NILLY

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

NILLY

Post by Wags »

This could become a big factor in college sports going forward - Kendrick Perkins will be an ambassador for NILLY, a new NIL investment platform that was launched today:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 65426.html
Last edited by Wags on Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Re: NILLY

Post by triplec2195 »

That link didn't work but this NIL nightmare is going to be the death of all mid major sports! The have and the have nots!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:32 pm That link didn't work but this NIL nightmare is going to be the death of all mid major sports! The have and the have nots!!
Fixed the link above, it seems to work now.

This new platform will potentially give the public an opportunity to invest in college athletes and teams like investing in the stock market.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Nilly
For a second I thought you were talking about a rapper
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:37 pm Nilly
For a second I thought you were talking about a rapper
:lol: That's Nelly. I thought of that too when I saw this name for the platform. Just a guess but I was already thinking that's why they chose that name - something to start with NIL and to sound similar to something that a lot of college athletes could relate to so the platform name would catch on easily.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I will give NIL to NILLY...just hoping this whole NIL thing is a bad dream and will go away.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:54 am I will give NIL to NILLY...just hoping this whole NIL thing is a bad dream and will go away.
NIL is here to stay, whether we like it or not. If this NILLY platform works out, it's no longer a donation to help your favorite teams or players, it's an investment. So, win-win. It just launched yesterday and NIL in itself is still basically in its infancy, so we'll see how all of that goes over time but that could be a good thing for both college sports fans and athletes.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I wonder if the NIL will fall under title nine
Here it becomes a double edge sword
So what happens when male athletes get the lion share of the NIL money
Will the title nine advocates come in and say that women should get exactly the same as the men get
Will it be based ability or will there have to be equity, and everybody gets the same amount
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Actually Stu there are some notable female athletes in gymnastics and basketball doing quite well with the NIL
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Olivia Dunne ,Simone Biles, Caitlin Clarke, Paige Beukers, and a few others
But what about the overall plethoria of athletes when you see males getting and overall 100 billion and females getting about 5 billion.
The title IX advocates will jump on this like a wolf on a meat wagon.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I don't see why they'd have a legit claim for equal earnings through title IX. It's based on the market. Football and basketball stars are going to bring in more than tennis and track stars because college football and basketball are simply more popular. If that difference is deemed fair based on the how the markets are set for different sports, why would gender alone be any more of a legit claim to share the pool more equitably? Particularly with this proposed NILLY platform, if that works more like the stock market, they won't be able to dictate what they feel they deserve based on title IX alone. Investors would invest in athletes and teams they want to invest in through NILLY and the market will dictate the allocation of who gets what.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Same reason why you have to invest equal amounts forMale and female sports in college spirts
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 pm Same reason why you have to invest equal amounts forMale and female sports in college spirts
That's very different though than personal NIL for athletes and possible public investment in NIL through NILLY.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I know, but I just saw what the women’s national team in soccer was able to accomplish. Moneywise compare that to the men, and they are actually getting a higher percentage, even though they bring in a small fraction of the revenue
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:56 am I know, but I just saw what the women’s national team in soccer was able to accomplish. Moneywise compare that to the men, and they are actually getting a higher percentage, even though they bring in a small fraction of the revenue
I think that's different though than the way NIL is currently set up and the way something like NILLY would work. In those types of setups, I think it would be more difficult to achieve that same kind of equity.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I agree that as of now it’s set up differently. However, you know that these activist are going to take a look at it and try to bleed it as much as they can they will claim sexism racism, and will seek. Equity between the two sexes.
I just see this as a lawsuit waiting to happen
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:56 am I know, but I just saw what the women’s national team in soccer was able to accomplish. Moneywise compare that to the men, and they are actually getting a higher percentage, even though they bring in a small fraction of the revenue
There are some things to note. One is that the women are better than the men relative to their competition. Prior to last year's disappointment, we won Women's World Cup 2015 and 2019 (it is every four years). The men reached the Quarterfinals in 2002, and their only other finish in the top eight was third in the first World Cup in 1930. From 1954 through 1986, the men did not qualify for nine consecutive World Cups, and there was not a professional league in the country for some of that time. Another thing to note is that women play fewer club games and more national team games than men. The top ten in career games are 112 to 164 for men, and 216 to 354 for women. The top ten in career goals are 17 to 57 for men, and 63 to 184 for women. Those are for us, not for every country combined. We have numbers 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 in career national team games by a woman. Cobi Jones's 164 games rank 20th among men.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

the women pull in only 8 percent what the men do in revenue
want to get paid the same then get all these feminists out and support womens spirts
otherwise the men will continually subsidize women sports
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Has anyone seen an accurate list of how much money college athletes are receiving through NIL contracts? Not just speculation, but real numbers. Thanks.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hi Jojo... a little delayed, but hopefully helpful for you.

So this is for football, but 247 did a no-name study on this recently for several top ranked players that has made rounds among the college football sports boards. Pretty interesting. The numbers run the gamut - some very large as expected, but a lot that are more "reasonable" in terms of what is now considered reasonable in this new era.

Think you'll find it interesting. I think hoops is likely similar - but basketball is a bit different as you don't need as much dough to go around so you can probably get away with paying less guys more. You really only need to spend big on your top 2 stars in hoops to make the impact desired (vs lots of skill positions in football to do the same), and a much more average to low average amount for the rest of the supporting cast, which is nowhere near the NIL budget required to fund a football roster today.

I do think mids can "compete" amongst themselves - not vs P5 of course, but there's no reason even HU can't have an NIL that can give a star $150k. That's chump change today. And that's why we don't need all our fans giving all their expendable money to the U on these giving days, we need the fanbase and businesses to give to NIL - because 1 or 2 well paid studs will send HU to the dance every couple of years in a league like the CAA. Not one dollar of the giving days is going to directly impact HU making the dance (facts, it hasn't and won't), but NIL absolutely will as it directly pays the talent required to get there - and that's all that matters.

I look at what HU has done without it, and then imagine what they could achieve with it - even just a moderate amount. My goodness... imagine making the dance more than once every 25 years. Imagine making a run!!! Should give ya tingles!

Would be worth every penny IMO

https://247sports.com/article/how-real- ... 226740097/