NILLY

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: NILLY

Post by Jojogunne »

Thank you very much, Polito. I will take a look at the link.

One of the things that disturbs me about NIL contracts is all the secrecy that hides the details. Professional sports contracts are public. Why shouldn't NIL contracts be public, too? They are professional contracts.

And while I am not a big Rick Pitino fan, he is right about one thing: NIL and the transfer portal have change college sports, and not necessarily for the better. He's calling for a salary cap:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... salary-cap
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojo don't worry contacts for the players are coming next, they will officially become employees of the schools which sign them.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

as we speak, Dartmouth men’s basketball team has voted to join a union
Wonderful I wonder when their first strike will be
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Saban talking about what influenced his retirement after losing to Michigan. Saban also talked about how the way the college football landscape is changing influenced his decision. He estimated that "maybe 70 or 80% of the players you talk to" wanted to know about their playing time for the upcoming season and how much they would be making in NIL money. He said his players acted poorly also after the loss and did embarrasing things representing the program like sore losers.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Word is one or two of the networks covering college baskball wanted to give Caitlin Clark NIL money to stay in school another year rather than go to the WNBA....she turned them down...amazing what's going on!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I was pretty surprised about Caitlin deciding to go to the WNBA - she would make a ton of $ staying. Maybe there's some big deal in the works for her there though... pretty interesting that the Pros are now going to have to compete with kids getting paid to stay in school! They aren't used to having to battle that.

The union thing is ridiculous. This whole thing stinks, but it isn't going anywhere, so everyone has to figure out how to make it work. Changes are coming in the form of regulation, but remains to be seen exactly when and what exactly those changes will do, good or bad.

And yeah, I do agree as well that it would be helpful to have more transparency around NIL deals.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The entire NIL scenario probably also hastened the departure of Jay Wright from Villanova. He saw the writing on the wall.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Along with Mike Brey from Notre Dame
I give Gino Auerima a year or two at UConn before he throws his arms up in discuss and walks away
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Nick Saban weighing in on NIL and the need for regulations. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 6129&ei=17