Game 3 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, 11/30/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Game 3 Fairleigh Dickinson, 11/30/20, 7 PM on Flosports

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Announcers said we went 9 minutes without scoring. Not going to win many games playing like that.
Coburn's second 3-pointer at 9:56, then Ray on a layup at :19. They would have had others if FDU didn't hack them at the rim a few times during that stretch though.

Kante, Coburn & Silverio a combined 7/13, everyone else 4/22. Yesterday, it was Ray 5/8 but everyone else 3/27 at the half. Either going have to get some other guys to count on or redistribute the shot attempts more to the ones who can be counted on.

This is what I mean when I say... who is scoring when they need it without Eli and Pemberton. They need to figure that out.

23-6 FDU surge to close the half after HU led 25-17 and earlier, 18-8.

First game I'm covering since the tourney in D.C. -- wish the game were as much of a success, but I don't feel unsafe. Just wanted to mention that Hofstra has done a very good job with Covid protocols in the arena.
Last edited by Wags on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Of our last 15 shots we hit one ONE of 15
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Zion 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Intensity much better at each end of the floor. Coburn scored 10 pts during a 12-1 run to start the half. That is now a 26-8 spurt. 57-48, Pride!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

They are attacking the rim
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Cramer is going to be everyone's favorite player if he keeps doing this
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Blue Hens are going to be sorry they let Cramer get away from Wilmington, DE. I think HU has found something special in him. 6-6, athletic, polished, high energy. I see a good career ahead for him and a joy to watch for HU fans for four years.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Must have been quite the halftime speech in the locker room. Seems like a whole different team out there.
Wags

Post by Wags »

THIRTY-SIX to NINE, Hofstra in the second half, with 3:25 left. This is an impressive half of basketball, especially at the defensive end.
Polito

Post by Polito »

NOW we're talking, hell yeah, they got themselves SHOOK at halftime - and they needed it, whatever that speech was!

Coburn finally showing up, and what a difference he makes - he has to understand he is VITAL this year, has to be front and center every game.

Like I've said, Green over Cramer is bananas at this stage, and I hope that changes quickly. This kid is a budding phenom, the more he gets his legs under him, he is a BALLER. Figured he'd become a very good player with time and experience, but boy he might be more special than expected.

One thing I love, HU has finally FINALLY developed a defense, last year and the start of this one. That is HUGE. IF these guys can get their offense figured out and correct the shooting/scoring, that's a combo that can do damage.

Not ready to anoint anything yet, they need to prove they can produce points against better competition, but this is a great sign against a solid mid major after a very disappointing showing yesterday - and on no rest, another great sign.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

FDU scored 18 in the second half D won this game
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: One thing I love, HU has finally FINALLY developed a defense, last year and the start of this one. That is HUGE.
Yes! So good to see. We talk about all they lost at the PG position offensively, but Buie was the team's best defender last year, and they lost that too. And yet, the second half we saw tonight.

But the defense was really under Farrelly's direction last year, so no surprise that continues now with him as the head coach.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Outstanding defense? Can't hit water if they fell off a boat? Who are these people and what have they done to my Hofstra basketball team.

Cramer, Burgess & Co. going to give a lot of offenses fits this year. They're the most disruptive Hofstra defense I've ever seen.

On the other side, shooting will probably be a going concern...even more so when our two best shooters through 2 games are our seniors. Wouldnt mind giving Silverio more minutes (he played well tonight) just because he won't be afraid to put shots up.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Ray/Coburn/Silverio/Cramer/Kante - that has to be the lineup moving forward, it looked right.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Certainly a Jekyl and Hyde first and second half. Agree with what has been said about TC, KC and the D.
Of note, when we really took control and sustained the lead, neither PG was on the floor. Ray and Silverio were bringing the ball upcourt and handling the rock around the top of the key. I thought that was very interesting. Also noted that although Ray did not score well, he had a ton of assists (maybe 9 or 10) -- almost like a PG :shock: I wonder... ;)

FD - looks like we were posting at the same time - interesting you noticed the Ray/Silverio option as well.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Ray/Coburn/Silverio/Cramer/Kante - that has to be the lineup moving forward, it looked right.
This is definitely their top 5 right now. It might not be their starting lineup but it should be their crunch time lineup.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: Must have been quite the halftime speech in the locker room. Seems like a whole different team out there.
It's an instant candidate for best halftime improvement of the season. If the break was after 22 minutes, we might have done much worse.

Our three returning starters played more than yesterday, but still not excessively. Ray played 35 minutes tonight and 66 in two games, while everyone else is under 30. It would be very unusual if Ray is our only player who averages 30+. I'm not saying that will happen, but it's possible. In the last 16 complete seasons, we had at least two players average 30+ minutes every season except for 2008-2009 when Jenkins averaged 35.1 and Cornelius Vines was second with 25.3. The reason our second most minutes was that low was that we had eleven players average at least 10 minutes per team game. Our tenth most minutes was just over half of our second most minutes. To compare, last season our tenth most minutes was 5.6 percent of our second most minutes.

Jerry Beach gives stars 3, 2, and 1 point in each game and gives every player's season total after every game. I rank Coburn first, Cramer second, and Kante third. The only disappointing thing about Coburn was having only 3 rebounds, but when two forwards get a lot of rebounds, there aren't as many for guys who are good rebounders by guard standards. The statistics have an Analytics tab. In Efficiency, Coburn and Cramer tied at 23, Kante was third with 18, Silverio was fourth with 10, Ray was fifth with 9, and the other five ranged form 5 to -4. Green's -4 and Masic's -1 were negative. In Game Score, Coburn was first with 18.6, Cramer was second with 16.3, Kante was third with 13.4, Silverio was fourth with 8.0, and the rest ranged from Ray in fifth with 4.2 to Green's -3.5. The same two players were negative, as Masic was -0.7. Ray led us by far in +/- while he was on the court at +22. Ray had an amazing 9 assists for someone who isn't supposed to be a point guard, and his 4 rebounds are above the 2.9 he averaged last season, but guys who shoot 3-12 without making any threes or free throws can't have great games from other statistics. Silverio had 5 rebounds, and his rebounds per minute last season were better than Buie and Ray. Burgess shot 1-6, but 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals in 18 minutes are good. Cowart played 10 minutes and didn't do anything especially good or bad. Green played 11 minutes, and his only positive contribution was 1 rebound. Schutte scored 4, but only had 1 rebound in 8 minutes. Last season he averaged 1 rebound per 3.3 minutes.

If Ray can be a PG, our best lineup could have Cramer and Silverio starting. Is it a problem to rotate PGs a lot within games? For example, what if Burgess plays 15 to 20, Cowart plays 10 to 15, and Ray plays 30 to 35 and is the PG for about 10 while neither of Burgess or Cowart is playing. As long as Kante and Schutte are healthy, we know about how much each of them will play. With the lineup I propose, Burgess, Cowart, and Schutte would be our most used subs, with Green, Masic, and everyone else playing less. What do you think of this minute distribution?

Edit: I see other people agree with me about our best five players. If our starters should change, it's best to discover that early.

Ray, Coburn, and Kante combine for 90 (average 30)
Cramer and Silverio combine for 50 (average 25)
Burgess and Cowart combine for 35 (average 17.5)
Schutte plays 10
Everyone else combines for 15

Having our second most minutes by a sub being longer than two starters played is something that wouldn't happen in recent seasons.

The "Scoring" tab of the statistics lets you click on two scores, and it tells you how many points each team had before that range and during that range. The box score and play-by-play after the game aren't interactive. http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=321361 and equivalent pages are great, and they work indefinitely. If you know the URL, you can find games from years ago.
Dooku25 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote: Ray/Coburn/Silverio/Cramer/Kante - that has to be the lineup moving forward, it looked right.
This is definitely their top 5 right now. It might not be their starting lineup but it should be their crunch time lineup.
If it's not the starting lineup, Farrelly is procrastinating.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree on that Dooku - I don't think Ray can or should carry that position all game or all year - he can do it in spurts, but I believe one of these 2 PG's is gonna need to become what they're supposed to be - they have to play better. HU isn't sitting 2 PG's all year, they're here to produce - Ray can perhaps fill in the gap while one of them grows into the role, but either Elmo or Burgess need to step up.

Said a bit ago that Silverio is going to start next year IMO, and that he seemed ripe to have a foundation year this season to start showing what he's really capable of - so far I feel good about that thought, he needs to be on the floor more and play a bigger role - he is talented, quick, and unafraid to pull the trigger - still streaky, but this team needs scoring in the worst way.

You're prob on to something with him in that lineup FD. And there is NO question whatsoever that Cramer should man the 4 so far - let's not get locked into a lineup just because it was the Rutgers one - I have no doubt Green is going to be a great one as predicted in his time, you can see his ability / potential too, but KC is a potential super star at this level now, play him coach, end of story!

The biggest thing this team needs (besides some offense) is LEADERSHIP - not just stats, but actual leadership - still don't see anyone stepping up yet - they dearly miss Buie for that so far - I don't care if it's Ray or Coburn, but one of those two needs to rise to the occasion and LEAD their team.

But first W in the books, great bounce-back to right the vibe from yesterday - goal is to show big improvement each vital OOC game - a few days now to keep getting better, and prep for Iona.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra is 35-9 in its last 44 home games and 71-7 over the last 6-plus seasons when holding opponents under 70 points.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

At halftime FDU had 40 15 minutes later with 5 minutes left in the game they had 49 Let that sink in for a moment They scored 9 points in 15 minutes