NCAA 2024 MBB Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Mikey77

Re: NCAA 2024 MBB Transfer Portal

Post by Mikey77 »

Do all these departures dating back before NIL/Portal like Bethea, Cramer, Marshall, et al suggest something is not right at The Mack?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This Wilmouth kid is a joke...he took a free ride, rehabbed, traveled with us and what did we get in return? NOTHING!
Something is fishy with this one! Now watch, he'll be a double/double machine for Siena.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Maybe it's just a trade between schools Wilmoth for Durogordon? Lol
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I would agree with that trade.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Looks like Wilmouth is Gerry McNamara's first transfer. And maybe Durugordon will stay:

https://apnews.com/article/siena-gerry- ... 8beed85ca9

If McNamara is successful at Siena, he will move on to a bigger school in a couple of years.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Glenn Taylor, Jr. of St. John's is in the portal:

https://redstormsports.com/sports/mens- ... r-jr-/5108
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Great article in the NY Post telling the Estrada/Hofstra/Speedy story. It should be sent to EVERY Hofstra recruit!
Glad to see at least The Post is on it's game vs. SLEEPY NEWSDAY!

https://nypost.com/2024/04/03/sports/aa ... fstra-boon
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:14 am Great article in the NY Post telling the Estrada/Hofstra/Speedy story. It should be sent to EVERY Hofstra recruit!

This is what I mean when we all jump to conclusions sometimes and don't know the whole story behind the scenes, just like with the story about Speedy talking to Carlos and coaching him up after he noticed that Carlos wasn't getting shots up before the game at Campbell. So, we assume things...

We ask: How well is Speedy coaching? (well in that case, with that Campbell game, really well).
We assume: There must be something wrong at Hofstra if Speedy can't keep these guys - but then there is this, which I commend Speedy and his staff for, and which shows the family that Hofstra is, doing what's best for Estrada even though it would help him more than Hofstra:

“He honestly wanted to stay here, and we had to force him into the transfer portal. No, this is the better decision for you. It will put you and your family in a better position,” Claxton said. “It was hard, because if he came back, I might’ve had a top-25 team in the country. But at the end of the day, I have to do what’s in the best interest of these kids, not what’s in the best interest of myself.”

Claxton and his staff worked with Estrada to find the best fit, sitting in on phone calls with him and his suitors, and helping to set up visits. They thought Alabama made the most sense, because of the Crimson Tide’s up-tempo offensive attack, the freedom coach Nate Oats gave his guards and a need in the backcourt.
Last edited by Wags on Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hard to digest as fans that he forced Estrada out when he wanted to stay. But it's long term thinking for recruiting and it's the new reality with the NIL. Of course it may not always work out where the guy immediately gets to the final 4. But that's exposure Hofstra rarely gets - they mentioned the school every Alabama NCAA tournament game I watched.

JWF, Buie, and Pemberton will be the last all-league players that stay for 4 years that Hofstra will ever see. I'm assuming Speedy was at least supportive of Dubar and Carlos transferring as well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:40 am JWF, Buie, and Pemberton will be the last all-league players that stay for 4 years that Hofstra will ever see.
Unless Hofstra, as a feeder school over time, were to start making NCAA tourneys, would grow the program, and generate enough money to start keeping at least some future guys from transferring - maybe to a point where even if they could make even more NIL money elsewhere, they might still be able to make enough NIL money and enjoy the success (especially NCAAT success) at Hofstra, and enjoyed the family connection and other things that would go along with staying at Hofstra, to decide to stay. Not likely at the moment, but something that as this new NIL world develops in the years to come, isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
cactus wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:40 am I'm assuming Speedy was at least supportive of Dubar and Carlos transferring as well.
Considering how it went with Estrada, I bet he was. Dubar was expected by everyone here. Carlos came as a surprise to many and among those, the immediate reaction was: what's wrong with HU that they couldn't keep Carlos? And yet, maybe what we didn't know is that perhaps (like Estrada), wanted to stay until he possibly had conversations with Speedy and others to convince him to do what was best for his own future.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:14 am Great article in the NY Post telling the Estrada/Hofstra/Speedy story. It should be sent to EVERY Hofstra recruit!

Great post HUSID very eye opening. Thanks for posting it.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

This only works when a Coach has job security and no aspirations to better himself. ( Speedy) Unfortunately us fans who spend our time and money supporting the program are the ones who lose out.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:51 am Considering how it went with Estrada, I bet he was. Dubar was expected by everyone here. Carlos came as a surprise to many and among those, the immediate reaction was: what's wrong with HU that they couldn't keep Carlos? And yet, maybe what we didn't know is that perhaps (like Estrada), wanted to stay until he possibly had conversations with Speedy and others to convince him to do what was best for his own future.
Totally reasonable reaction as a fan, though. (Like you, I was a bit irked by Carlos's "elated" comment when entering the portal, but now it makes more sense). I can imagine many will have a very tough time with all this, but we really have to change our perspective and expectations. As it stands, Hofstra is now just a feeder program for high majors. Anyone capable of making an all-league team (top 3, defensive, etc.) is probably going to leave, with support and encouragement from the staff to do so. NCAA tournament appearances from winning a severely depleted conference would still be fun, but to have everything come together with underclassmen and transfers, the chance of a Mason/VCU type run is essentially 0, and with chatter about eliminating auto bids, might actually be 0 soon.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am This only works when a Coach has job security and no aspirations to better himself. ( Speedy) Unfortunately us fans who spend our time and money supporting the program are the ones who lose out.
That's why it MAY work longer-term because although there's no guarantee Speedy wouldn't move on if that success would could, his situation currently seems to fit those two things - he seems to have job security and is "home" at HU, so maybe wouldn't want to leave should that success come. For now, let the success come first. Still much work to do for that in terms of that path: becoming a strong feeder school off of a case like Estrada's, growing that into NCAAT success, growing that into NIL success for Hofstra to keep some players, etc., etc. down the line.

For that matter, they should not only (and I am pretty sure they are) leverage Estrada's Final Four trip (along with the story that goes with that of him personally helping his mom and others financially - because that will matter a lot to transfers and potential recruits), but they should also leverage Tyler Thomas playing in the All-Star Game on the same floor the day before (heck, leverage whatever you can - even leverage JWF and the CAA team winning the 3 x 3 tournament at the Final Four a few years ago, if it matters to anyone).

But IF (yes, big if at this current moment) that does work longer-term, the fans spending their time and money (as you say) will be along for the ride rather than losing out over time.
Last edited by Wags on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:23 am
Wags wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:51 am Considering how it went with Estrada, I bet he was. Dubar was expected by everyone here. Carlos came as a surprise to many and among those, the immediate reaction was: what's wrong with HU that they couldn't keep Carlos? And yet, maybe what we didn't know is that perhaps (like Estrada), wanted to stay until he possibly had conversations with Speedy and others to convince him to do what was best for his own future.
Totally reasonable reaction as a fan, though. (Like you, I was a bit irked by Carlos's "elated" comment when entering the portal, but now it makes more sense). I can imagine many will have a very tough time with all this, but we really have to change our perspective and expectations. As it stands, Hofstra is now just a feeder program for high majors. Anyone capable of making an all-league team (top 3, defensive, etc.) is probably going to leave, with support and encouragement from the staff to do so. NCAA tournament appearances from winning a severely depleted conference would still be fun, but to have everything come together with underclassmen and transfers, the chance of a Mason/VCU type run is essentially 0, and with chatter about eliminating auto bids, might actually be 0 soon.
Yes, for sure. Very reasonable reaction. But as you say, we need to adjust because this is the new world now.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Wags wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:03 pm
ZMAN3 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am This only works when a Coach has job security and no aspirations to better himself. ( Speedy) Unfortunately us fans who spend our time and money supporting the program are the ones who lose out.
That's why it MAY work longer-term because although there's no guarantee Speedy wouldn't move on if that success would could, his situation currently seems to fit those two things - he seems to have job security and is "home" at HU, so maybe wouldn't want to leave should that success come. For now, let the success come first. Still much work to do for that in terms of that path: becoming a strong feeder school off of a case like Estrada's, growing that into NCAAT success, growing that into NIL success for Hofstra to keep some players, etc., etc. down the line.

For that matter, they should not only (and I am pretty sure they are) leverage Estrada's Final Four trip (along with the story that goes with that of him personally helping his mom and others financially - because that will matter a lot to transfers and potential recruits), but they should also leverage Tyler Thomas playing in the All-Star Game on the same floor the day before (heck, leverage whatever you can - even leverage JWF and the CAA team winning the 3 x 3 tournament at the Final Four a few years ago, if it matters to anyone).

But IF (yes, big if at this current moment) that does work longer-term, the fans spending their time and money (as you say) will be along for the ride rather than losing out over time.

I think you're dreaming
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Very conflicted on the Speedy Estrada stuff. I do totally understand that going in the portal from our level needs to be viewed in same lens as going pro for 1 and done kids at the power schools, but knowing they could have brought him back... damn.

Meanwhile Chris Mack already getting to work, got Brzovic to do the exact opposite and stay at Charleston. If anyone is thinking there will be any drop off there, even for next year, think again.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Any idea how much Estrada is receiving at UA? I've heard at least $500,000, but have not been able to verify.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:27 pm
Wags wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:03 pm

I think you're dreaming
Possible, but in this new NIL world, is there another path to grow the program over time?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:Yes, for sure. Very reasonable reaction. But as you say, we need to adjust because this is the new world now.
I don't envy the ticket office having to sell the hope of being one of the better feeder schools that still (for now) has a chance at an auto-bid to the NCAA tournament just to get smacked in the mouth by a team they can't compete with because their best players transferred out.