https://247sports.com/season/2024-baske ... ferportal/

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/wir ... ball/2024/
HUSID80

Re: NCAA 2024 MBB Transfer Portal

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

According to Verbal Commits, Elon's Max MacKinnon, last year's CAA ROY, is in the portal.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:58 pm According to Verbal Commits, Elon's Max McKinnon, last year's CAA ROY, is in the portal.
That's a big loss for Elon. He played well for them. Would be a great pickup for Hofstra if by some chance he wants to be like Policelli and transfer within the conference, although Policelli was joining a defending champ whereas HU obviously doesn't have that to offer.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I would think he would likely transfer to a conference with multiple NCAAT bids. He's a very talented player.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:25 am I would think he would likely transfer to a conference with multiple NCAAT bids. He's a very talented player.
Agree, but I was trying to speak it into existence for HU. :)
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Totally expected, especially given Speedy's recent comments, but still a bummer nonetheless

dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Dubar leaving sadly had to be expected. But if Dubar lands at St. John's that would still be a gut punch...

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 1365209394
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

We had Dubar AND Taylor and did we make the NCAA Tournament? Nope. New team next year. Maybe not the end of the world.
How many scholarships left for transfers in? Two, three, four?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

Tyler Thomas

Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

Starting five next season, thus far, minus future transfers in: JC, Plotnikov, Sunday, Parnell? Amir Williams. Off the bench: Decady, Robinson, Farmer. The rest of current roster may transfer out or are non-factors. we need another center and another shooting guard from the transfer portal.

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Couple of Siena players in the portal, include a former MAAC ROY:

https://www.dailygazette.com/sports/sie ... 77154.html
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:24 pm Dubar leaving sadly had to be expected. But if Dubar lands at St. John's that would still be a gut punch...

I just saw that earlier. It was a gut punch just reading it. Kind of glad HU lost the game at UBS now because it would be even more of a gut punch had HU beaten St. John's and he still went there (not that it's certain he will). He could also return to Iowa State, which of course, is one of the best teams in the nation now. Eh whatever, moving forward - let's see who HU can bring in and what the staff can do with a new team once it's assembled. We are only in the extremely early stages.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:53 pm
dutchPride86 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:24 pm Dubar leaving sadly had to be expected. But if Dubar lands at St. John's that would still be a gut punch...

I just saw that earlier. It was a gut punch just reading it. Kind of glad HU lost the game at UBS now because it would be even more of a gut punch had HU beaten St. John's and he still went there (not that it's certain he will). He could also return to Iowa State, which of course, is one of the best teams in the nation now. Eh whatever, moving forward - let's see who HU can bring in and what the staff can do with a new team once it's assembled. We are only in the extremely early stages.
I get what you both are saying - and a few years ago - I would have felt the same exact way.

Today - in this brave new world of open transfers - I don't feel that way.

First as far as DD goes - he did his time here - he competed and completed (although a CAA championship and trip to the "dance" would've made his career at HU "more" complete).

Why I feel different now???
one DD was almost 100% sure he was leaving - so where he went (other than another CAA team) I was OK with.
I think it is an unbelievable compliment to Speedy - his staff and Hofstra - to have DD be recruited by one of the best college coaches - Pitino - ever.
that goes for Estrada too - to be recruited by Alabama and Oates - show that Speedy and Staff - develop players into desired high major programs.
if I am the HU staff and out on the recruiting - transfer circuit - I am selling what HU does to develop and rehabilitate guys careers and give them the opportunity to PLAY and improve and reap the rewards of a final year and some big NIL money at the big major programs (I may not like it BUT it is what it is - we are going to make our bones being a feeder program to those big - deep pocketed schools)
we might not - going forward - be able to say we got sleepers (Jenkins/JWF) into the NBA - but we are going to say we get players into the next level of college basketball.

Now its the staffs job to get the next Estrada/Thomas/Dubar - and reestablish ourselves.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This is a huge blow to the team next year no matter how you slice it. Was hoping Speedy could convince him to lead the team next year like he did with Thomas.
If Dubar goes to St. John's that will be even worse as it will make us look like little brothers, even though we probably are.
Welcome to the shitty new world of college basketball. You need to recruit a whole new team every year, the NCAA destroyed the NIT, now it is even hurting their Golden Goose, the NCAA Touranment, while allowing the Portal to open up right at the beginning of March Madness.
What will they do next?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Derek Simpson from Rutgers their 6 foot two combo guard is in the transport portal
How about we go after him to replace Tyler Thomas
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:01 am This is a huge blow to the team next year no matter how you slice it. Was hoping Speedy could convince him to lead the team next year like he did with Thomas.
If Dubar goes to St. John's that will be even worse as it will make us look like little brothers, even though we probably are.
Welcome to the shitty new world of college basketball. You need to recruit a whole new team every year, the NCAA destroyed the NIT, now it is even hurting their Golden Goose, the NCAA Touranment, while allowing the Portal to open up right at the beginning of March Madness.
What will they do next?
So Hofstra is the JV along with a lot of other mid major schools for these P5 schools. Something totally wrong with that picture almost feels like small schools are getting bullied and their players are being poached without any kind of recourse. I can't believe that all of these smaller schools will just sit by complacently without trying to do something about this possibly legally.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:21 am Derek Simpson from Rutgers their 6 foot two combo guard is in the transport portal
How about we go after him to replace Tyler Thomas
I have to think there will be tons of players around that schools will be able to build a respectable roster with but it seemingly will be difficult to recruit players with solid resumes. Their first question might be how much NIL money are you offering.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

My gut is he doesn't go to SJ - There are bigger and better Schools out there that can pay him far more than SJ. Also don't forget he's not from here - maybe would like to be closer to home as well as taking the $$$