CAAT Monday, March 11 - Semifinals

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: CAAT Monday, March 11 - Semifinals

Post by Dooku25 »

Where was the hunger tonight? I've been watching this team for 25 years, this was the worst game/effort I have ever seen. 1 win away from the championship game and they played like it was October. No sense of urgency, no energy, absolutely embarrassing. And honestly, I am being kind. Speedy, this is Hofstra basketball??? What exactly was the strategy tonight? You are playing an opponent coming off double OT and 3rd game in 3 days and we played a slow half court offense with no pace. Everybody just standing around. Absolutely brutal. This was the most unacceptable loss in 25 years. Congrats to SB, they clearly wanted it more while we were just going through the motions, getting killed on the glass and getting outhustled by a team that we should have had a rest advantage over. Seat is getting hot Speedy, you better bring in some 4 star recruits to make up for the poor coaching, I'm sorry to say.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Grotesque performance. What a loser effort today. Dang
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

How do you let Fritz play 26 minutes in that game? He played so poorly right from the first possession, Stony Brook's MVP. He's been pretty bad all year, but this was objectively a better matchup for Sunday, and our defense was significantly more effective with him on the court. How do you not make a strategic change during halftime.

The team had a great year, but Stony Brook sucks, and they were playing their 3rd game in 3 nights. There were no adjustments from us in the 2nd half. But credit to them, they outplayed and outcoached us by a wide margin tonight.

I'll eventually get over this one, but the sting of this loss will last for a long time.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dubar - 6 shots. 5 points. That's it, that's the game. I was saying at halftime, when he had all of 2 pts, that if he had 12-14 pts in the second half, they win. And they would have. He hit a 3, but that was it. Not another bucket from him in the second half, only one in the first half.

Credit to Stony Brook for some of that, but a lot of it was just what I feared all season: when Dubar stands and watches the Tyler Thomas show and doesn't involve himself or they don't actively involve him, they lose (like tonight). But even when Thomas does something like his 6/22 last night, they win and win comfortably as Dubar was leading the way with Carlos involved and everyone playing team ball. I think they may have been better off with Drexel tonight. The same great energy they showed yesterday was not there tonight and I have to wonder if they didn't fully respect Stony Brook, which I can't imagine why they wouldn't knowing how tough it was to beat them twice this year. So disappointing. They should be playing tomorrow night. I still believe they're better than Stony Brook but they didn't do what they needed to in order to be better than Stony Brook tonight. And that's a frustrating way to go out. But the most disappointing and frustrating thing about the way the lost - far more than the loss itself - is that this was the type of loss that sometimes and that you learn from (say, like the Campbell or Northeastern losses) to help you for March 11. You're not actually supposed to have THAT type of loss ON March 11. That is the most disappointing thing. They were supposed to have grown from that specifically for this moment and it's the same old things that came back to bite them and end their season. Anyway, it was still another fun season overall but that is an annoying way to go out.
Last edited by Wags on Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Outrebounded by 15. 15!

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Every 5 years the football Giants lose a generational talent and Hofstra loses in the CAA tournament
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:46 am Outrebounded by 15. 15!
It was 12 (42-30), but same point. And who led Stony Brook in that department? The same 6-3 guard who led them with 23 points. Wasn't bad enough that he did that damage but then he also, at his size, grabbed a team-high 9 rebounds.They wanted it more. That should NEVER, EVER happen in a game of that magnitude. It was March 11 and the approach was like Nov. 11 or Dec. 11. That's why, again, I think Drexel would've been better for them. They would have been more focused with them. They came out flat and never got out of that. I think there was a bit of taking Stony Brook for granted. And standing around watching Thomas only exacerbates that. Also, the outcome could have been different if they didn't blow three easy layups all alone in the first half. The focus was just not there tonight, which is really puzzling with so much at stake. And there didn't seem to be any calling timeout, laying into them and snapping them out of that, lighting a fire. It was just a very strange going through the motions kind of night one step from the finals. I don't get it. The prior night was so different. I don't understand why that same approach at least mentally didn't seem to carry over the next night. This one is going to sting.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Wags wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:57 am . Also, the outcome could have been different if they didn't blow three easy layups all alone in the first half. The focus was just not there tonight, which is really puzzling with so much at stake.

This 100%. The game was essentially over a minute in - Maidoh bullies Fritz for 2 and German blows an EASY layup. Tone set right there.

So the question becomes, why have Speedy's teams fallen flat on their face all 3 years in DC? If Speedy can't figure that out, it won't matter who stays, who leaves, or who they find in the portal for next season
Wags

Post by Wags »

After the three missed layups in the first half, they missed six more in the second half. This outcome didn't have to be what it was.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

If we had to lose to someone clearly it was not this other Long Island team. Disgusting! Anyone else and losing to a team we owned.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Couldn't find the post game press conference, Hofstra hasn't posted it. I found a small article with some quotes. Seems like Speedy is satisfied with their level of compete. Gave great effort, battled to the end, etc. Really? SB went on a 13-0 in the last 5 minutes of the game. I'm not counting the points scored in the last 20 seconds as the outcome had been already decided, that's garbage time. I'm not sure what I am more surprised with, the way the team played last night or the coach's view on how they played. This loss should be unacceptable to all who are involved with this program. UNACCEPTABLE. SB doubled Dubar all night, they had a coach with a plan. What did we do to combat that?? I always thought Speedy was tough on his guys watching him on the sidelines, but man come back to reality here. We are satisfied losing to a lower seed for the 3rd year in a row? The great February record means nothing if you come up small in March year after year. But hey Speedy is proud of his guys, "hats off to SB they really earned it." Take a look at Rick Pitino's quotes after the loss to Seton Hall. He ripped his team, and frankly he was just being honest. And they have gone UNDEFEATED since. But Speedy is accepting bouquets after this performance. Give me a break!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:18 am Couldn't find the post game press conference, Hofstra hasn't posted it. I found a small article with some quotes. Seems like Speedy is satisfied with their level of compete. Gave great effort, battled to the end, etc. Really? SB went on a 13-0 in the last 5 minutes of the game. I'm not counting the points scored in the last 20 seconds as the outcome had been already decided, that's garbage time. I'm not sure what I am more surprised with, the way the team played last night or the coach's view on how they played. This loss should be unacceptable to all who are involved with this program. UNACCEPTABLE. SB doubled Dubar all night, they had a coach with a plan. What did we do to combat that?? I always thought Speedy was tough on his guys watching him on the sidelines, but man come back to reality here. We are satisfied losing to a lower seed for the 3rd year in a row? The great February record means nothing if you come up small in March year after year. But hey Speedy is proud of his guys, "hats off to SB they really earned it." Take a look at Rick Pitino's quotes after the loss to Seton Hall. He ripped his team, and frankly he was just being honest. And they have gone UNDEFEATED since. But Speedy is accepting bouquets after this performance. Give me a break!
All of the tourney pressers are here:
https://caasports.com/tournaments/?id=212
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Thanks Wags, just watched and it gives a different vibe than the article I read from daily dose of hoops which basically gave HU credit for their effort as if SB played such an unbelievable game and we just came up short. Speedy was clearly dejected in the presser as we all are. But I have an issue with him saying it wasn't really what SB did on Dubar, he just had an off night. That is not true, they were doubling him. I'm concerned with the in game coaching of this staff. They do not make adjustments when things aren't going well. Clearly they should have realized what SB was doing to Dubar and changed strategy in game. They did not. It was just more of the same give the ball to Tyler and watch him shoot. In my view this was an ugly game and Hofstra didn't want it, they let SB have it. Hate to see this program lose to teams they should beat. It needs to change. I thought Speedy was serious about getting Hofstra to the NCAA tournament. He's 0 for 3 and hasn't exactly had the hardest paths to get there.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:33 am Thanks Wags, just watched and it gives a different vibe than the article I read from daily dose of hoops which basically gave HU credit for their effort as if SB played such an unbelievable game and we just came up short. Speedy was clearly dejected in the presser as we all are. But I have an issue with him saying it wasn't really what SB did on Dubar, he just had an off night. That is not true, they were doubling him. I'm concerned with the in game coaching of this staff. They do not make adjustments when things aren't going well. Clearly they should have realized what SB was doing to Dubar and changed strategy in game. They did not. It was just more of the same give the ball to Tyler and watch him shoot. In my view this was an ugly game and Hofstra didn't want it, they let SB have it. Hate to see this program lose to teams they should beat. It needs to change. I thought Speedy was serious about getting Hofstra to the NCAA tournament. He's 0 for 3 and hasn't exactly had the hardest paths to get there.
Listen to Geno's presser as well. Geno loves Dubar, he thought Dubar should have been First Team, not Second Team. I asked Geno and Speedy about Dubar because in those pressers because to me, that was the game more than anything else: Dubar, 5 pts, 6 shots. They gave up 63 (and under 40%), which was in line with what they normally do, but they only scored 59 with Thomas getting 32 and Carlos 13... because no one else scored! That's it, that's where they lost. If Dubar has even 12 shots and 15 pts (let alone the 30 he had on 14 shots at Stony Brook) they win.

Geno told me how they were doubling Dubar, forcing him to pass it, and on the perimeter, pressuring him, and making him drive.
Speedy gives me: It was really nothing Stony Brook did, just an off night. I was thinking, were we watching the same game? I love Speedy, I hope he ultimately takes them to 10 NCAA tournaments, but come on, off night? 5/18 is an off night. 2/6 is not involved enough to even have an off night.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:33 am Thanks Wags, just watched and it gives a different vibe than the article I read from daily dose of hoops which basically gave HU credit for their effort as if SB played such an unbelievable game and we just came up short. Speedy was clearly dejected in the presser as we all are. But I have an issue with him saying it wasn't really what SB did on Dubar, he just had an off night. That is not true, they were doubling him. I'm concerned with the in game coaching of this staff. They do not make adjustments when things aren't going well. Clearly they should have realized what SB was doing to Dubar and changed strategy in game. They did not. It was just more of the same give the ball to Tyler and watch him shoot. In my view this was an ugly game and Hofstra didn't want it, they let SB have it. Hate to see this program lose to teams they should beat. It needs to change. I thought Speedy was serious about getting Hofstra to the NCAA tournament. He's 0 for 3 and hasn't exactly had the hardest paths to get there.
Yeah, this was the wrong game to say, great fight, just came up short, too bad... that's for Stony Brook to say tonight against Charleston if they come up short, or it would have been for Hofstra to say if the same tonight. But when you are the 3 seed and you're playing the 7, when they were coming off 2 OTs and and extra game? That's not: great fight, just a bit short, that's: how did they let that happen? N ot every loss deserves the same reaction, and if you keep having the same reaction, you don't make the necessary adjustments and improvements to move past the same level that you can't get past each year. Last year, it was: this was disappointing but we lost in the quarters, this year we got to the semis (vs. UNCW), next year, another step... but next year was now and it was the same step. So, what then?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

here is my take on the reaction after the game
Comparing it to Rick Pitino
There is at least a 25 year difference in age between the two coaches
Rick from another generation
He shoots from the hip and the peoples feelings are hurt, so be it sometimes the truth hurts
Speedy who is a millennial was probably raised not to hurt peoples feelings so the players today are a little bit sensitive
Speedy a newbie in coaching this being his third year. This is not an excuse, but probably an explanation as to his reaction after the game.
Yeah, my opinion is if he’s too tough on the players, he may lose them next year as they will seek to transfer out
Me I am the same age as Rick Pitino
I want hardened players
And Polito I want players with a little dog in them
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hate to blame Thomas for this because he was otherwise 6/6 at the line, and he had a bad ankle at the time, but that missed FT at 61-56 with :15.5 left. It turned out that Stony Brook likewise missed 1 of 2 after that, and instead of Hofstra ball and game over, down 63-59, with about :05 left, it could have been 63-60, with :05 left and Hofstra looking for a 3 to force OT. Not to blame him, but didn't see anyone mentioning it anywhere and that's another "what could have been" thing.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Norhing much to add that hasn't been already said but extremely disappointed in the team's and coachs' performance tonight and against the worst possible oppoent.

Only hope is that they are seething and will use it as motivation going forward.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

So because I'm a glutton for punishment I went back through the box scores of Hofstras recent CAA tourney failures today, and this is what stands out to me:

- '24 Stony: Thomas takes 27 of 57 shots (Dubar 6). Outrebounded by 12.
- '23 Uncw: Estrada takes 20 of 58 shots (Dubar 6). Outrebounded by 12.
- '22 Charleston: They didn't show up for this one. But outrebounded by 14
- '19 Northeastern: JWF takes 22 of 59 shots

Compare that to the title game in '20: +12 on the boards. All 5 starters took b/w 7-17 shots (you know we didn't even have a single shot attempt off the bench that game?! Lol)

Numbers don't lie. Hofstra's 4 out, star guard plays hero system can win lots of regular season games in this league. But until they get serious about finding an elite big for this level and running a more balanced offense, fear this will continue to happen again and again
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Good points, 86. A productive center would help immeasurably.

I'll say this in Dubar's defense: without him, we may not have made it out of the quarterfinal round this year. His upside is tantalizingly great, but he is sooooo inconsistent