Next Year's Team

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Next Year's Team

Post by HUSID80 »

Cannot blame Dubar if he is offered Estrada money...that's just the way it is now...we'll see other CAA top players leave as well.
Now, more than ever its critical for mids to get freshmen with potential, develop them and watch the P5s grab them after a couple of years.
Also critical for us to find the Dubars and Estradas who wwnt big time and weren't quite ready.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:14 pm Cannot blame Dubar if he is offered Estrada money...that's just the way it is now...we'll see other CAA top players leave as well.
Now, more than ever its critical for mids to get freshmen with potential, develop them and watch the P5s grab them after a couple of years.
Also critical for us to find the Dubars and Estradas who wwnt big time and weren't quite ready.
We've already seen other top CAA players go but it hasn't always been great for them (career-wise, even if NIL-wise) or for the sport. The sport would be much better off if Estrada stays at Hofstra instead of leaving for Alabama and if Nicolas Timberlake stays at Towson instead of going to Kansas.

Estrada is contributing on his new team but he has found out that he's much better suited to be a CAA POY than just another guy in the SEC. Meanwhile, Timberlake, who would have been in the mix for CAA POY this year has gone from 35.7 mpg, 17.7 ppg, 45.5 FG%, and 41.6 3pt FG% at Towson last year to 10.7 mpg, 3.6 ppg, 36.1 FG% and 27.7 3pg FG% at Kansas this year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I cannot speak for Timberlake but Estrada has about $500,000 in his bank account for making the move.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Timberlake having a tough time of it at Kansas but Estrada fairing better at Alabama in a totally different role. I do find this very deplorable when you take the A out of AMATEUR in college sports been watching this great game of basketball a long time. Now P5 schools can pick up a schools roster like it was a menu or an auction and make a bid for another schools players. How about we have some rules here like compensatory $$$ for schools who take other schools players. If you want Dubar you'll pay him but you have to compensate Hofstra a substantial amount of money to do so. Now maybe it will be more of a decision on the schools doing the poaching. If you want to turn college sports into a blatant business then lets really raise the stakes. How about that??

I don't think it was ever the intention for us mid-majors to be the minor leagues for the P5 schools. Just ridiculous. For once does it always have to be about money.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:14 pm
triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:18 am And Marshall even though he's not here. He resembles Charles Jenkins IMO.
Body type maybe, a few pounds lighter. But same thing - nice player, still has plenty of college time left to grow further, but he's likely not getting drafted in the NBA. He's not at Jenkins' level. I'll even add Desure Buie to that list. Those types of guards have stopped coming to Hofstra and with Speedy as the head coach, it should be easier, not harder than before, to bring them in.
Maybe not at Jenkins level yet nor maybe he will never be but just remember it took Jenkins time to develop as well. I believe Jenkins red-shirted one year?
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:15 pm I cannot speak for Timberlake but Estrada has about $500,000 in his bank account for making the move.
Not to mention playing his home games in front of 13,000 fans instead of 1,300 and on ESPN instead of Flo.

The success stories from the CAA do outweigh the failures - Jameer Nelson Jr is the 2nd leading scorer on a ranked TCU team, and just dropped 30 in a 3OT win at Baylor over the weekend. Jahmyl Telfort is the 2nd leading scorer for Butler. And Tyson Walker has been on the national scene leading Michigan St for a couple years now.

With the amount of money available in NIL, it's just unrealistic to expect any of these kids to stay, even if it means being a 2 or 3 instead of top dog.

I do think the one thing that will slightly level the playing field is once all the covid era players have graduated and it goes back to everyone with only 4 yrs of eligibility. Getting an NIL bag and transferring up is only even possible for a guy like Dubar next year because of it
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:58 pm Timberlake having a tough time of it at Kansas but Estrada fairing better at Alabama in a totally different role. I do find this very deplorable when you take the A out of AMATEUR in college sports been watching this great game of basketball a long time. Now P5 schools can pick up a schools roster like it was a menu or an auction and make a bid for another schools players. How about we have some rules here like compensatory $$$ for schools who take other schools players. If you want Dubar you'll pay him but you have to compensate Hofstra a substantial amount of money to do so. Now maybe it will be more of a decision on the schools doing the poaching. If you want to turn college sports into a blatant business then lets really raise the stakes. How about that??

I don't think it was ever the intention for us mid-majors to be the minor leagues for the P5 schools. Just ridiculous. For once does it always have to be about money.
Triplec agree with you. In fact I've already proposed it on these boards somewhere...if you pluck Dubar, Hofstra gets a percentage of what he's paid for our NIL fund...now all we need to do is get the Power 5/NCAA to agree to it!
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:01 pm
Wags wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:14 pm
triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:18 am And Marshall even though he's not here. He resembles Charles Jenkins IMO.
Body type maybe, a few pounds lighter. But same thing - nice player, still has plenty of college time left to grow further, but he's likely not getting drafted in the NBA. He's not at Jenkins' level. I'll even add Desure Buie to that list. Those types of guards have stopped coming to Hofstra and with Speedy as the head coach, it should be easier, not harder than before, to bring them in.
Maybe not at Jenkins level yet nor maybe he will never be but just remember it took Jenkins time to develop as well. I believe Jenkins red-shirted one year?
He redshirted but as a freshman the following year, he scored 15 a game as a starter on 47% shooting.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:24 pm
triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:58 pm Timberlake having a tough time of it at Kansas but Estrada fairing better at Alabama in a totally different role. I do find this very deplorable when you take the A out of AMATEUR in college sports been watching this great game of basketball a long time. Now P5 schools can pick up a schools roster like it was a menu or an auction and make a bid for another schools players. How about we have some rules here like compensatory $$$ for schools who take other schools players. If you want Dubar you'll pay him but you have to compensate Hofstra a substantial amount of money to do so. Now maybe it will be more of a decision on the schools doing the poaching. If you want to turn college sports into a blatant business then lets really raise the stakes. How about that??

Triplec agree with you. In fact I've already proposed it on these boards somewhere...if you pluck Dubar, Hofstra gets a percentage of what he's paid for our NIL fund...now all we need to do is get the Power 5/NCAA to agree to it!
What would be their incentive to do so when they're already getting those players for nothing and there's nothing the feeder schools can do to keep them from doing that?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There needs to be rules/law mandating the compensation for the schools getting poached. If no rules then this will be blatant and of course the mid-majors get the short end of the stick as always.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:00 pm There needs to be rules/law mandating the compensation for the schools getting poached. If no rules then this will be blatant and of course the mid-majors get the short end of the stick as always.
Would be nice, but from the same NCAA that annually selects undeserving middle-of-the-pack P5 teams over more deserving mids for NCAAT at-larges and that took away the automatic NIT bids for regular season conference winners that don't make the NCAAT? Not likely.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Not saying Dubar can't play in the SEC but Arkansas is in for a rude awakening when they find out he's a 6'6" Small Forward and not a 6'8" guard. That highlight film not the best of Dubar (certainly shooting the 3 not withstanding) but doesn't show him doing anything else - just standing in the corner - he's been showing more to his game lately.
Captain

Post by Captain »

It certainly to awhile but HU former player David Green is doing some good things for URI these days.
I have seen some recent box scores where he is the leading scorer for a struggling URI team.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The Arkanas article talks about Dubar being a guard who can shoot the three...that's waht they are looking for.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

The article may say he's a 6'8" guard but we all know he's neither!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:01 pm I believe Jenkins red-shirted one year?
We didn't need Jenkins when he redshirted in 2006-2007 because Loren Stokes (who graduated after that season), Antoine Agudio, Carlos Rivera (who graduated after that season), and Zygis Sestokas were starting guards. Somebody said that Nathaniel Lester (who scored 1,139 points) was expected to be better than Jenkins.
Captain wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:34 pm It certainly to awhile but HU former player David Green is doing some good things for URI these days.
He averaged 3.1 points in 18 games for us. After two seasons for Louisiana Tech, he is averaging 15.1 points for URI. He has only played 9 games, so if the NCAA and/or A10 uses the standard of needing to play in 75 percent of the team's games to qualify that the CAA uses, he will not qualify for statistics leaders. He shoots threes better than twos and better than free throws.

The Arkansas link got two out of three words wrong by calling it the Colonial Athletic Conference.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:15 am
triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:00 pm There needs to be rules/law mandating the compensation for the schools getting poached. If no rules then this will be blatant and of course the mid-majors get the short end of the stick as always.
Would be nice, but from the same NCAA that annually selects undeserving middle-of-the-pack P5 teams over more deserving mids for NCAAT at-larges and that took away the automatic NIT bids for regular season conference winners that don't make the NCAAT? Not likely.
To be fair, this would also have to work both ways. If Hofstra had received compensation for losing Estrada to Alabama, would Hofstra also have been willing to pay Sacred Heart for acquiring Tyler Thomas? I think that's doubtful, which may be an additional reason we'll probably never see this. Plus, like coaches leaving, players are free to do so of their own volition, so it would be very difficult to justify why such mandates would have to be imposed.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

The problem is the "one time transfer" rule. I thought the barrier of having to sit out a year was reasonable. Now it's de facto free agency, and the schools that go through the cost of recruiting and developing players are the losers.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

its all about the Benjamins💲💲💲💲💲
Cards

Post by Cards »

Yes I recently heard a sports analyst say that there are instances of very good players willing to fore go a scholarship spot and be considered a walk on because the NLI money offered them exceeds the dollar value of that schools typical scholarship. Sounded like a pretty unique situation, but I could see that happening if a team is working around some redshirt or injury situations.