Next Year's Team

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Next Year's Team

Post by HUSID80 »

Don't sleep on our two committed freshmen; PF Joshua Decady, who at 6-8 looks to be an impaful player and the 6-6 SF Amir Williams.
Both of these guys were recruited aggressively and are ranked pretty high.
Looks like a log jam of 6-3 guards in Farmer, Parnell and Robinson...hopefully one emerges as a strong starter.
And then the elephant in the room is Dubar...he stays and we're looking pretty good with a few additions, he leaves and there's lots of work to do!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:16 pm And then the elephant in the room is Dubar...he stays and we're looking pretty good with a few additions, he leaves and there's lots of work to do!
Another reason they should have found ways to combat how Stony Brook was taking him out of the game in the semis and find him more shots. I hope Dubar being held to a season-low in shots in the biggest game of the year, a step from the championship game, doesn't impact his decision to stay. Had he got a bunch of shots and still went down firing, that's easier to accept when deciding if he may want to return. It may not (and shouldn't) only come to that - NIL, bigger stage elsewhere, all that will factor the most - but that was also the last memory of the season for him and it may be a single factor of several in his decision-making. Obviously, that stuff matters most for that particular game and trying to win it, and to advance in that particular tournament. But with the portal these days, it's also something to consider with the approach in conference tournament games. You have to approach it not only for that game but if you lose, considering what may keep your star players from entering the portal and leaving.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the transfer portal begin Monday, March 18th? I guess we'll know soon. Wags, also, thanks so much for all your articles and coverage of HU basketball this past season. My family always enjoys reading your well written articles.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:07 pm Wags, Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the transfer portal begin Monday, March 18th? I guess we'll know soon. Wags, also, thanks so much for all your articles and coverage of HU basketball this past season. My family always enjoys reading your well written articles.
That's correct, and a shorter window this year (45 days) than last year (60 days), from 3/18 - 5/1. It's also expected that some players (like we see with the NBA draft) put their names in (to leverage NIL money and drive up marketability) and then takes their names out and return to the teams they were with, but that remains to be seen how many may do that.

Much thanks to you & your family for reading. Appreciate it!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, Thanks for the info on the shorter time period for the portal in 2024. I was not aware of the change in the number of days being reduced from 60 days to 45 days. Looks like it will be a very busy spring for recruiting at HU and the other colleges.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Some kids have already announced that they are entering the Portal. Williams from Drexel has already announced.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

No shocker there he's looking to come here?? Wishful thinking of course.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I didn't consider Carlos leaving but this is a new landscape, anything is possible. Led league in assists by a mile and regular entry on the all defensive team.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

cactus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:18 am I didn't consider Carlos leaving but this is a new landscape, anything is possible. Led league in assists by a mile and regular entry on the all defensive team.
I think Carlos stays. He has a great relationship with Speedy and he knows Speedy will make him the best player he can be. If he leaves there is no guarantee of that.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 am Some kids have already announced that they are entering the Portal. Williams from Drexel has already announced.
Yup, and 3 W&M and 3 Hampton players. But it'll all start being official in three days.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Carlos has grown here and as stated no guarantees if goes somewhere else. A lot depends on Dubar and whatever Speedy can bring in for next year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Already 157 kids in the portal according to Verbal Commits!
HU87

Post by HU87 »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:33 am
cactus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:18 am I didn't consider Carlos leaving but this is a new landscape, anything is possible. Led league in assists by a mile and regular entry on the all defensive team.
I think Carlos stays. He has a great relationship with Speedy and he knows Speedy will make him the best player he can be. If he leaves there is no guarantee of that.
I agree from an emotional standpoint-- In the old world, JC is a 4 year guy and there would be little to no risk.

As I've said in past posts, I'm worried about even putting this out into the world because I love JCs play this year and think his opportunity here will be huge next season.

That being said... we all need to now be realistic that a kid who averaged 10/4/6 with 2 steals and 2 years of All-CAA defensive honors might get a financial package at a bigger school that's too good to turn down. It doesn't have to be Alabama/Michigan State... some of these low majors need good players as well.

It's a brand new variable in this equation and it's hard to argue with money as a twenty-something.

I hope I'm wrong and/or that we're doing what we need to do to keep him-- both emotionally (seems taken care of) and financially.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Wags wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 am
HUSID80 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 am Some kids have already announced that they are entering the Portal. Williams from Drexel has already announced.
Yup, and 3 W&M and 3 Hampton players. But it'll all start being official in three days.

W&M and Hampton have made coaching changes as well, so would expect tremendous turnover on those teams. But regardless, half the league will probably transfer in this new era of cbb
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I don't like that you can apparently transfer within your conference...i.e. Policelli going from SB to Charleston. Can really make an even bigger mess.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:50 pm I don't like that you can apparently transfer within your conference...i.e. Policelli going from SB to Charleston. Can really make an even bigger mess.
Until it may work to our benefit. Then you'd love it! Maybe HU can lure their own Policelli. Funny how things work out, that after he transferred, of all teams, he faces Stony Brook in the championship game when Stony Brook wasn't even supposed to reach the semis as a 7 seed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:33 pm
Wags wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 am

W&M and Hampton have made coaching changes as well, so would expect tremendous turnover on those teams. But regardless, half the league will probably transfer in this new era of cbb
It won't be quite that much, but could be significant. We've been seeing about 20%-25% nationally since the portal has become what it has in recent years.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HU87 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:19 pm It's a brand new variable in this equation and it's hard to argue with money as a twenty-something.

I hope I'm wrong and/or that we're doing what we need to do to keep him-- both emotionally (seems taken care of) and financially.
"and financially" - I'm still not used to this. Makes it sound like pro sports, but that's essentially what it is now.

That record 19-assist game in addition to just the general body of work could also open some eyes and create some offers for Jaquan. I didn't really consider that he'd leave too, was thinking just Dubar. But it's entirely possible. Really, anyone can. It doesn't only have to be like Estrada or possibly Dubar jumping into a bigger pond. Look how Amar'e Marshall wanted a bigger role at Albany. Poachers can very easily come from anywhere for anyone now. But that works both ways, so let's see what HU can bring in too. It'll be an interesting 45 days starting on Monday. But it's also pretty dumb that they can't just wait another few weeks. Let the season be over for everyone because there are domino effects everywhere, so in an ideal worlds, there wouldn't be any player movement until everyone is done playing in early April. I don't get the rush to have the starting point the day after Selection Sunday when they can just wait three more weeks.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

So with Dubar now officially gone I guess the big question left is Wilmoth? Seems like we're gonna need 2-3 IMPACT transfers to have any shot at competing next season....

Starting 5:
PG - Carlos (Nothing can ever be shocking in this current climate but Carlos leaving would still be really disappointing)
SG - TRANSFER (either next Estrada type coming down or next Thomas moving up, but gonna need a 15+ ppg scorer here)
G/F - German (still think he's best off the bench but don't see how they load up the roster enough to do that)
F - Wilmoth/TRANSFER (fwiw in my head maybe Wilmoth ceiling is like what Policelli did for Charleston this year best case just based on his size?)
C - TRANSFER

Bench - Sunday, KiJan Robinson, the 2 freshman (hope they're as promising as you guys say! Are either of these freshman big enough recruits to have a Pemberton type impact and start immediately? ). Figuring some combo of Farmer/Barrouk/Parnell (what's the deal with that kid?) leave to transfer down for more playing time, whoever is left would be the default 2nd guard off the bench unless they get another 5th yr Ivy bench type guy for that role.

Typing that all out feels like top 4 spot next year will be a stretch unless transfers in are great. Do not think Sunday or KiJan can be considered anywhere close to ready to be starters if team is serious about competing. Thoughts?
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

stinks Dubar leaving. Unless Speedy pulls some miracles out of the transfer portal this is not looking good to me. Except for Carlos the cupboard looks bare.