fiftiespride

Re: New Hofstra President, Dr. Susan Poser

Post by fiftiespride »

Thanks for posting Husid74. Welcome home and to Hofstra Dr. Poser. Wishing you every success and happiness. You sound like the complete package.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Dr. Posner certainly seems like an impressive pick.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote:Dr. Posner certainly seems like an impressive pick.
Yes Mikey but does she like sports?? Will she bring back our football program??
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
Mikey77 wrote:Dr. Posner certainly seems like an impressive pick.
Yes Mikey but does she like sports?? Will she bring back our football program??
Let's make sure she keep the sports that are currently here first.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dont count on it tripleC she comes from a non football school.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Football is likely done. I think hockey being so less costly a more likely possibility, if at all.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Well, she is wearing a Hofstra Pride sweatshirt in her "official" photo.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Dont count on it tripleC she comes from a non football school.
Illinois-Chicago (UIC) plays 16 sports (two numbers means it is for both genders):

1. Baseball
2. and 3. Basketball
4. and 5. Cross County
6. Golf (Women's)
7. and 8. Soccer
9. Softball
10. and 11. Swimming & Diving
12. and 13. Tennis
14. and 15. Track & Field
16. Volleyball

We list Cross County with Track & Field, so that's two sports we don't play, and Swimming & Diving for both genders makes four, so we have 12 sports in common. We have 17 sports, and the sports we have that they don't are Field Hockey, Golf (Men's), Lacrosse (both genders), and Wrestling.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

More than 270 candidates were considered, according to the article. I have nothing compare that to, but that seems like a huge candidate pool to me, especially since those were only the ones that were considered out of the applicants.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If you were referring to her personal background, she was Swarthmore undergrad and Cal law/phd (both excellent). Swarthmore is better known for Fulbright scholars than athletics; Cal is strong at everything.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Coach Farrelly opened his postgame presser tonight by welcoming her as president and saying it was good the team could win on the day she became president. And he also complemented Rabinowitz on his service as president. After other games, he similarly put the basketball into proper context, noting that teams are even lucky to be playing at all right now, with Covid. I find those quick statements (before he gets into basketball) to be pretty cool, making note of the larger Hofstra, national and world communities, with Hofstra Basketball being a piece of that.
Polito

Post by Polito »

100% Wags - Farrelly gets it. Have to say, I'm impressed. More power to him, rooting for him big time - great guy who cares, and a great family.

Thanks HUSID, I hadn't seen that yet.

She looks to be a supreme selection IMO, checks off numerous boxes. I can easily see the appeal, she looks to be ready for this role. She carries a MUCH more national background than Rab, who was mostly a NY tied guy - not saying one is better than the other, both are skilled and educated, but it will be interesting to see if that impacts things.

And yes for us the biggest question is does she have a love and appreciation for athletics?!?! UIC has had a pretty good hoops program, that's their baby just like here, so I'm hopeful. Beyond that, the positives are clear:

- Experience shows a natural progression of leadership and impact to this point.
- National exposure and reach - not just a regional leader. This could pay big dividends for HU to expand it's horizons and reputation.
- Supreme education and affiliation at some of the best schools in the country.
- UIC has some useful parallels that hopefully will pay off for her.
- HU also provides some unique upticks for her, including a higher endowment. Will be interesting to see how she can leverage certain things.
- A proven fundraiser, and I do like that UIC has sponsorships all over their facilities and buildings - bring in that dough!
- The first woman president for HU - the timing couldn't be better, and nails the diversity aspect, which I think is important.

I would really like to see HU grow it's numbers, and I'm hoping UIC's much larger size has her in that mindset - it's become way too small IMO. About 8-10k undergrad, and another X for grad (10-15 total max) seems right sized to me. It's built for that, and those numbers can help so many things, including community/state/region support, alumni pool, marketing reach, merchandising, sponsorships, media / attention, and donation / tuition dollars.

Looking forward to the next chapter - rise us up Dr. P!
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

It is an excellent choice.

UIC was founded in 1982 after the combining of many academic units and schools and the sports programs are less than 40 years old. UIC has an excellent reputation in Chicago and in Illinois. About 1 out of 10 Chicago residents that are college grads graduated from UIC. Very impressive.

Poser's own academic career shows me that she has been exposed to big time sports. She went to law school and got her Ph.D. from Cal Berkeley. Big sports school. Big Football School.
Poser was dean at the University of Nebraska - BIG Football school and sports school.

I think someone like her would see the value of adding back football and perhaps swimming, diving , hockey to Hofstra.
Poser is a pro she is going to see what Hofstra's competition does in sports -- Fordham, Saint John's, Stony Brook and Poser will want to match that and outdo the competition. Poser is big on diversity....sports programs attract diverse students.

Poser already takes over an academic powerhouse at Hofstra. She will put her own stamp on Hofstra.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: I would really like to see HU grow it's numbers, and I'm hoping UIC's much larger size has her in that mindset - it's become way too small IMO. About 8-10k undergrad, and another X for grad (10-15 total max) seems right sized to me. It's built for that, and those numbers can help so many things, including community/state/region support, alumni pool, marketing reach, merchandising, sponsorships, media / attention, and donation / tuition dollars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstra_University says we have 6,701 undergraduates and 4,170 graduates, which is 61.64 percent undergraduate, and that's from 2018. The total of 10,871 is in the 10,000 to 15,000 range. Other schools have a higher percentage of their students who are undergraduates. Looking at the other private CAA schools, Drexel has a slightly higher 63.40 percent who are undergraduates, and that's from August 29. For Fall 2019, Northeastern had 67.03 percent as undergraduates. As of August 2019, Elon had 90.84 percent as undergraduates. St. John's has 77.96 percent as undergraduates, and Wikipedia doesn't have a source for that, so I don't know when the numbers are from.

I don't travel alone. I live in Merrick and couldn't have gone anywhere else. Other than Physical Geological Science in my first semester, I never had more than 40 students in a class. So many schools have lectures with hundreds of students, and Hofstra doesn't have many classrooms that could hold that many. I didn't care about if Hofstra was famous or would impress other people. A unique thing I took advantage of was that there was a date about 70 percent of the way through each semester, and until that date anyone could drop a class for any reason. Without saying what I did, I worked at Adelphi for seven years, and they had academic policies and other things that would have been much worse for me as a student.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

EvanJ wrote:
Polito wrote: I would really like to see HU grow it's numbers, and I'm hoping UIC's much larger size has her in that mindset - it's become way too small IMO. About 8-10k undergrad, and another X for grad (10-15 total max) seems right sized to me. It's built for that, and those numbers can help so many things, including community/state/region support, alumni pool, marketing reach, merchandising, sponsorships, media / attention, and donation / tuition dollars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstra_University says we have 6,701 undergraduates and 4,170 graduates, which is 61.64 percent undergraduate, and that's from 2018. The total of 10,871 is in the 10,000 to 15,000 range. Other schools have a higher percentage of their students who are undergraduates. Looking at the other private CAA schools, Drexel has a slightly higher 63.40 percent who are undergraduates, and that's from August 29. For Fall 2019, Northeastern had 67.03 percent as undergraduates. As of August 2019, Elon had 90.84 percent as undergraduates. St. John's has 77.96 percent as undergraduates, and Wikipedia doesn't have a source for that, so I don't know when the numbers are from.

I don't travel alone. I live in Merrick and couldn't have gone anywhere else. Other than Physical Geological Science in my first semester, I never had more than 40 students in a class. So many schools have lectures with hundreds of students, and Hofstra doesn't have many classrooms that could hold that many. I didn't care about if Hofstra was famous or would impress other people. A unique thing I took advantage of was that there was a date about 70 percent of the way through each semester, and until that date anyone could drop a class for any reason. Without saying what I did, I worked at Adelphi for seven years, and they had academic policies and other things that would have been much worse for me as a student.
You are right. Hofstra does not have large undergrad classes. Hofstra lacks the physical structure for huge big classes. Hofstra could probably get to 7K to 8K undergraduates which is where is was in the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s. I think Hofstra's freshman class has been around 1500 each fall for a long time. Unfortunately, about 25% transfer out or drop out before sophomore year. And about 60% of each group graduates in 5 years or less. That has been Hofstra's problem at the undergraduate level. Hofstra always relies on transfers and its programs with local community colleges for enrollment.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I noticed from photos on her twitter (last tweeted in January 2016) https://twitter.com/SusanPoser
that she is big Mets fan with tons of photos at games and sporting Mets apparel. Hopefully this is good indication she will be a strong backer of Hofstra athletics. Here is video of her introducing herself to Hofstra community and you get a strong sense of her enthusiasm for the job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5tkOBuOu2g&t=12s
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU can absolutely handle being bigger, and WAS bigger when I was there YEARS ago. There's plenty of room and infrastructure to expand to the numbers I've thrown out there, because they DID it already before. I want to see 8-10k undergrad, and 4k grad. So I'll edit my original numbers slightly to reflect 12-15k.

That's where HU was, and my preference for it to be going forward. That is one area I have not agreed with this current regime, becoming some small time boutique pretend / wanna be ivy that HU will literally never be. HU should be a smaller midsize top 125-150 national U. 160 now, so it's not a stretch at all.

I'm about GROWTH, and I hope Dr. P is of the same mindset.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:HU can absolutely handle being bigger, and WAS bigger when I was there YEARS ago. There's plenty of room and infrastructure to expand to the numbers I've thrown out there, because they DID it already before. I want to see 8-10k undergrad, and 4k grad. So I'll edit my original numbers slightly to reflect 12-15k.

That's where HU was, and my preference for it to be going forward. That is one area I have not agreed with this current regime, becoming some small time boutique pretend / wanna be ivy that HU will literally never be. HU should be a smaller midsize top 125-150 national U. 160 now, so it's not a stretch at all.

I'm all for upping enrollment size, as long as it doesn't mean a lessening of admission standards.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

Polito wrote:HU can absolutely handle being bigger, and WAS bigger when I was there YEARS ago. There's plenty of room and infrastructure to expand to the numbers I've thrown out there, because they DID it already before. I want to see 8-10k undergrad, and 4k grad. So I'll edit my original numbers slightly to reflect 12-15k.

Totally agree with you. The smaller approach/small boutique liberal arts college rationale was never Hofstra at all.

With all the money spent on the 3 presidential debates which brought worldwide attention to Hofstra -- $9 million just in application fees really did not work -Hofstra's national ranking fell from the 120s to now 160 and the admissions profile did not significantly improve. Adelphi (170) and St. John's (170) are very close to Hofstra now in the USNWR rankings. Quinnipiac University (153) ranks higher than Hofstra.

At least the current Hofstra leadership tried with the debates but it did not completely work. I hope this approach stops under Dr. Poser.

Invest in Hofstra. Expand Hofstra Athletics. Expand and focus on the undergraduate programs.