Game 5 vs. Stony Brook, 12/9/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Re: Game 5 vs. Stony Brook, 12/9/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, In the postgame,could you please ask Coach Farrelly about the status of Cowart? So far nice bounce back game against a LI Rival.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra has suddenly gone as cold as it is in the fanless Mack right now, missing its past six shots.

That has allowed StonyBrook to score 14 straight to trim a 23-point deficit to just 9, at 60-51. 7:57 left.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

This is getting hairy
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:Wags, In the postgame,could you please ask Coach Farrelly about the status of Cowart? So far nice bounce back game against a LI Rival.
May not get to - we only get one question each on Zoom but I could try to find out otherwise.
Wags

Post by Wags »

What a bad close. Stony Brook getting to the line in the second half (8/10), Hofstra barely at all (0/2). That has helped fuel this 20-2 run which has the Seawolves within 62-57 as Farrelly has his team call timeout with 3:37 left.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, Thanks for all your efforts.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Great call by Farrelly inserting Masic in beween two SBU FTs at :59.3

He hits a big shot, the first of his career, to put HU up 68-63 with 31 seconds left.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Don't at all like that they let them back into the game, but good experience for Ray having to take (and make) shots in the clutch as "the guy". Huge bucket by Masic and big free throws from Burgess and Kante put the game away.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Way way too close - unnecessary, but they pulled it out. Have to say I was not for putting Masic in lol and boom he hits a big time shot - nice clutch FT's by Burgess and Kante at the end to help seal.

This team has a ton of potential, but still loses its way multiple times in games, and again that's all leadership - still looking for one. C'mon guys. :roll:

I'll have to digest more, but at least some encouraging stuff in this game to counter continuing issues. And hey Coach Farrelly, my man, coming through with the full court press! Hearing me yelling from home I guess LOL :P ;)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

These scoring droughts have to stop if we expect to win the CAA Yes leadership is needed on the court Maybe Burgess grows into that role as the season progresses Stop chucking up threes and get to the rim
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

All nine of our players scored. It was our most scorers since we had eleven score in a 111-69 win hosting New York Tech on November 15, 2020. It was the first time we had at least nine players score against a Division I team since we had eleven score in a 102-61 win hosting Elon on February 7, 2019.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:These scoring droughts have to stop if we expect to win the CAA Yes leadership is needed on the court Maybe Burgess grows into that role as the season progresses Stop chucking up threes and get to the rim
This was the first time in the second half and with a big lead. The other three games, the droughts were in the first half. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team completely dominate going up 60-37 only to then go on to score 2 points in 12 minutes. That's almost impossible to do. Again, Coburn and Ray have to step up and not allow this to happen. If they selfishly have to take more shots, fine. You cannot allow your team to score 2 pts in 12 minutes..

One big positive tonight was Burgess. He's looking more and more comfortable out there. Hit a few 3's and buried 2 clutch free throws in the closing seconds to put us up 2 possessions. Finished with 12 pts and 6 assists, nice job.

Also, the officiating in the 2nd half was very sketchy.. If fans were allowed, the refs would have heard about it from Cactus from the stands
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Dooku25 wrote:Also, the officiating in the 2nd half was very sketchy. If fans were allowed, the refs would have heard about it from Cactus from the stands.
I could hear him tonight! :)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:
Dooku25 wrote:Also, the officiating in the 2nd half was very sketchy. If fans were allowed, the refs would have heard about it from Cactus from the stands.
I could hear him tonight! :)
:lol:
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Maybe Burgess grows into that role as the season progresses
3 Ast, 3 TO in the season opener at Rutgers
Since then, over the past three games: 16 Ast, 2 TO. And tonight, throw in the first double-digit scoring game of his career (12 pts) on efficient shooting (2/3 from 2 and the same from 3).

That recent 8:1 ratio is very impressive. Even 3:1 is considered good. There may be a lot of hope for him yet.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I agree with this from Farrelly on Tareq:

"He’s really keeping people honest because he’s driving the ball really well. I think last year, on the scouting report, you would have said, ‘Just make sure Coburn doesn’t catch and shoot a 3’ and you can’t do that anymore. He’s a much more well-rounded player this year."

I think I remember asking Joe and Tareq about this fairly often before this year - it's not just him, it's any shooter that is capable of doing more than just shooting. If you want to shoot from deep, and you are capable of driving, then drive. It'll only open up your perimeter game even more when defenses have to respect both. Then you can shoot with more ease from outside.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Maybe Burgess grows into that role as the season progresses
3 Ast, 3 TO in the season opener at Rutgers
Since then, over the past three games: 16 Ast, 2 TO. And tonight, throw in the first double-digit scoring game of his career (12 pts) on efficient shooting (2/3 from 2 and the same from 3).

That recent 8:1 ratio is very impressive. Even 3:1 is considered good. There may be a lot of hope for him yet.
Not sure if it was intentional or just organically happened but seemed like ray took the ball up more than in the prior games which maybe took a bit of the pressure off him running the point all the time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

IDK if people were experiencing the same issues with Flo once again in the first half I lost transmission twice. I have to close the app and go back on it. Very annoying also the first part of the second half no score or any stats on the screen for a long time. I like to know the score obviously but also fouls and the shot clock. Pride Productions you need to get your act together! Most of us I assume were relatively happy with the first half seeing Green get off the schneid and hit a long three at the top of the key. I personally was very happy for him as I thought he was looking lost and not playing with confidence and Burgess maybe because Cowart not around seemed to be playing with a new found confidence and showing some swagger. Also to be noted that during the time outs he was very vocal in the huddle with the coaches and really apparently taking on a leadership role. Also doing the same on the court. His emergence can't be understated and I'm pulling for him hoping he has turned the corner. I guess if Cowart is gone he now has to be the man and people might see Ray playing the point now to spell Burgess. Such a crazy turn of events if Cowart left the team or quit. Maybe personal things going on in his life so shouldn't speculate.
I'll eat some crow here since I have been one of Silverio's biggest fans but his game has deteriorated in the last two games and he has been awful making bad shot selections and just playing out of control. The only positive for him other then his rebounding is that he's a decent foul shooter if he can get to the foul line. He needs to become a more sound basketball player especially if we're a guard short now. I thought Coburn had a very solid game not forcing much and showing how good a shooter he really is and his toughness on this team speaks volumes. For all the praise that has been bestowed on Cramer and well deserved I thought he missed shots in this game in the paint that he normally would make. IDK what's going on with his FT shooting but he clearly is a mess from there now shooting a set shot without dribbling the ball first. He just looks so awkward and he needs a lot of work there otherwise he might be the guy that other teams foul when the game is on the line, remember ROK?? Jalen couldn't hit a three in this game and it seemed like he was pressing a bit but hard to fault him since he was making big shots down the stretch and had 5 assists. IDK if anybody thought that when S.B. was making their comeback and we were looking tentative on offense that the coach at some point should have taken another timeout?? Just a thought otherwise another game we didn't play 40 minutes and some subbing hurt us with a big lead. I also didn't want to see Masic in this game at the end but he came up big.
Also should comment that it's the first time all year I remember Kante hitting mid range jumpers what a big plus to his ever improving game!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Agreed Polito, team has great potential. I guess Cowart read the handwriting on the wall with Burgess and a stud PG coming in next year.

Must say that ThecFlo Sports and Pride Productions are amateur at best. Every time ther is a timeout a lose the feed andvneed to refresh...most of the second half the score and time remaining were not visible.

Needed to deploy my big screen a laptop and my phone to watch this thing.

How do you expect casual fans to put up with this?