MBB Game 27 Northeastern, Feb. 17 (Sat), 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchPride86

Re: MBB Game 27 Northeastern, Feb. 17 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by dutchPride86 »

Carlos has now passed Savion Lewis at Quinnipiac for the most assists by a D1 player vs. D1 opponent this season with #19
Wags

Post by Wags »

The assists keep coming. 19 assists. Should have been 20 but Dubar missed on a lob.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Carlos also fed Dubar for a jumper but the did 't give Carlos his 20th assist since Dubar put the ball on the floor for a couple of dribbles for the shot. He can't score there without the entry pass though. C'mon, give him the 20!
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Congrats to Carlos! Doing it against a team that's been such a traditional thorn in our side (esp defensively) in Northeastern makes it that much sweeter.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:26 pm Carlos records his 17th assist for a new CAA record, a record that went back to 1986.
Page 24 of https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 3mbask.pdf says the CAA record was 17 by VCU's Joey Rodriguez on November 12, 2010. Richmond's Greg Beckwith had 16 on February 25, 1986, which was the previous high in a game between two CAA teams.

Carlos became the first player from 2010-2011 to now to have at least 5 points, at least 8 rebounds (which led all players), and at least 19 assists.

Towson came back to lead by 5, but their last points were with 3:06 left. Hampton's Ford Cooper Jr. made the winning three to lead 62-61, and Hampton won 67-61. Before the winning three, Cooper Jr. made 3 of 23 threes including 1 miss today.

Delaware came back to win 61-54 at North Carolina A&T.

Drexel won 81-66 hosting Campbell.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Greatr win and terrific performance by Carlos but it makes me wonder how we blew so many other games either with horrendous starts or poor finishes.
Clearly this team is talented enough to be at the top of this league...hopefully now they realize what they can be and grab it over the final four games to secure a top four spot.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

we pkay well at home but struggle mightly on the road
look at the splits
that tells the story
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID80 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:00 pm Greatr win and terrific performance by Carlos but it makes me wonder how we blew so many other games either with horrendous starts or poor finishes.
Clearly this team is talented enough to be at the top of this league...hopefully now they realize what they can be and grab it over the final four games to secure a top four spot.
Agree HUSID, they certainly had the potential to have posted a much better record to this point (of course lots of teams will say the same about their own play). I think two developments have really helped lately. First is the emergence of the "real" German. He has really become another reliable scoring option, and his hustle and size are making a difference. the second development (believe it or not) has been the play of Sunday. I'm not saying that he's been great, but he has played some decent minutes and his size certainly clogs up the middle. I think he's been gaining confidence with the minutes he's been getting. Good to see and I hope it continues.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Here are the top three players in analytics. In efficiency, Carlos had 27, and Dubar and Plotnikov tied with 22. In game score, Plotnikov had 18.5, Dubar had 18.0, and Carlos had 17.0. In net points, Carlos had 12.0, Alexander Nwagha had 8.9, and Jared Turner had 4.8. Carlos was our only player with positive net points. Nwagha scored 6 points in his only stretch of play, which was the last 3:38. It must be rare for a guy who played under a tenth of the game to lead his team in net points.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... =401600732 is the AI article. It names the top three scorers on each team, so it does not mention Carlos. The NCAA record for assists in a game is 24, which is 5 more than he had.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2024/2/17/me ... -rout.aspx is our recap titled "Carlos Sets Program And CAA Single-Game Assist Mark In Pride Rout."

https://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?pat ... l&id=12796 is the box score. The bench played 48 minutes. Griffin Barrouk played in 9 of the first 12 games, then did not play in the 14 games before today. He assisted on our last score. The attendance was 2,122, which is not good for a weekend against another northern team.

https://nuhuskies.com/news/2024/2/17/me ... 82-62.aspx is Northeastern's recap titled "Hofstra Tops Northeastern, 82-62."

Monmouth's Nikita Konstantynovskyi had 22 points and 20 rebounds in an 84-61 win hosting Stony Brook, so we did not have the largest margin of victory by a CAA team today. It must be extremely rare for a conference to have a player with at least 20 rebounds and a player with at least 19 assists in one day. Monmouth is 1 game behind us, and has the tiebreaker. Because we have the tiebreaker over Stony Brook, I was rooting for Stony Brook to beat Monmouth.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:26 pm Carlos records his 17th assist for a new CAA record, a record that went back to 1986.
EvanJ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:09 pm Page 24 of https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 3mbask.pdf says the CAA record was 17 by VCU's Joey Rodriguez on November 12, 2010. Richmond's Greg Beckwith had 16 on February 25, 1986, which was the previous high in a game between two CAA teams.
The 17 was a non-conference game. Beckwith's game was the one I was referring to for a CAA game. But it's good to note both, so thank you! Either way. Carlos now has the record for both!

But thanks twice for pointing this out, because I did not expect Carlos' 19 assists to be the most since Dwan McMillan (who is high on that last with 15 in 2012 against UNCW). I would have guessed a few other Hofstra players before McMillan. Interestingly, McMillan's game and Beckwith's game, previously 2nd and 3rd on the CAA list, now 3rd and 4th, were both on Feb. 25th, 26 years apart.

Carlos also moved into the top 10 at Hofstra, tying Woody Souffrant for 9th place with 362 career assists.
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:33 pm Carlos has now passed Savion Lewis at Quinnipiac for the most assists by a D1 player vs. D1 opponent this season with #19
Drew Thelwell of Morehead State also had 19 against Alice Lloyd (but since it's Alice Lloyd, we'll give it to Carlos lol).
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Elon just defeated UNCW, 73-72, on a putback at the buzzer.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:08 pm Elon just defeated UNCW, 73-72, on a putback at the buzzer.
And that was at UNCW. Hofstra only a game back of UNCW now.

Again, nothing can be taken for granted in this conference until they actually play the games.
Wags

Post by Wags »

It should also be noted that in a game when Carlos had a record 19 assists, he also had a game-high eight rebounds.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

UNCW was favored by 16.5. Elon had an early 2 point lead, but UNCW went on a run to lead by 15 at 34-19. They led 42-36 at halftime. Elon tied it at 44, but UNCW went back up. Elon made a three to go up 65-63 with 5:36 left. UNCW went up 3, and Elon called their last timeout with 19 seconds left. I thought they should have saved their timeout so they could score 2, foul, and call timeout before their next possession, but calling timeout worked. Elon used up enough time that I figured they would shoot a three to tie, but they got a dunk with 7 seconds left to go down. Elon fouled, and Shykeim Phillips missed the first of a one-and-one. TK Simpkins missed a layup, and Isaac Harrell tipped the ball in at the buzzer. Harrell had 1 point before that shot, and led all players with 8 rebounds. Elon's Max Mackinnon led all players with 21. UNCW had balanced scoring with five players having 10 to 14 players. Phillips had 10 points, 9 assists, and 5 steals. Khamari McGriff shot 6-8 and free throws 2-2 to lead UNCW with 14. UNCW shot twos 20-30 and threes 8-29. When a team is shooting twos so much better than threes, they should not have almost half of their attempts be threes. Elon shot threes 9-19. Unlike most teams, UNCW streams their postgame. I listened to Mike Vaccaro (nicknamed "the voice of the Seahawks") and Marty Feurer. Vaccaro is their play-by-play announcer for the twentieth consecutive season. It was UNCW's homecoming.

Charleston now leads the CAA standings, and they need to win hosting William & Mary to keep the lead. A Charleston loss would make a three-way tie, with UNCW 3-1, Charleston 1-2, and Drexel 1-2 against the other two. William & Mary will stay in 13th.

1. Charleston: 10-3
2. UNCW: 10-4 (split with Drexel, 2-0 vs. Charleston, Drexel is 0-1 vs. Charleston)
3. Drexel: 10-4
4. Hofstra: 9-5 (1-0 vs. Delaware and 1-0 vs. Towson)
5. Towson: 9-5 (1-1 vs. Delaware, record vs. Charleston cannot be a tiebreaker because Delaware has not played Charleston yet, 1-0 vs. UNCW, 1-0 vs. Drexel)
6. Delaware: 9-5 (0-1 vs. UNCW and 0-1 vs. Drexel)
7. Monmouth: 8-6
8. Stony Brook: 7-7
9. Campbell: 6-8
10. Elon: 5-9 (0-1 vs. Northeastern and 2-0 vs. North Carolina A&T adds to 2-1)
11. Northeastern: 5-9 (1-0 vs. Northeastern and 0-1 vs. North Carolina A&T adds to 1-1)
12. North Carolina A&T: 5-9 (0-2 vs. Elon and 1-0 vs. Northeastern adds to 1-2)
13. William & Mary: 3-10
14. Hampton: 1-13

After being blown out at Towson, Elon had a great week by beating Delaware and UNCW to get out of the bottom four that have to play in the First Round. It will be hard for Elon to move up more because they were swept by Campbell. However, other than going to us, Elon goes to Northeastern and hosts William & Mary and Monmouth, so it would not take a miracle for Elon to win three of four. Campbell has two easy games hosting Hampton and North Carolina A&T, and two hard games hosting UNCW and at Charleston.

Looking ahead to Thursday, Drexel at Us and Charleston at Delaware are the biggest games. Assuming Charleston wins hosting William & Mary, if they lose at Delaware and UNCW wins, UNCW will go back to first, and even if Drexel wins to be tied with UNCW, UNCW will win the tiebreaker of a head-to-head split and a better record against Charleston. Drexel will go to first if they win and Charleston and UNCW lose.

I was thinking about if we would pass Drexel by beating them, which would make a head-to-head split. Drexel is 1-1 vs. UNCW, but that cannot be a tiebreaker because we have not played UNCW. Both teams are 0-1 vs. Charleston, and 1-0 vs. Delaware. We are 1-0 vs. Towson, and Drexel is 0-1, so that would move us above Drexel. I am assuming that when a tie is being broken by comparing the teams against another group of tied teams, a team is ignored if they have not played both teams we are trying to break the tie with, but I do not know that for sure. I am not going to ask the CAA because at the end of the season everybody will have played everybody, so the CAA does not need to have a tiebreaker rule for a situation that cannot happen at the end of the season.

CBS Sports Network chose to show Towson at UNCW on the last day, which moved the time from 7:00 P.M. to 2:00 P.M. That game and Us at Charleston were candidates, and CBS Sports Network did not choose us. It means that there will not be any night games on the last day.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:00 pm UNCW shot twos 20-30 and threes 8-29. When a team is shooting twos so much better than threes, they should not have almost half of their attempts be threes.
So it's not just Hofstra sometimes.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The CAA's standard of requiring 2.5 free throws made per game to qualify for the free throw percentage leaders is too high. We do not have anybody listed because Thomas leads us with 2.37 made, and Towson's Charles Thompson is the fifteenth and final player listed showing .586. Being in the leaders is supposed to be an honor, but it is not for some of the listed players. Only five players have made 2.5 threes per game to qualify for the three-point field goal percentage leaders, but now that North Carolina A&T's Landon Glasper has not played in 75 percent of games to qualify, all five listed players shoot threes better than average. Xander Rice (.368), Thomas (.368), and Reyne Smith (.367) shoot threes about the same, and they are not far behind KJ Jenkins (.391) and Gabe Dorsey (.373).

Monmouth's Nikita Konstantinovskyi became the first CAA player with at least 20 points and at least 20 rebounds since Rokas Gustys had 22 points and 21 rebounds in a 90-84 win hosting William & Mary on February 15, 2018.

Carlos is now second to Thomas in the CAA in minutes per game.

I do not pay for Newsday, but I hope they wrote about Carlos's record.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 24_MBB.pdf has the statistics.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:40 pm The CAA's standard of requiring 2.5 free throws made per game to qualify for the free throw percentage leaders is too high.
Especially in today's game, when FTA are so much lower than they used to be while everyone's jacking up 3s.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Did anyone happen to stick around yesterday (I wanted to, but had to go) to check out the high school game or see the game on Friday in the Bob McKillop Invitational? It was billed as the biggest high school basketball event in the history of Long Island on Friday.

Friday featured the nation's two best teams, Long Island Lutheran vs. Montverde, which played another team from SC after the Hofstra game yesterday. LI Lutheran played #5 Brewster Academy (MA) afterwards. Jaylen Brown wore a Brewster jersey in tribute to the late former Kentucky star Terrence Clarke in last night's NBA slam dunk contest.

Montverde crushed LI Lutheran, 90-58, on Friday with the nation's top prospect, Cooper Flagg (headed to Duke) leading Montverde. That's always one of the top programs, like Oak Hill, etc. I can only imagine how good Montverde is this year if they beat #2 that bad.
gacoug

Post by gacoug »

EvanJ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:00 pm Drexel will go to first if they win and Charleston and UNCW lose.
Charleston has the tiebreaker over Drexel. So Drexel will need to win both this week and then get two Charleston losses and one uncw loss to get sole possessing of first. That could very possibly happen by the end of next Saturday's games.