MBB Game 31 @Charleston, March 2 (Sat), 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchPride86

Re: MBB Game 31 @Charleston, March 2 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by dutchPride86 »

triplec2195 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:39 pm Frustrating game to watch we start to close the gap a bit they take a bad three then kill us on the O boards with a tap in off a bad shot.
Wonder how much fatigue kicking in with some of these bad bounce offensive boards Charleston getting off missed 3s this half
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Jacco has gotten embarrassed today, if we had a competent big we would have won this one.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Our starters are definitely dragging. Don't blame them.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Full credit to Charleston. They are absolutely the best team in the conference and a clear favorite in DC. But I don't come out of this game feeling defeated like they're unbeatable

Does Hofstra have a lot to correct off this game? Sure. But I've been far more disappointed by how they played in 75% of their wins in conference than in how they played today.

Hofstra had 1 job this road trip and they accomplished it. The reward is a double bye and a Delaware/Drexel path to the champ game, while Charleston and uncw/towson bloody each other on the side of the bracket. I'll take my chances with that, and if we're fortunate enough to get a 3rd crack at Charleston in the title game we know where things have to be cleaned up

But if you've been watching all year, confidence should not be shot and expectations should not dramatically change off what we saw today
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not the peformance we needed to see today. I'm sure some will disagree but I didn't find this game competitive at all. CofC is clearly better, and they've proven it without a doubt in both games.

Did not expect HU to win, not about the loss. But they needed to show they could easily win next time, and they simply haven't shown that. You can see a very clear difference. CofC is better coached, has better talent, is better at ball movement, is more physical, so on and so forth. And they have better NIL and fan support. Not a great combo for HU or the rest of the CAA.

Not all on Jacco at all, team loss even with some solid individual games - but that doesn't win. This guy can't hit a FT so all his great foul drawing is useless. For the life of me I can't grasp German's usage and lack thereof. HU's strong D completely evaporated - that's not going to get it done. Charleston is an offensive machine that makes HU's claims of being such good shooters look totally ridiculous.

HU is close - not a terrible team in the end, but far from a great one - and as I said months ago, I still don't see a champion. People will make it seem like this game isn't a big deal, but the reality is Charleston just showed HU and the league they're #1 and there is no doubt.

HU could still find a miracle, BUT it will need to depend on someone else pulling off an upset in the CAAT. Although it is very hard to beat the same team 3 times - that could def help HU.

I didn't see anything today that screamed HU can do this - quite the opposite. I think CofC is the best, and kudos to them. They'll be the better rep for the CAA in the dance if they finish the job next week. Still a thread of chance, even though the odds are fully against it - if they can find themselves a way to the champ game, they'll have a shot. But they have to get there first.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

My dad thought that we could use subs because it is a meaningless game. I said that we don't use subs. The bench played 15 minutes, and Robinson's 2 free throws because Charleston fouled to make substitutions were our only bench points. Fritz made more free throws than Charleston attempted. Reyne Smith made 16 threes this week.
Last edited by EvanJ on Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I agree dutchPride I think without a doubt COC the best team in this league just too much talent up and down. Yeah if we had someone who could contain Brzovic then we could play one on one with the other 4 but a lot of talent off the bench with guys that can score. 0 points from our bench until we get a charity foul that put Robinson on the foul line so 2 point contribution from our bench. We get out rebounded 35-25 and they get 16 second chance points to our 5. Also 17 points off our turnovers. They hit 15 three's to our 9. We actually picked up 17 points from the FT line to their 6 which helped to keep the score somewhat close. A miracle.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Need some rest and absolutely need to find
Heavy minutes from the bench in our first game of tournament. Need Farmer, Washington, Robinson and Sunday to show up to give us a shot at beating Charleston. I think it’s doable, but not if we only go 7 deep up to the ship. Do that and it’s business as usual - no legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Lets be realistic though in order to prove we can beat COC in a third matchup we first need to get there. Lets take one step at a time that road isn't a gimme.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:Lets be realistic though in order to prove we can beat COC in a third matchup we first need to get there. Lets take one step at a time that road isn't a gimme.
Ain’t that the truth. When did we get bounced game one for us - wasn’t that year one under speedy?

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The last time we went to the CAA finals was in 2020 when we won it and punched our ticket. The rest of that story we all know no sense rehashing it right now.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:The last time we went to the CAA finals was in 2020 when we won it and punched our ticket. The rest of that story we all know no sense rehashing it right now.
No, not finals… I know that better than most. I graduated in 2001 and have missed a total of 10 games at most… and that’s living halfway across country. I was asking about our one and done. The game we were bounced right away. I think that was year one under speedy. I’ll go check.

Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

It was. I believe it was against Charleston too if I remember correctly

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

To show how little we used our bench, of the six CAA teams that played at the same time, the five players with the most minutes were on us. Charleston, William & Mary, Hampton, UNCW, and Towson had all of their players play less than Plotnikov. Towson at UNCW did not end until. There was a long review with 22 seconds left that included Towson's Charles Thompson being ejected for headbutting. Thompson led all players with 17 points and 14 rebounds. UNCW's Shykeim Phillips dunked with 0.3 seconds left to win 75-64, which Towson could look at as bad sportsmanship, albeit it was his last home game in five seasons unless UNCW hosts a postseason game. UNCW's Trazarien White scored 16 by shooting field goals 3-14 and free throws 10-11. He had only 4 rebounds, and had 4 turnovers. If Drexel wins today, and Towson beats the 12 or 13 seed, Towson and UNCW will meet again in the Quarterfinals.

William & Mary ended their losing streak with a 85-73 win hosting Hampton, whose late wins were not enough to avoid finishing last.

Elon led 3-0, Monmouth led 10-3, Elon went up 15, and Monmouth went up 18 and won 85-70. Monmouth's Xander Rice and Elon's TK Simpkins scored 31. Simpkins had the better game with 10-16 shooting, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Pride97 wrote:It was. I believe it was against Charleston too if I remember correctly

Thx 97! I think you’re right.

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So UNCW beat Towson and Drexel is leading Northeastern. Let’s assume Drexel wins. Are we in or out of the top four?

Polito

Post by Polito »

The lack of bench player development has been one of my major gripes this year. I stand by it, the staff has done a poor job there.

It's not impossible, but it will take a small miracle for this team or any other in the CAA to cut nuts over the Cougars. As I've said I'm shocked this group still managed to snag a top 4 seed - credit to them on that. But the CAAT odds are not very exciting to say the least.

Kelsey is a helluva coach - what an awesome hire as said by many at the time - he's built a VERY impressive program in the same timeframe Speedy has had to build his. HU has become a consistently good program, easily one of the top 3 in the CAA. Better place to be than most. It's just that HU has gone a bit stagnant, plateaued at that level. Whereas CofC has elevated, and quickly. HU desperately needs a true dance appearance. Always the bridesmaid and never the bride is getting very very old.

And yep it sucks they qualified but didn't get to go - but that's the reality. What actually sucks is that's HU's only qualification in 23 friggin years.

Hope HU has a better offseason plan than this past one, or it's going to be a long painful experience until Kelsey's gone.

For now, if HU can somehow get to the champ game, even with an L there, I would consider that somewhat of a "success" simply because even with some minor improvement of late I still don't think this team is very good this year. Even though I absolutely LOATHE the yearly failure when it matters most, I don't think this is a champion group so that would still be positive enough for HU to build on and sell going into next year.

Get bounced early and that will be a black eye. We don't need anymore indication that things are stale / not going in the right direction. They've GOT to at least show HU is right there knocking on the door, even in an off year - that will give some much needed life and momentum for next season.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Jojogunne wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:46 pm So UNCW beat Towson and Drexel is leading Northeastern. Let’s assume Drexel wins. Are we in or out of the top four?

We clinched a top 3 spot on Thurs by beating UNCW. Drexel winning will give them the 2 and us the 3, which I think is best case scenario as we'd be on track to face Delaware in a 3-6. I'd honestly rather see them then Monmouth or Stony (who will be the 7 and 8 in some order). And obviously UNCW/Towson and Charleston land on the other side of the bracket would only see 1 of those teams max and it would be in the title game
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Here's the bracket, we will play at 8:30 in the late game Sunday night

https://x.com/CAABasketball/status/1764 ... 68338?s=20
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Unimpressive performance, especially defensively and on the glass

Silver lining is Carlos is finally being more aggressive

They have what I would say is the ideal draw in the tournament which they earned with their play in February