Claxton and Curtin Chronicles

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Claxton and Curtin Chronicles

Post by triplec2195 »

It was very informative being able to get some inside info. on the team this year with all of us having basketball withdrawal symptoms. Still no real info. on the coach or anything on the OOC schedule other then we will be playing SBU at home which I believe we all know. Speedy at one point referred to the local teams we like to play e.g. SBU, Manhattan, Fordham and St Johns saying that they don't want to play us and kept referring to St John's without mentioning their name. They talked about every player on the team with the exception of the walk-ons and very little on Trueheart. Superlatives were used when discussing Green saying that he's some physical specimen and has skills in every facet of the game. If you read between the lines they believe he's going to be somewhat of a phenom. Also mentioned Cramer and Claxton said they have NEVER had a kid playing at HU that had his athletic ability and he will make the highlight reels with his explosive dunks. I believe Speedy said he was the biggest surprise during the practices so far. They talked about Elmo and how he's older and polished and said that Bethea is a real tough kid and a hard worker whose outside shot needs to develop. Vukasin they mentioned as being a good passer and good shooter who needs to acclimate himself to the speed of the college game. I wasn't at all surprised when Speedy said that Kante far and away was the best BIG in the conference and that Jalen will be motivated to show he's one of the best players in the league after being snubbed for the 1st and 2nd team CAA preason picks. Gorchov at one point posed the question who would start if the 1st game was played tonite and Speedy said Burgess at the point(surprising) and Green the 5th starter. Also metioned both Speedy and Curtin the X-FACTOR is Silverio who they said has been working hard and now has a year under his belt with our system so anyone who was watching this meeting came away with the feeling we're going to be a very talented team and trying to find minutes for all these kids will be a tough job. I'm now more pumped then I had been and can't wait to get the season underway!!
Last edited by triplec2195 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraMathew

Re: Claxton and Curtin Chronicles

Post by HofstraMathew »

I completely glanced over the emails from Mike Neely on this; I thought it was like an advertisement for a podcast or something. I will need to pay attention so I don't miss the next one as it seems like it was a good talk with the coaches.

I am a bit less surprised Burgess gets the start and more so Green as the coaching staff seems to like to ease the freshman/new players into the starting lineup even if they are going to play a good chunk of the time anyway.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:Gorchov at one point posed the question who would start if the 1st game was played tonite and Speedy said Burgess at the point(surprising) and Green the 5th starter.
I think this is really good news. It means that the combo of Green/Cramer have shown (at least at this point) enough to the staff that they can handle the 4 spot. That allows TC to start at the 3, with JR at 2 and Burgess at the point. That allows us to keep 3 legit 3 pt shooters (JR, TC, and Green) in the lineup and keep some height on the floor. I love having TC being able to play the 3 spot (expecting a BIG year from him).

I assume Speed said Burgess at the pint because Elmo is still learning the HU system. No surprise that Masic and Bethea will need time to acclimate to D1. Sounds like ST will be in a smaller support role this season. Sounds like Silverio will be first off the bench and hopefully brings instant offense.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Gorchov at one point posed the question who would start if the 1st game was played tonite and Speedy said Burgess at the point(surprising) and Green the 5th starter.
I think this is really good news. It means that the combo of Green/Cramer have shown (at least at this point) enough to the staff that they can handle the 4 spot. That allows TC to start at the 3, with JR at 2 and Burgess at the point. That allows us to keep 3 legit 3 pt shooters (JR, TC, and Green) in the lineup and keep some height on the floor. I love having TC being able to play the 3 spot (expecting a BIG year from him).

I assume Speed said Burgess at the pint because Elmo is still learning the HU system. No surprise that Masic and Bethea will need time to acclimate to D1. Sounds like ST will be in a smaller support role this season. Sounds like Silverio will be first off the bench and hopefully brings instant offense.
Yes good points Cards I really thought that Elmo would be the automatic starter at the point due to his numbers at the JUCO level but Burgess knows the system and will have to show that he can score the ball. That seemed to be his deficiency last year but a ferocious Defensive player so he will start initially but that could change. Also Silverio being first off the bench I agree with and with the way the schedule will be in the CAA a lot of kids will get some minutes. They are giving Silverio the chance to prove he deserves the minutes and we know he can shoot the three but can he shoot it consistently.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing triplec. Sounds like Trueheart is on the outs for minutes, which I know many of us (not me) predicted. What they're saying about Green is promising, a 6'7 guy with true guard skills is a nightmare mismatch in the CAA.

Bethea and Vukasin still developing is not too much of a surprise, it's tough to be a polished guard right out of HS. Feels like Vuk might be a redshirt candidate, which makes sense, helps spread out that 4-person freshman class (bethea, green, cramer [RS], masic) a little more.

Kind of surprised Burgess is beating out Cowart at the moment, as Cards observes this could just be a system thing. Burgess has a ton of upside but I know Joe likes his PGs to be able to shoot, so maybe CB has made the leap there. I'd still pin Cowart for the starting job by opening day, he's here for a reason.

So new guess at a depth chart:

Cowart=Burgess
Ray/Silverio
Coburn/Green
Green/Cramer
Kante/Schutte
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I did forget to mention a few things and one had to do with Schutte who the coaches say has looked great in practice. They say he's very vocal on the court and plays with a lot of energy. Also mentioned he's a great rebounder who excels at setting ball screens. Sets screens better then Kante but really won't see more then 10 minutes a game. At one point Curtin says he probably the best big in the league coming off the bench. Now that speaks volumes and we know his game is still developing.
I didn't mention Coburn initially but his name was thrown around a lot in this half hour discussion and we know how important he will be this year.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Are there plans for the CCC (Claxton & Curtin Chronicles) to be available for archived viewing? Does anyone have any information when and where the next instalment will be?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I really enjoyed this, did not know much about Colin Curtin but I liked his responses.
They did bristle a bit when I tried to give them kudos for getting early signings done more than in the past.
(They also gave Gustys as an example along with Desure and Justin as early signings but he signed in May, was not early)
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

RollPride15 wrote:Really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing triplec. Sounds like Trueheart is on the outs for minutes, which I know many of us (not me) predicted. What they're saying about Green is promising, a 6'7 guy with true guard skills is a nightmare mismatch in the CAA.

Bethea and Vukasin still developing is not too much of a surprise, it's tough to be a polished guard right out of HS. Feels like Vuk might be a redshirt candidate, which makes sense, helps spread out that 4-person freshman class (bethea, green, cramer [RS], masic) a little more.

Kind of surprised Burgess is beating out Cowart at the moment, as Cards observes this could just be a system thing. Burgess has a ton of upside but I know Joe likes his PGs to be able to shoot, so maybe CB has made the leap there. I'd still pin Cowart for the starting job by opening day, he's here for a reason.

So new guess at a depth chart:

Cowart=Burgess
Ray/Silverio
Coburn/Green
Green/Cramer
Kante/Schutte

Speedy was happy with the work and confidence that Burgess has shown thus far.
They have a lot of options. Coburn has played the 4 most of his time here. Cowart has the size to play any guard position. Bethea is big and physical and could see time as well. And who knows, maybe Trueheart puts together his athletic ability with improved basketball IQ this year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fantastic juice in this thread guys, thank you all for the download!! I'm loving it all, really pumped for this season

Thrilled to hear about Burgess - remember this is a very talented guard, just needed some time to get settled in, and learn from Buie. He is quick with a super handle, can attack and dish, and we know is a tenacious defender. He has the ability to hit from deep but has needed to continue to grow that part of his skill, as well as the midrange. I'm hopeful that it's a matter of Burgess coming on that strong, rather than Cowart not showing as expected - if both are locked and loaded this team will be extremely dangerous.

Ecstatic to hear Cramer is healthy, and the teases about his ability are exciting - some high flying talent would be great for fans and marketability, not to mention game momentum impact. VERY intrigued about Green impressing enough to possibly start... he was a big signing, can play inside/outside with ease, Orlando/Region POY, that's no small deal, FL has a ton of talent. Perhaps Green takes the majority and Cramer provides the spark and momentum shifts when needed with his superior athleticism and energy. Either way, the 4 spot is finally secure with two big talents, and this will free TC to finally play the 3 as mentioned - I think this is where he belongs, hopefully his play reflects that. He will be a vital piece.

I feel confident we are going to see the next level from Ray - he's ready to be lead dog. And Kante, as I said and staff seems to confirm, is the best big in the league. Looking for a monster year from him. Great to hear about Schutte's progress as well, he'll only be needed about 10 a game, but if he can bring a tad more productivity during that time from last yr that would be a big boost to the 5 spot and Kante's ability to get some rest when needed.

I mentioned somewhere about Silverio... this kid is really so talented, it just hasn't clicked for him thus far. But it is there. IF the light bulb comes on, he will be a super 6 man this season, and I actually see him starting next yr. But he has to show out first, we'll see.

And remember, for the rest, the team needs guys to run scout and/or to redshirt. Not all need to find big minutes. Nor are all supposed to. ST included. But all will be needed and all will play their part.

The excitement is really building, ready to see this squad hit the floor! LET'S GOOOO
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

All the posts here are very accurate and a great recap of the Claxton/Curtin chat - it was great.

- they did NOT mention Truehart - which was surprising to me - disappointing
- I am guessing the Buress/Cowart "battle" is really close - as they were a tad bit less committed to the naming of a the PG ( as opposed to the 3 obvious TC/JR/IK and Green) - reminds me of the year when Wormley (experience) was battling Buie (young/coming off injury) - the cream will rise to the top
- thrilled that Green and or Cramer were mentioned - that is a great thing - quality recruiting; strengthens the bench with experience (ST/KS/OS)
- loved that they plan on using the bench more (wonder if that it is because of the talent or change in coaching styles-or both)

Otherwise it was a great 1/2 hour
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:Are there plans for the CCC (Claxton & Curtin Chronicles) to be available for archived viewing? Does anyone have any information when and where the next instalment will be?
Shadow thought I heard that this 1/2 hour chat will happen every Monday night. That's my recollection. Archived don't know.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

daHUPride wrote:All the posts here are very accurate and a great recap of the Claxton/Curtin chat - it was great.

- they did NOT mention Truehart - which was surprising to me - disappointing
- I am guessing the Buress/Cowart "battle" is really close - as they were a tad bit less committed to the naming of a the PG ( as opposed to the 3 obvious TC/JR/IK and Green) - reminds me of the year when Wormley (experience) was battling Buie (young/coming off injury) - the cream will rise to the top
- thrilled that Green and or Cramer were mentioned - that is a great thing - quality recruiting; strengthens the bench with experience (ST/KS/OS)
- loved that they plan on using the bench more (wonder if that it is because of the talent or change in coaching styles-or both)

Otherwise it was a great 1/2 hour
They posted pictures from practice a few days ago across social media and I did not see Trueheart.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

triplec2195, Thanks for the information. If anyone gets word on the next C&CC, maybe they could post a link.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Good stuff, very curious to see how the Farrelly rotation differs from the Mihalich rotation, I would imagine a deep bench early on as the coaching staff finds a way to replace almost 80 minutes from Buie and Pemberton.

Obviously Ray, Coburn and Kante are going to step in and take on larger scoring roles, but I can't wait to see Cramer and Green bring some athleticism to a 3/4 role. The new player I was most excited for coming into this season was Zion Bethea, I imagine he will be Jalens backup, but I think he has a big future at Hofstra, and I can see him coming on as we get into the conference schedule, he can get to the hoop!
Polito

Post by Polito »

ST is not a starter, should not be starting, and this season will not be. Provided he is here, he WILL however be a great role player off the bench. Everyone has a part to play, that's a team. Can't all be #1's. Need an effective bench as well.

Personally I don't think we're going to see a big difference between MF and JM, at least for this shortened season - w/out the normal practice and acclimation time, I think HU will be hesitant to change a lot and more motivated to stick with what is known / proven to work.

I DO think HU and others will be essentially forced to expand bench 'readiness' because of covid though. I expect to see almost all players get some minutes early on, but I think once conf play starts we'll see the previous approach of landing on the starting 5, playing them a ton, and a couple of primaries off the bench.

I am also excited to see how Zion comes along, although I think his role will be minor this year, if not redshirted. He's got a college ready frame already, so just a matter of the mind catching up in terms of knowing the HU playbook and getting a confident feel for the D1 game.

Hoping to see some real fire from the 4 beginning this season... knowing what these 2 can do is really exciting, and having more explosion will only beef up HU's run to repeat.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Team has only had 13 practices this year so far. Last year they had 13 in July!
This will be the plight of the mid-majors this year with the OOC being essentially a time for experimentation, getting roles settled, etc.
Having said that I hear that Burgess has REALLY surprised and is the clear leader at PG thus far.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Team has only had 13 practices this year so far. Last year they had 13 in July!
This will be the plight of the mid-majors this year with the OOC being essentially a time for experimentation, getting roles settled, etc.
Having said that I hear that Burgess has REALLY surprised and is the clear leader at PG thus far.
Good info. HUSID what else have you heard that Speedy and Curtin didn't discuss? I wonder if there will be any surprises other then the Burgess starting over Cowart scenario. I'm sure Cowart didn't come here thinking he would be the backup PG. That scenario is good for us meaning that Caleb is playing at a very high level and his being familiar with the plays here has him ahead of Elmo. I wonder how Cramer's role will be defined. If Green starts at the 4 and Coburn plays the 3 will they move Green to the 3 when Coburn goes out and bring in Cramer to play the 4. Also I wonder with a lot of young kids here will HU press in the backcourt like VCU since we seem to have a lot of very good young players?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Pumped about Burgess guys, kids got talent - if he's taking the bull by the horns and applying what he's learned from Buie, then let's go baby - I'll take a Jr JUCO stud off the bench all day long if that's the case! Cowart is player, not worried there, he'll continue to shine as he gets settled here. But the bigger concern offseason was Burgess's readiness, so this is really great news.

Both can score, and I think we'll see some of that, but they will not be required to bear the brunt of it, so we likely won't see the 30-40 Buie type nights - that will be the remaining 4 - they need to run the O, handle the rock, drive and dish, hit a three here and there to keep teams honest, and play lock down D. Do that and this team can be high-performing.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Agreed the question is who will make the scoring leap...last year we saw Buie go from 10 ppg to 18 and you could always count on Pemberton for 15-20 a night. The points are out there to be had. I can see Jalen making a leap, maybe Green is a stud right away, or Kante really starts eating and putting up some video game numbers. Those seem like the three most likely guys to make up our graduating seniors.