Game 3 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, 11/30/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: Game 3 Fairleigh Dickinson, 11/30/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Post by cactus »

Dooku25 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Ray/Coburn/Silverio/Cramer/Kante - that has to be the lineup moving forward, it looked right.
This is definitely their top 5 right now. It might not be their starting lineup but it should be their crunch time lineup.
I'll give you 4, very impressed with Cramer so far, right now Burgess should be in during crunch time for his D and ability to bring the ball up court. Would like to see silverio improve on shot selection and less waving for the ball, but was nice to see him follow his shot and crash the boards today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:Would like to see silverio improve on shot selection and less waving for the ball.
Ditto, but he did have one real smooth-looking pull-up 3 in transition in the first half. If he can show a lot more of that, it would be great. The mechanics looked great on that shot. I hope he takes note of that in film study and tries to replicate it with repetition and hard work.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Ray/Coburn/Silverio/Cramer/Kante - that has to be the lineup moving forward, it looked right.
It did look like a winning formula last light - but still it'll be Burress starting and Silverio off the bench - that could be the lineup on the floor at the end of games.
Cramer - is an active piece to this puzzle
Coburn - love him - but the streakiest player ever - we'll live and die by his sword
Green - is green, young and needs to learn
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:At halftime FDU had 40 15 minutes later with 5 minutes left in the game they had 49 Let that sink in for a moment They scored 9 points in 15 minutes
Yes a really great collective effort on the part of our D. We had them throttled in the second half and like people say our D may be our best offense. So may things become evident even after two games. Green starts and IDK why,is this a confidence booster because he sure doesn't seem to show much or have any swagger. I haven't seen much of what everyone has touted Green for but remain a believer. It's really not whose starting here because u see Green getting 11 minutes and Cramer getting 28. For all intents and purposes Cramer is starting even though he's not on the court when the game starts. Cramer could be the new Justin in terms of the highlight plays and as someone said the new fan favorite but also take note of his 10 rebounds in this game. He adds such a different dimension to this team whether he starts or comes off the bench. At least for now Burgess starts and he's a very disappointing player on the O side of the ball but he's a plus on the D side. I really feel he has to penetrate and drive more hopefully he will start to attack the defense. Another given even after 2 games is that Silverio will be an integral part of this team. I'll again remind people that he's going to put up numbers and he has also attacks the offensive glass 5 boards 3 on the O glass. Ray is not a PG and shouldn't be counted on to be one. His forte is more of a catch and shoot scorer even though he can take it to the hoop. I've seen him turn the ball over last year when he gets pressed by good D guards. When the opposing team is not putting on any pressure in the backcourt even Kante could bring the ball up. Really like what this team could become but our three point shooting needs to improve however we're going to score a lot in the paint.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

I love using the deeper bench - always said it - I know that stats are bit skewed (Green starting and Cramer getting the majority of minutes off the bench) - we had more then 33% of bench minutes played
Also love the pressuring D - feel it creates energy - makes you use your bench
I know its early and things can change - but those two things are different with MF pulling the coaching trigger
Congrats Coach Farrelly -
Welcome to the Pride Kvonn Cramer (liked the comparison to JFW - both didn't get much PT their 1st year here - different reason; I know- but both during warmups were high flyers and a blindman could see their athleticism)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

First off, congrats to Caoch Farrelly on his first victory!
As we have all seen, this team is very different from last year. We are working in quite a few new pieces who need to play very critical roles.
IMO Cramer is coming off the bench to provide instant energy...it's clear he is ahead of Green but I beleive the coaches want it that way for now.
So far the two PGs have underwhelmed but they are athletic and they'll find their way in time. Remember they have had virtually no time to practice and jell as a team.
Looks like Trueheart has been buried and yea I believe its Burgess with the sling...looks like he has a cast on his thumb or finger.
And finally, maybe its me but what's up with PRIDE PRODUCTIONS? They can't even post a graphic with the score and time remaining for almost the entire first half...Come on boys you can do better! That's PRODUCTION 101
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:Looks like Trueheart has been buried and yea I believe its Burgess with the sling...looks like he has a cast on his thumb or finger.
Not sure about ST situation. He is wearing warm-ups all game which would indicate to me that he is not able to play (maybe minor injury). I think that when you are able to play, your in uniform and on the bench.

I think you meant Bethea and not Burgess, of course.
HUSID74

Re: Game 3 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, 11/30/20, 7 PM on Flospo

Post by HUSID74 »

Yes, meant Bethea, thanks.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I don't know why Ray wouldn't be the starting point guard the rest of the year, it's obvious that he already is, and he's handled the ball often the last three years. It's not a stretch to let him have that role, it's not an indictment on the other guys.

I get that Farrelly has almost an obligation to give Burgess and Cowart a shot at a starting role, and we need more hands on deck this year due to the back to backs. Ultimately we need scoring from all five positions though, it would make more sense to ease Caleb and Cowart into the offense to see if they could develop a scoring touch. I think both guys can give us good minutes throughout the year though, which is exciting since we were last in bench minutes in '19-'20.

I just look at the window to develop the lineup as accelerated despite the short preseason, and I think we found some magic with Silverio in there. He's looked good on both sides of the ball, I think he's played more within the offense than last year already. I'd like to see that lineup we played down the stretch on the court more against Iona, who is a perfect test for us at this time.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We played our best yesterday with Ray, Coburn and Silverio in the backcourt. They should start, along with Cramer and Kante.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I feel the need to respond to this talk about our starting 5 and we should take our best player(arguably maybe) our star SG and turn him into a PG. I'm not being adversarial here but c'mon this is not going to happen we all know this even though it has good intentions. If we remember the predicament we were in when we had Buie and Wormley at the point and Desure was rehabbing and trying to come back from an injury and Kenny was just not playing that well. We kept sending them back out there playing the point without good results if my memory serves me well. I'm not yet a big fan of Burgess and think like everyone else can this kid score the ball but aside from this Burgess does bring ferocious D so you could make an argument he needs a chance to show he can score and create. I don't know enough about Elmo but I think he's going to score and his college numbers show that he rebounds and passes the ball. I like the way he looks when he's on the court. The funny thing is that people want to see Silverio on the court when he has been crucified here by a lot of us and there are still people here doubting his shooting ability. We all know you can't take away too much from one game so as much as I have always supported Silverio I think he's best used coming off the bench and lets keep an open mind with having a PG play the position they have played most of the time. I hate to say it but if Silverio lays an egg in his next game there will be people that will probably say he's a chucker and he's shooting too much when maybe Farrelly will tell him to keep shooting. As Joe would say it's a marathon not a sprint.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

daHUPride wrote: I love using the deeper bench - always said it - I know that stats are bit skewed (Green starting and Cramer getting the majority of minutes off the bench) - we had more then 33% of bench minutes played
Another way of measuring the distribution of minutes is what percent came from players other than the five with the most minutes. Last season Silverio started once when Ray was hurt, and Klementowicz started Senior Day over Coburn. Other than that, our starters were the same all season, so our bench minute percent and minutes from players other than the top five percentage were close, although I'm not calculating it. Last season players other than the top five played 16.40 percent of the minutes. In 2015-2016 we used only nine players all season, JWF and Andre Walker hardly played, and after Nichols got injured our only significant bench player was Buie. We used the same starters in every game, and our bench played 14.66 percent of the minutes, which was even fewer than last season. So far this season our players other than the most used five played exactly 30.5 percent of the minutes.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

As I'm sure most of you know -it's not who starts but who finishes - HUSID has it right Cramer for instant energy off the bench.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:As I'm sure most of you know -it's not who starts but who finishes - HUSID has it right Cramer for instant energy off the bench.
Yes, always finishing over starting but even more, it's the minutes.

Green can start all he wants if he only gets 11 minutes and Cramer gets 28, like it was on Monday night.

And as a team, they need to keep attacking, which will mask some of the perimeter shooting deficiencies they'll have sometimes.
1st half: 18-16, FDU in the paint.
2nd half: 24-6, HU in the paint.
A 16-point swing from one half to the next in a 15-point outcome.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:As I'm sure most of you know -it's not who starts but who finishes - HUSID has it right Cramer for instant energy off the bench.
Yes, always finishing over starting but even more, it's the minutes.

Green can start all he wants if he only gets 11 minutes and Cramer gets 28, like it was on Monday night.

And as a team, they need to keep attacking, which will mask some of the perimeter shooting deficiencies they'll have sometimes.
1st half: 18-16, FDU in the paint.
2nd half: 24-6, HU in the paint.
A 16-point swing from one half to the next in a 15-point outcome.
Lets hope that Green a highly touted player by our staff deserves and gets more then 11 minutes. He has been a huge disappointment so far but its only been two games. You figure by now he would have gotten his first collegiate points and truth be told he has missed wide open shots and hasn't played with a whole lot of confidence IMO. I guess the reason that he's doing a lot of sitting. Masic another kid who really hasn't shown anything and who has also missed one open shot after another. Hofstra announcers made the point of saying he scored 25 points a game in H.S. Eventually these kids will start to bury those shots. The shots I'm seeing from them in the corners remind of Truehearts three point shots sadly enough.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I'm not as worried as you guys are abot shooting...we have guys who can shoot and even now after two games, one a clunker, we have four guys in double scoring figures and a fifth with nine points. As Farrelly said in his post game presser, the shots will drop.

We need to contiue to develop our two pgs and get Green on the right track...this will take some time. Hopefully by the start of the CAA season. Love that we open with two games at home against the Marys, who figure to be one of the worst teams in the CAA.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:We need to contiue to develop our two pgs and get Green on the right track...this will take some time. Hopefully by the start of the CAA season. Love that we open with two games at home against the Marys, who figure to be one of the worst teams in the CAA.
Agree with you HUSID. And to help thier development along, I hope we can schedule a few more OOC games the week before we open up CAA play. We currently have two long gaps between games (both longer than a week). The later gap has us not playing for 9 days before we open up against W&M. In my opinion, thats not good.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Maybe we can play a div2 team like Adelphi Molliy or NY Tech
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Our old friend David Duke is the Adelphi coach and Speedys brother Mike is on his staff
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Husid - definitely agree with you. The shots will fall. It’s about learning what else we have and improving the rest of the game before conference play rolls around.

Cards. I believe the dec 9-19th gap is for finals week.