Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Newsday Coverage or Lack Of

Post by Jojogunne »

Does St. John's advertise in Newsday?
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

Why do we care so much about Newsday? Most of the people who still read it have had their driving privileges taken away by their kids already.
We need to be advertising on social media. For the past 2 weeks, whenever I open Facebook I get an ad for Princeton-Penn at the Palestra on March 8. We need to do something like that.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:20 pm Why do we care so much about Newsday? Most of the people who still read it have had their driving privileges taken away by their kids already.
We need to be advertising on social media. For the past 2 weeks, whenever I open Facebook I get an ad for Princeton-Penn at the Palestra on March 8. We need to do something like that.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk
Spot on. Newsday's circulation is a fraction of what it was in 2000, say. Newsday is irrelevant. Social media is where the eyes are.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Newsday's digital platform is pretty robust...alot of readers...if you go social you will need to spend as well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:20 pm Why do we care so much about Newsday? Most of the people who still read it have had their driving privileges taken away by their kids already.
Hofstra's promoted last Saturday's pre-game ceremony on Twitter, yet there were complaints that people who were actually in the building for the game at the time were not aware that the ceremony was taking place at that time.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If Hofstra promoted the game on their own Twitter account, that's pretty useless. They need to do a little research and target social media where they can effectively reach potential customers. And Newsday is probably not reaching the desired demographic.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU promotes to itself - to the audience it already has - that's the issue. It is appalling how many local sports people STILL don't know for sure that HU is D1. That's HU's fault, plain and simple.

They need to invest in a proper marketing strategy. Again this isn't rocket science - this isn't some new challenge that no one has ever experienced before lol - it's been solved a million times over by countless others and yet HU continues to be baffled...

I can't stand Newsday. That's not the secret to a packed house. But I don't think ignoring them is either. It's a part of the overall strategy. TV is. Radio is. Social media is. Etc etc. It's called an integrated marketing strategy. When there actually is one of course. Not new, and not hard.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We did run some ads on the FAN for one game...spotty and not enough. Consistency and frequency are key.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great points, two vital elements lost in the current 'approach', whatever that is.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Who needs Newsday when you can get nice articles like this in the post...

https://nypost.com/2024/03/09/sports/ho ... er-system/
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yup like you say who needs Newsday nice article. Lets hope Hofstra doesn't disappoint.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

dutchPride86 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:49 pm Who needs Newsday when you can get nice articles like this in the post...

https://nypost.com/2024/03/09/sports/ho ... er-system/
Agreed, while Roger Rubin and Newsday fawn all over Rick Pitino, Braziller does his homework and writes a great story...not so happy about being referred to as "low level," however. Would prefer "Mid-Major."
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Newsday ran a big story about SBU's win yesterday:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... l-cxl1xbb3
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Two stories on Newsday.com that mention us, by Denis Gorman, a freelancer who has written for the AP. Tonight he will only have to write one article:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... t-tum2julh

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... r-eeowc340
Polito

Post by Polito »

Let it rip Newsday, the moment you’ve wanted to have a total field day, and this program deserves every bit of it. Please do not spare a single soul.

Maybe with enough public humiliation something will actually change at Hofstra.

…. Naaahhhhh who am I kidding.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:06 pm Let it rip Newsday, the moment you’ve wanted to have a total field day, and this program deserves every bit of it. Please do not spare a single soul.

Maybe with enough public humiliation something will actually change at Hofstra.

…. Naaahhhhh who am I kidding.
Story actually wasn't that bad...if fact Hofstra came out ok.