Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Game 5 vs. Stony Brook, 12/9/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Post by Jojogunne »

Bring on the Seawolves!
Wags

Re: Game 5 vs. Stony Brook, 12/9/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Post by Wags »

if you thought Hofstra struggled some against Iona's press, check the end of the first half today when Stony Brook completely fell apart. They were up 33-31 coming out of the under-4 timeout before St. John's closed the half 18-2, completely overwhelming Stony Brook with intense pressure, forcing repeated TOs that turned into easy buckets over the last 3+ minutes of the half. Wonder if Hofstra will try some of that on Wednesday given how badly Stony Brook handled it today.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Coach F said at one point (forget if it was pre or post game) that they expected to be pressed and it was a good prep for uncw. However, he said its hard to simulate effectively in practice because we do not press, ourselves.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:Coach F said at one point (forget if it was pre or post game) that they expected to be pressed and it was a good prep for uncw. However, he said its hard to simulate effectively in practice because we do not press, ourselves.
Yeah, he said that about UNCW in the postgame on Sat. They did it themselves against Iona, but only a couple times. If they look at film of what St. John's did at the end of that first half against SBU and feel they have the personnel to cause similar trouble (debatable), they might want to do it here and there on Wed. since SBU was very rattled by it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I made a point previously that I am seeing a HUGE trend this season (and I'm sure recent past, but this year specifically) with teams full court pressing - literally every game I have watched, all D1 levels, are pressing all game long. And if *I'm* seeing, it I would have expected the staff to be very well aware of this and actually doing something about it. Disappointing to hear that from Mike.

I think it's very silly that HU doesn't do any of that, that's a big mistake IMO - hope Farrelly changes that quickly - it's not just UNCW, EVERY team is using that strategy to slow things down with minimal offseason practice time, and they especially will if they know you don't bother with it yourselves - that's just foolish. C'mon staff, we need to be better than that at this stage. You don't have to do it all game, but you should absolutely have that in your skill set - if you can't even replicate it in practice, a fundamental element of the game, that's just poor management.

And it wasn't good prep, they got their butts beat with it. Good prep is doing it in PRACTICE. Sheez, this clearly has hit a nerve with me lol :lol: but like seriously, c'mon guys...
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

I agree with Polito. The press emphasizes athleticism and depth and Hofstra has that this year. We just can't shoot, yet. Coaching staff needs to watch some of Nolan Richardson's teams at Tulsa and Arkansas. Forty minutes of Hell. That's how you do it.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Nolan Richardson had the best line about the full court press He said when it works its 40 minutes of hell When it diesnt work people say What the HELL is he doing!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

A National Championship, an NIT Crown, and who knows how many NCAA and NIT appearances later - it mostly worked.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mikey77 wrote:I agree with Polito. The press emphasizes athleticism and depth and Hofstra has that this year. We just can't shoot, yet. Coaching staff needs to watch some of Nolan Richardson's teams at Tulsa and Arkansas. Forty minutes of Hell. That's how you do it.
That's not something you just throw in when you're not used to it. When HU did try it very sparingly, Iona beat it for easy buckets. Also, in this atypical year, with limited OOC games and practice time, the conditioning for something like that is affected. And you need the right personnel to do it. Many factors before you go to that kind of extreme, especially when HU already proved it can win a regular season and CAA title in the same year (albeit with the likes of guys they don't have now, like Buie & Eli) with a good zone D as a core backbone of the team, mainly directed under the same guy who is now the head coach. So, you don't just abandon that (especially when it was very successful last year) and magically become Arkansas under Norm Richardson.

Rather, like I suggested, you merely look at what SJU did with the press to SBU to sharply turn that game at the end of the first half on Sunday and see if HU can do the same as a wrinkle here and there, given that SBU couldn't handle that. If you see it's working, stick with it a little more for as long as guys could handle it physically (because it is a demanding way to defend physically). If not, you still have the zone.
Polito

Post by Polito »

My frustration here is they aren't even practicing it for goodness sake - I mean, c'mon, that's just silly. Essentially every other team is not only practicing but actually doing it, there is no excuse for HU not to be at least preparing themselves for it. And they themselves should absolutely be incorporating a full press at certain opportune times...

Sure I get that it's not HU's style of play, that's fine, not saying I want it to be - BUT you can't just completely ignore a fundamental element of the game that nearly every other team is using lol. That was the D problem in JM's first years. Took them years to wake up to that, so let's learn from the past and not repeat it now. And frankly, they're already behind. They need to get busy! 8-)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're 9.5 favorites in this game weren't we 8 or 9 point favorites against Iona?? I'm hoping at some point we see Cramer start and Green come off the bench but whatever the staff does we have to feel that there's strong reasoning behind it. Someone should pose that question during the CCCchronicles.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Let's hope we can watch the damned game without horrible sound and the feed cutting out for every commercial...usually I'm at Hofstra home games so I don't see how poor our production is...very disappointing partiularly during these Pandemic times.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fully pitiful.

When can the CAA get new leadership that actually knows how to lead a conference and has the skill set to do it??? How does stuff like that work, how much longer do we have to endure this amateur hour??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Why cant this conference get a TV contract Even if its regional no excuse for this
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The MAAC and even the AE are on ESPN Plus which is a much better platform. I do think a great deal of the problem lies with Hofstra's Pride Productions as it produces the stream...it's then picked up by Flo.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I believe the CAA has a league contract with Flosports, so we are stuck with that for now. ESPN3 is free (if you already have ESPN), Flosports is not.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Jojogunne wrote:I believe the CAA has a league contract with Flosports, so we are stuck with that for now. ESPN3 is free (if you already have ESPN), Flosports is not.
Even worse that we to PAY for Flo!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

My understanding is Hofstra has completely production responsibility. Flo sports just offers the website and ability to monetize it. Not sure if the other CAA programs have better production or not; will find out when we get to CAA play.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't know why but I watched the women's game for a while on Sunday and everything seemed to be working fine?? Go figure!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I haven't had any problems with FloSports. The timeouts are weird and they played that same jiffylube commercial over and over and over, but the feed has been very good for me during the game.
I am right by my wifi router and using a wired chromecast ultra to beam it from my phone to the TV.
My only issue is the boxscore is posted at the bottom of the screen the entire time and the big red box is bad for burn in on OLED TVs.