NCAA 2024 MBB Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: NCAA 2024 MBB Transfer Portal

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:48 pm soon if not already, the NCAA will be obsolete
The P5 schools can just break away and form their own organization
What will the NCAA do?
It’s all about money and nothing else
The big schools have the money
The NCAA is looking to get their fair cut
But it’s the schools that have the power
They can make their own deal with the TV networks
The NCAA signed a $920 million deal with ESPN in January to cover 40 different championships and that huge mega deal back in 2010 to show the NCAA tournament the way we see it now, on CBS and the three Turner channels, which ran through this year, was extended by another eight years, through 2032. So the NCAA won't magically disappear anytime soon. This is all still relatively new with a lot of parts to it. It will play out over years. We'll have to see how it all goes.
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

Wilmouth’s leaving is a good thing. He’s a walking medical emergency. He was never going to actually suit up for a game. Who’s giving him a scholarship?
JC transferring is a real loss, unfortunately. Very disappointed.
Anyway, that opens up at least five spots for transfers in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:23 pm When the NCAA opened the portal and allowed players to transfer without sitting out a year, loyalty went out the window. NIL only gave players another reason for leaving. So why have any rules at all re scholarships and academic eligibility? It is clearer more than ever that many, if not most, players don't care about getting an education if they can get paid instead.
Fans always make the mistake that the players they root for are as loyal to their team as they are. Players are mercenaries. They'll go where they get paid and where they can play, and if all goes perfectly, where they can also win. But they don't really care who it's for. They'll take the best deal -- financially and in other ways -- they can get. It's always been like that in the pros, it's just that now, with a freer environment for player movement and with NIL, free agency has now hit the college ranks too. Getting an education is secondary. They all want to play professionally even though most won't. And if not that, they'll hope that playing can lead to something else like coaching, broadcasting, or something else related to the sport they love. But that's what is. So as with the pros, college sports fans have to get used to simply rooting for the laundry.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

All so very damning and it sounds so selfish but it's everybody for themselves looking out for #1 attitude. It's very depressing just realizing what has happened with this NIL debacle. I never though that Carlos would jump ship but nothing is sacred anymore. I'm just naive and a eternal optimist. Welcome to the new world of college sports. I would love to hear the conversations that are going on with the HU coaches especially men's basketball. Major depressing!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:33 pm The ship be sinking. Image
All the ships be sinking!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This whole new world with the Portal and NIL is destroying college basketball as we know it. I'm a huge fan of the game and I loved watching us bring in young kids who developed into great players; i.e. Charles Jenkins, Justin Wright-Forman, etc.

That is all gone now and I'm beginning to lose my passion for the game and how it operates. I'm sure many feel the same way...very disappointing...hopefully something is done soon to correct this MESS.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Every time i review this board i get depressed. Totally expect to see Speedy in the portal as well.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:04 am This whole new world with the Portal and NIL is destroying college basketball as we know it. I'm a huge fan of the game and I loved watching us bring in young kids who developed into great players; i.e. Charles Jenkins, Justin Wright-Forman, etc.

That is all gone now and I'm beginning to lose my passion for the game and how it operates. I'm sure many feel the same way...very disappointing...hopefully something is done soon to correct this MESS.
wait till the gambling scandals hit
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mikey77 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:26 am Every time i review this board i get depressed. Totally expect to see Speedy in the portal as well.
That's sort of happening as well. As soon as FAU, JMU, Utah State lost in the NCAA tournament, the head coaches of those teams all very quickly got other gigs.

As fans, we act somehow as though players and coaches owe the teams we root for the same loyalty we have toward our teams but it never works that way. Players play, coaches coach. Just like we'd look for the best opportunities in our careers (whatever they are) that's what they're doing too. It sucks for fans (I hate it too), but their loyalty is never what fans' loyalty is. Players and coaches come and go, and they always seek out the best opportunities for themselves while fans remain loyal to the laundry.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:01 am
HUSID80 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:04 am This whole new world with the Portal and NIL is destroying college basketball as we know it. I'm a huge fan of the game and I loved watching us bring in young kids who developed into great players; i.e. Charles Jenkins, Justin Wright-Forman, etc.

Already happing in the NBA now.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:01 am

Already happing in the NBA now.
Rudy hasn’t played a game since he called out the refs. He’s been “Injured”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I see that Tomasco is now in the portal as of today. He got off the ship just in time but this doesn't come as any shock and it doesn't even create a ripple in the great scheme of things!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'll never say never after seeing Carlos leave but wonder if any of these other players that were actually seeing playing time might leave. When we saw Marshall leave when it seemed like it was his time to get serious playing time nothing is etched in stone.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I hate to have to use the word "rebuilding" since it has been so long since we had a team like this where there will be so many new faces. If nothing else it will be interesting to see a lot of new kids trying to hone their craft and hungry for playing time. Kids that will actually have a shot at getting on the court.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:18 am I hate to have to use the word "rebuilding" since it has been so long since we had a team like this where there will be so many new faces. If nothing else it will be interesting to see a lot of new kids trying to hone their craft and hungry for playing time. Kids that will actually have a shot at getting on the court.
Basically, every team is rebuilding every year in some capacity now, because as we just saw with Brzovic, even consecutive championships don't keep some of the best players on the best teams in a conference. It's like going to the park and continually throwing teams together on the fly for pickup games now, only in an organized fashion. But one key difference where even the park was better - the winners won't necessarily stay together!
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

Speedy’s biggest challenge as a coach coming up in the next month. He and his assistants have a good track record of finding solid players. They have six chances…so far…at the portal lottery. I think the odds are they find three or four gems to add to Plotnikov, Robinson, Farmer, Parnell, Sunday and their two solid freshmen recruits.

Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

Remember, even with Estrada, Dubar, Thomas and JC they didn’t make the NCAA tournament. Maybe Speedy makes lemons into lemonade. You never know.

HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Have to believe in Speedy and the staff. Texted him last night about the losses and he texted back, "All good."

Anxious to see how it pans out!
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm Have to believe in Speedy and the staff. Texted him last night about the losses and he texted back, "All good."

Anxious to see how it pans out!
Good to hear! The glass half full view of the current situation (though i dont think im here myself)... as great as all these kids were, they never even made the CAA title game with them. And if Speedy was able to land Estrada, Dubar and Thomas without proof of concept before, let's give him the benefit of the doubt on what he can land now.

I do wonder if Speedy believes that KJ, Parnell and Farmer will all be impact players, cause it's real hard to buy that off what we saw on the court last season
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Dubar looking at Arkansas, coach is a Speedy mentor.
https://www.si.com/college/arkansas/raz ... a-dubar-jd