2020-2021 CAA Men's Basketball Out of Conference

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: 2020-2021 CAA Men's Basketball Out of Conference

Post by Polito »

Ah, yeah, was hoping to see how that CofC / UR game went too. But perhaps a blessing, as I would not want to face the Spiders in the event they got upset by Charleston (very possible). They aren't losing to 2 CAA teams, so this gives HU a shot to be the one.

Agree Wags that it may be challenging to put up points, but not so much because of their D strategy (although its def good and a factor), to me it's that they will play a very slow deliberate game, and so the opps to score will be less. HU will need to take advantage of every possession. I know they won't score every one, but they will need to produce a lot more than not.

P.S. CofC is going to challenge this year, tough squad.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Ah, yeah, was hoping to see how that CofC / UR game went too.

Agree Wags that it may be challenging to put up points, but not so much because of their D strategy (although its def good and a factor), to me it's that they will play a very slow deliberate game, and so the opps to score will be less. HU will need to take advantage of every possession. I know they won't score every one, but they will need to produce a lot more than not.
Mixture of both - yes, they play a deliberate style, so less possessions in the game for each team if you can't turn them over (their head coach, Chris Mooney, played for Pete Caril and Princeton in the early '90s, and we know how that pace was). But ever since they switched from zone to man D during the season last year, their D has also been tough to score against. Without guys who can create their own shots against a D like that in quite the same way that JWF, Pemberton or Buie did, it might be tough for HU to score against that defense. But more games to worry about before we get to that one in about three weeks.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I didn't know where to put this post, so I stuck it here. Great article on Kvon Cramer. Enjoy!

https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/ne ... ow/1135625
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Cards, What a great article! Thanks so much for sharing. Some of us do not fully realize the tears, time, energy, and devotion it requires to be a player returning from an injury. Best of luck to KC.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

14 more games cancelled or postponed
Iona vs Merrimack
W&M vsHampton
Towson vs Coppin State
Elon vs Mercer
Fordham vs Manhattan
Whats going on?
This doesnt include StJohns vs Texas Tech
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Drexel beat Quinnipac 66-48 yesterday and 70-58 today. They played twice at Mohegan Sun in under 24 hours. Drexel's next three are at home, with Coppin State from Baltimore and Atlantic 10 teams La Salle and St. Joseph's making short trips. All of Drexel's nonconference home games are on NBC Sports Philadelphia, but I haven't seen anything about national or local TV for any CAA games.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Re: getting more games scheduled. On one of the other threads I mentioned 2 week+ long gaps HU has in its OOC schedule and that we should be looking to add games. The group (including me) opined that the first gap was likely finals week. Well I just checked the academic calendar and 12/2 to 12/8 is finals week (right now) - not the first gap week in the schedule.

Absolutely no excuse for not picking up more games, IMO. The team could use the work.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

St. John's now playing Rider....Ridiculous!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Hofstra reschedules @ Monmouth Dec 15th, 7 pm
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great news, VERY glad to see that game back on! I think it's a good mid major one to have this year.

As for SJU, it's pretty sad on their part. Frankly I hope they lose one of these buy-in games BIG to serve them right.

But if that's how it's gonna be, than I'd like to see HU be aggressive about other names in the region like Seton Hall, UConn, Temple, URI, Providence... and of course Nova if Jay will go for it again sometime! Not in NY I know, but plenty of good opponents within easy driving distance that would make great sense. RU is a great start, let's keep pressing with others.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Pikell is a standup guy He doesnt back down
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Was just mentioned in the CCC chronicles that they may add a game this weekend.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraMathew wrote:Was just mentioned in the CCC chronicles that they may add a game this weekend.
Thats good news HM - lets hope it happens. The team certainly needs more games to figure things out prior to CAA play.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:Was just mentioned in the CCC chronicles that they may add a game this weekend.
Thats good news HM - lets hope it happens. The team certainly needs more games to figure things out prior to CAA play.
Yes they also mentioned a 13 game minimum requirement to be eligible for the NCAA tournament. I can't imagine that will be an issue but who knows what will happen with COVID going forward.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh that would be great, make it happen! The more games the merrier 8-)