MBB Game 23 Towson, Feb. 3 (Sat), 6 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB Game 23 Towson, Feb. 3 (Sat), 6 PM

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:14 pm We have a 9 game streak of games decided by single-digits.
6-3 in those games.

The Charleston loss was a nine-point game in the final minute before the Cougars made 3 FTs to close the scoring. So, it's was almost the first 10 CAA games.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:44 pm
dutchPride86 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:16 pmSeemed like a good atmosphere on TV, hope the students actually come back!
Most attended game this season.... by far. Lower student section full and upper student section 75% full.

Rest of arena was pretty full as well. Finally!! Good to see!
The atmosphere was great today. I think it helped Hofstra win today. It's a shame that it can't be consistent. 2 of the last 3 are Saturday games including, of course, Senior Day, so maybe we can see good crowds for those.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Thomas is 12/26 from 3 over his last three games after going 2/25 from 3 over his prior three games.

Same volume, but seems to be more in the flow of the offense and picking better spots lately, which is why they're falling again.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Anyone here see this? I only saw it now. The Curb music at the end cracked me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://twitter.com/speeddeamon/status/ ... 4707618976
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thomas became the eighth player this season to have at least 23 points, at least 7 rebounds, and at least 9 assists. He became our first player to do that in regulation from 2002-2003 to now. On February 18, 2009 hosting James Madison, Charles Jenkins had 32 points, 7 rebounds, and 13 assists, but he had 22 points after regulation, and we won 99-96 in double overtime. I am surprised Juan'ya Green never had 23, 7, and 9 for us.

It was the first time since a 58-56 win at Delaware on December 31, 2016 that we scored under 60 points in a win. That was 150 wins and 231 games ago.

In this season and the last seven seasons, we are .800 at home.

The CAA says it was "the first day with five or more conference matchups decided by five points or less since Feb. 16, 2008."

UNCW attempted 40 threes. From 2010-2011 to now, we attempted at least 40 threes four times, but in the first two we had under 40 attempts after regulation, and the last two were against non-Division I teams.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Will take every win however they come. And Towson is a nice one to get. These last two seem to have been very big for both Thomas and Dubar - TT especially - he does seem to be playing a bit different, thankfully. His shots, mostly, look more purposeful and I am really liking that he is A) driving and playing more mid range B) doing a good job creating space and C) using his court vision to drop dimes - kid does pass the rock well.

These big shots he's made in these last two games could very well be turning points for him - too early to say, but there's a glimmer of hope where there was none. Team isn't going anywhere w/out him... and conversely they could go far with him.

Dubar looks more assertive to me, and man is he showing some deep range. Guy is a threat all over the floor - he is a talent, esp at this level. IF HU can somehow keep him in the fold next year, and convince him to hold off transferring until his grad year, he would be my too early pick at POY.

And nice to see Farmer produce some. Team is really flawed but hey nearly every CAA team is as well.

Although I'm extremely disappointed in the results and especially the coaching and strategy this year, HU is fortunate to play in a terrible conf so they have a chance like everyone else. If they can somehow find themselves, find another gear... maybe this is a sign of a real shift, who knows.

It's not likely, but it's not impossible either. This was a good W, esp at home, esp with a great crowd. On to the next...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

After the Towson and SBU wins, Thomas should be in the running for CAA POY.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:27 am Thomas became the eighth player this season to have at least 23 points, at least 7 rebounds, and at least 9 assists.
That was a career-high nine assists. He's getting his shots in the flow of the offense the past two games instead of just chucking like before at times. And when it's not there, he's passing. To get nine assists while efficiently scoring 23 was the type of Estrada game the team has missed this year.

His seven boards matched Carlos for a team-best in the game. 16 boards in the past two games for Hofstra's 6-foot, 170-pound point guard should not go unnoticed. He also had nine rebounds against W&M three games ago. Great effort by him with that. He did that last year down the stretch of the regular season too.
Last edited by Wags on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:50 am After the Towson and SBU wins, Thomas should be in the running for CAA POY.
Hofstra would have to keep winning, but yes. When he plays particularly like he did today, he's one of the best players in the conference. Going forward, it's about consistency and making the right plays rather than just seeing how many 3s (ill-advised or not) he can get up. I think he gets it now but we'll have to see how it plays out from here.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Gotta give Sunday some credit for this game. Played 15 minutes, his most in 14 games. Didn't get a rebound and only scored 2 pts, but his presence was felt a lot more than in most of the games in which we wondered why he should see the floor at all.

Speedy:
“Silas was huge. He’s a big presence and playing against [Towson’s] bigs and their physicality, we needed him tonight and he stepped up in a big way. He provided great minutes for us.”

Also, Towson had 17 offensive rebounds - 7 in the first half and 9 more within in the first 8:47 of the second half. But they only had one more, with about :30 left after the 11:13 mark of the second half.

I asked Speedy about HU basically shutting that down over the last 11 minutes (I thought it was the last 8-9 minutes), because really, Towson's best offensive option was what it's usually been for the better part of the last two decades - missing a shot and getting an offensive rebound (it's amazing how their identity has remained the same for so long). He said:
"In one of those timeouts coming down the stretch, we said to our guys, ‘Listen, if we could clean up the offensive rebounds, we can win this game. They can’t beat us if they don’t offensive rebound,' and to these kids’ credit, they stopped giving up offensive rebounds, and that’s why we won."
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It was particularly annoying to be at this game and watch us get pounded on the glass from both ends of the court. We had 32 rebounds of which only 6 were offensive. Towson had 42 with 17 being O rebounds. Fritz as the game went on was high on my most ineffective player list. Seemingly out of position for O rebounds to getting beat when they were scoring on second chance points. Missing easy layups and then missing two consecutive free throws. Like has been said as crazy as it seems we got a lift just from the presence of Sunday on the court. His massive size can be a deterrent in the paint and he also had 2 blocked shots. If this team Towson could shoot three's we would have been in trouble in this game cause we gave them a lot of open looks. Just couldn't figure out how they constantly had wide open shooters on the corners in this game.

IDK if it was just pure MAGIC but Tyler(#23) scores 23 points on his birthday. Maybe just destiny!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:16 am Will take every win however they come. And Towson is a nice one to get. These last two seem to have been very big for both Thomas and Dubar - TT especially - he does seem to be playing a bit different, thankfully. His shots, mostly, look more purposeful and I am really liking that he is A) driving and playing more mid range B) doing a good job creating space and C) using his court vision to drop dimes - kid does pass the rock well.

These big shots he's made in these last two games could very well be turning points for him - too early to say, but there's a glimmer of hope where there was none. Team isn't going anywhere w/out him... and conversely they could go far with him.

Dubar looks more assertive to me, and man is he showing some deep range. Guy is a threat all over the floor - he is a talent, esp at this level. IF HU can somehow keep him in the fold next year, and convince him to hold off transferring until his grad year, he would be my too early pick at POY.

And nice to see Farmer produce some. Team is really flawed but hey nearly every CAA team is as well.

Although I'm extremely disappointed in the results and especially the coaching and strategy this year, HU is fortunate to play in a terrible conf so they have a chance like everyone else. If they can somehow find themselves, find another gear... maybe this is a sign of a real shift, who knows.

It's not likely, but it's not impossible either. This was a good W, esp at home, esp with a great crowd. On to the next...
Welcome back Polito...good to hear from you again!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

This felt like the best win they’ve had this year. Beat a top team in the conference in a VERY physical game. Good job by the promotion staff in bringing in a great crowd. Did a good job promoting the giveaway. There was a huge line out the door an hour before the game to get the jerseys. I heard a few students say that they were going to get the jerseys and go, but most did stay and did a great job bringing the energy - really getting on May every time he touched the ball. Oh what could be.

As Speedy mentioned they had to play two very different styles this week. SB was more of a shootout and a
More grinding game against Towson. Towson is always very physical and the refs were letting them play especially in the first half. Felt they were getting the whistle in the second on fouls that weren’t being called early. And it wasn’t just from Hofstra settling for 3s - team was getting beat up in the paint.

Was surprised the run that Farmer and KJ got at the end of the first half. I was wondering if Dubar was hurt. Farmer played well - looked confident and took his open looks. Made mature move to pass on a three and hit a shorter jumper at one point.

I thought Sunday played his best game. May not see it on the stat sheet, but did a nice job tapping a few rebounds out and boxing out their bigs who were killing us - specifically Parr. Had a nice pick and roll bucket as well that was a flash of what could be (reminded me of the old Rok days for that one play lol)

Thomas and Dubar led as was mentioned. JC hit some big 3s but was also blocked a few times. I wonder if the scout on him at this point is that he drives but won’t shoot. Had a clear lane for a layup and passed out for a 3 (Dubar made it) but I think he needs to take a few to keep the D honest. Almost always drives and goes under the net to pass it out. Don’t understand why he always passes up the layups.

All in all a positive week and some strong wins that put them on the cusp of the top 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thomas lost to the CAA scoring lead to Monmouth's Xander Rice. Finishing above UNCW could help Thomas over Trazarien White. Thomas and William & Mary's Chase Lowe are the only players in the CAA's top 20 in scoring, top 20 in rebounding, and top 15 in assists. Lowe averages 12.78 points. Thomas shoots .413. If a player made half of his twos, one-third of his threes, and his percentage of attempts that were threes matched Thomas's, the player would shoot .410.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:45 am IDK if it was just pure MAGIC but Tyler(#23) scores 23 points on his birthday. Maybe just destiny!!
Pretty cool coincidence, although it was the day after his 24th birthday, not on his birthday.

He was born (2/2/2000) exactly one month after The Mack opened (1/2/2000) with his current head coach leading Hofstra to a win that day. Pretty cool to see that with Hofstra now at the same that Jalen Brunson is now playing for Tom Thibodeau, who used to know Brunson as a very young kid back when Thibs coached Brunson's dad Rick, who is now a Knicks assistant under Thibs.

But not a bad three days at all for Thomas - two good games and two big wins, game-winner Thursday, birthday Friday, very good all-around game Saturday.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Thomas should get the POW for his games against SBU and Towson...
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:56 pm Thomas should get the POW for his games against SBU and Towson...
It should be a lock. Only two other teams besides Hofstra (UNCW and Delaware) went 2-0 during the week and no one on those two teams stood out in both of those teams' wins like Thomas did in both of Hofstra's wins.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Some comments from Towson Coach Skerry here:

https://www.towsonfans.com/index.php?/t ... mbb-59-56/

We are one of the few schools to put postgame pressers online.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

This was a nice win but they gave up a lot of wide open looks from 3 in crunch time that Towson missed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:56 pm Thomas should get the POW for his games against SBU and Towson...
Official now:

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 5551607063