MBB Game 31 @Charleston, March 2 (Sat), 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 31 @Charleston, March 2 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

Our last regular-season game of 2023-24. Where did those four months go?

As of today (Thursday afternoon), we are in the top four, according to the CAA:

1. Charleston
2. UNCW
3. Drexel
4. Hofstra

We beat Drexel. Shouldn't we be #3?

https://caasports.com/standings.aspx?standings=207
EvanJ

Re: MBB Game 31 @Charleston, March 2 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by EvanJ »

In the tie for second, head-to-head is useless because we split with Drexel, who split with UNCW, and we haven't played UNCW. Then go to record against Charleston. UNCW is 2-0, while Drexel and us are 0-1. That gives UNCW second. Then look at record against fifth place Towson. We are 1-0, and Drexel is 0-1, so that makes us third. Standings may not be using the tiebreakers. If we beat UNCW, we will have the tiebreaker over them (head-to-head) and Drexel (head-to-head split, we will have the same or a better record against Charleston, and a better record against UNCW).
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks, Evan. I forgot we played Drexel twice.

Keeping these links handy:

CAAT

https://caasports.com/tournaments/?id=212

Tiebreakers

https://caasports.com/sports/2022/2/25/ ... 23020.aspx
Polito

Post by Polito »

The finale... CAA couldn't ask for better to end the regular season. A clash of titans. HU in great position to play loose and have fun.

Expecting a war. As they said in the epic "Glory", give em hell!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Again, you can use this to see the tiebreakers both currently and for whichever outcomes you choose:
https://bball.notnothing.net/caa.php?sport=mbb

Speedy keeps telling the team to be 'greedy,' so I think they'll be just as serious about trying to win this one as winning in Wilmington. In terms of going all out for a win, this should be the easier of the two even though the opponent is tougher. For UNCW, they had to leave something in the tank for Saturday less than 48 hours later. But knowing they have that win in the bank and eight days off after Saturday, there's every reason to go leave it all out on the floor to try to send a message and keep the confidence and momentum going.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I think after we lost to them at home we have a score to settle here and we beat them last year with their top 20 ranking on their floor. Maybe a preview of The CAA championship game. I think we go all out to win this but what will be COC mindset??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:09 am Again, you can use this to see the tiebreakers both currently and for whichever outcomes you choose:
https://bball.notnothing.net/caa.php?sport=mbb
I like that website because the six games other than Hampton at William & Mary for last have 2^6 = 64 scenarios, including ties, so I was not going to do that by hand. After the 2:00 P.M. games end and there are three 4:00 P.M. games left, it will be possible to do use that website for the eight scenarios and know what to root for.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2024/3/1/men ... inale.aspx is titled "Pride And Cougars Battle In Regular Season Finale."

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/side ... game31.pdf is our Game Notes.

https://cofcsports.com/sports/mens-bask ... individual has Charleston's statistics. They have 16 players who played in at least 4 games, and 12 players who played in at least 18 games, which is tied for the fourth most players on any team. Alabama A&M, Army, and Pacific have 13 players with at least 18 games. Cal State Bakersfield, California-Irvine, Charleston, Florida International, Florida State, Maryland-Eastern Shore, Mississippi Valley State, Samford, South Carolina State, Southern, St. John's, Stephen F. Austin, Texas A&M-Commerce, Texas Southern, and Vanderbilt have 12 players with at least 18 games. The average team has exactly 9.5 players with at least 18 games.

Charleston won their first outright regular season titled since 2003.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:20 pm I think after we lost to them at home we have a score to settle here and we beat them last year with their top 20 ranking on their floor. Maybe a preview of The CAA championship game. I think we go all out to win this but what will be COC mindset??
This is their Senior Day and like Hofstra, they won't play again for another eight days. Plus, I'm sure they'd like to take a long winning streak into the tourney and send a message to (as you said) what could be a potential CAA finals opponent and not want to give Hofstra any confidence in that regard. They're also probably still a little ticked that Hofstra ended their 20-game winning streak on the same floor last year. So, for all of those reasons and more, I think Charleston's mindset will be to pretty much go all out. I think both teams will battle as if it's a very big regular season game for both.

It'll be interesting to see which may win out (and if that's a portent of things to come in D.C.) with Charleston's offense rolling (80.5 ppg), matching a season-high of 96 last night, against Hofstra's stingy defense, which has allowed just has allowed 58.9 ppg over its last seven wins.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:21 pm Charleston won their first outright regular season titled since 2003.
More than a decade before they joined the CAA.

It's also the league's first outright regular season champion in four years (when Hofstra won the CAA regular season and tourney titles).
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep I fully expect CofC to bring the kitchen sink in this game. It's the final game, home game, senior day, and would put the period onto their strong regular season. It's interesting, this isn't a must win for either actually. But I fully believe both want to win it badly. I expect HU to bring all they have as well. No ones laying down in what is essentially the game of the conference heading into March.

This is going to be an extremely difficult game. CofC is a good team and well-coached. Top dogs until someone unseats them. HU can, but I'm not sure it will be in this game. Keep this thing close and anything can happen.

They can flat out score, and have some talented deep threats. O doesn't always show up though, so this will be a real opportunity for HU to show they are correctly laser focused on lock down D. That's what will win or lose for this team. May not shut them down, but limit them and control the flow and it's anyone's game.

Place will be rocking - I'm very glad this isn't a night game. Their fans and students actually show up. They'll be loud and proud. BUT this isn't anything HU isn't used to or can't handle - and they've navigated it before.

If HU shows they are locked in, show out on D, and play a strong overall game, win or lose, it will feel good going into the CAAT. If CofC manages to rock them, then confidence in getting the job done will take a hit. This is the game you want to be in - and it's MARCH - time to peak.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

So ESPN has us as 5.5 point underdogs and gives us a 35.2% chance of winning.
Guess they weren't impressed with our win vs UNCW!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We're 9 spots worse in the NET, 9 spots worse in the RPI, and 10 spots worse in KenPom. Including 3 points for home court, a 5.5 point underdog is fair. It's not like Charleston was bad on Thursday when they had an easy game and played like it in a 96-73 win.

https://cofcsports.com/news/2024/3/1/me ... r-day.aspx is Charleston's preview titled "Men's Basketball Welcomes Hofstra for Senior Day."

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/side ... stra_2.pdf is Charleston's Game Notes. They are 8-2 in white jerseys, 6-2 in black jerseys, 6-2 in maroon jerseys, and 3-1 in cream jerseys. Have you ever seen a team give their record by jersey color?

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=483824 will have statistics.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

"Jake-O" Fritz, Carlos first name spelled wrong on the lineups, and not using the primary Hofstra logo. Not exactly an A10 quality broadcast here Charleston

Edit - Look at that they actually fixed the logo

Edit 2 - Just admitting they have no idea what the tiebreaker scenarios are over the standings graphic. How about try doing 5 mins of research before going on air?
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Charleston is good... they're big, deep, physical, and move and cut off the ball better than any team in the league.

But Hofstra not doing itself any favors. Way too many unforced turnovers, and too much doubling off quality 3pt shooters leading to open 3s. And gotta get something on the offensive end out of German or Bryce, can't win if both playing that poorly on that end.

Tough half, but not out of it yet
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This COC team has too many O options very tough to contain them especially when no bench relief. They run us ragged with a lot of motion plays. We're down 45-36 and honestly I thought we played pretty well. They hit tough shots got some easy baskets off of our miscues. Brzovic a handful has 13 points and even hit a three. He causes matchup problems. Dubar 13, Thomas 10 and Carlos 9 who's really playing well.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'll mention that Fritz also missed two free throws just need every point we can get. We need to play tighter D and stop doubling the ball leaving good open three looks.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I wonder what anyone who is watching this game thought about the foul called on Plotnikov on Policelli shooting a three. Claxton went beserk thought he was going to be T up. Look like a real academy award performance from Policelli.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

triplec2195 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:04 pm I wonder what anyone who is watching this game thought about the foul called on Plotnikov on Policelli shooting a three. Claxton went beserk thought he was going to be T up. Look like a real academy award performance from Policelli.
Was glad Speedy got the tech there. Those first couple mins felt like we were gonna be playing 5 on 8 today
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Frustrating game to watch we start to close the gap a bit they take a bad three then kill us on the O boards with a tap in off a bad shot.