Next Year's Team

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Next Year's Team

Post by HUSID80 »

Ok so were just past the halfway point of this year's season and so far we can all pretty much agree that its been somewhat disappointing to date

With that in mind I started thinking bout NEXT YEAR's team it looks like we are facing a MAJOR rebuilding effort.

We are definitley losing two starters, Fritz and Thomas, and arguably our sixth man Washingston.

Also there is no guarantee that Dubar will return as he is free to go anywhere he pleases next year like Aaron Estrada did.

This leaves us with returning starters Jacquan Carlos and the recent starter German Plotinikov if Dubar does not return.

More unsetling is that the only other member of the current team who is getting any meaningful playing time is KiJan Robinson who has shown flashes that he can be a real contributor...but we have seen virtually nothing from Sunday, Barouk, Farmer and, we believe, the red-shirted Parnell.

So far our recruits, both freshmen, Amir Williams a 6-5 SF and Josh Decady a 6-8 forward have to be considered question marks.

If Dubar returns we will still need at least two transfers who can play the four and five postions (Wilmouth?) as we have seen this year a total lack of depth there and another scoring guard with experience

I am not counting the phantom, Tomasco, in this assessment as no one knws where he is.

Looking to me like a pretty cloudy fuutre for the Pride next year.

Thoughts?
Wags

Re: Next Year's Team

Post by Wags »

Too depressing to think about at this stage while there's still hope that this year's team can pull off a minor miracle and make what seems to be as of right now, an unexpected run second-half run. But with the cupboard looking very bare next year among what's already in house, whether Dubar stays or not, they're going to have to somehow find significant help through the portal next year. Obviously, even more so if Dubar leaves, and help that would mesh well with Dubar if he stays.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As I've said before next year could be a rebuilding year but I will dream for a second on what could have been this year. Wilmoth an unknown would have helped us with our lack of depth in the post. If we didn't lose Amare Marshall for God knows what reason would love to know how that went down when he was in a good place to start here. We would have been a much better team with him he's like a Charles Jenkins clone. The 2nd leader scorer for the Albany Great Danes getting 17 points a game 44% from two and 37% from three but not throwing in the towel on this team yet. A bit early to be thinking about next year.

I feel confident that with all the players around we will have to think outside the box and grab some players from the JUCO ranks and Speedy and company will be on top of that. Robinson will be the starting PG I would imagine and maybe Carlos could develop into a Zach Cooks type guard. We can only dream. Freshmen get playing time and someone like Barrouk if he's still here could get a decent role. I don't really know how Farmer will figure into the equation as he has had trouble on the D end the reason I believe he watches it from the bench right now.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Right now if no one leaves I see our next year's starting lineup as follows:

Carlos PG
Robinson SG
Plotnikov SF
Dubar PF
Wilmouth C
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

that’s if nobody gets injured or leaves
any idea what our bench will look like?
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Obviously expectations will hinge on whether Dubar returns.

That being said, we count on the team to always add at least 1 center in the portal (of varying quality of course). And Speedy can go after Estrada/Dubar/Thomas level players again with all the open playing time on next year's roster. On paper there wasn't room for those level guys on this year's roster (and maybe they felt Wilmoth would have made that type of impact).

One thing I don't want to see is KJ and Carlos penciled in both as starters. That is waaaaay too small a starting backcourt. KJ i also think will be best suited long term as a shoot first ball dominant PG. Hopefully he's ok coming off the bench a 2nd yr behind Carlos
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID80 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:06 pm Right now if no one leaves I see our next year's starting lineup as follows:

Carlos PG
Robinson SG
Plotnikov SF
Dubar PF
Wilmouth C
I think a lot of people are going to leave. We have to replace them with much better players.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I don't see Wilmouth as a 5 - He makes Fritz look like a body builder. More like a stretch 4 as I heard somewhere he could shoot 3's. Have to keep Dubar somehow because losing him and Thomas too much to overcome. Going to have to make a killing in the portal.
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

I think every year will be a rebuilding year with the NIL and transfer rules the way they are.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
Wags

Post by Wags »

JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:38 pm I think every year will be a rebuilding year with the NIL and transfer rules the way they are.
Probably right but this is the program that found Speedy, Agudio, Jenkins, Wright-Foreman, and less local but still in state, Stokes.

Why has that just dried up? HU used to be Guard U. with top CAA, local NYC area talent. Especially with the head coach they have and where he's from and his story, can't they get some of that anymore to mix with the portal finds? Granted, today (unlike before) there's far greater risk even those guys would bolt if they had early success here, but they aren't even coming here in the first place anymore (Carlos is nice but he's not at the level of those other guys). I think that, primarily, along with being unable to find the impact bigs like before (Uter, Taylor, Kante) has put them in the expected bind for next year more than anything. They need that to somehow get back to that as a foundation first and then build through the portal, JUCO, and then adding role players, etc.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Here we go re: Dubar...the wolves, in this case Razorbacks are circling!

https://www.si.com/college/arkansas/hog ... bar-batcho
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ZMAN3 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:59 pm I don't see Wilmouth as a 5 - He makes Fritz look like a body builder. More like a stretch 4 as I heard somewhere he could shoot 3's. Have to keep Dubar somehow because losing him and Thomas too much to overcome. Going to have to make a killing in the portal.
Zman, that's what we have in stock right now...would you prefer Sunday? They also said Fritz could shoot the three...I think he does have one.
Last edited by HUSID80 on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 pm
JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:38 pm I think every year will be a rebuilding year with the NIL and transfer rules the way they are.
Probably right but this is the program that found Speedy, Agudio, Jenkins, Wright-Foreman, and less local but still in state, Stokes.

Why has that just dried up? HU used to be Guard U. with top CAA, local NYC area talent. Especially with the head coach they have and where he's from and his story, can't they get some of that anymore to mix with the portal finds? Granted, today (unlike before) there's far greater risk even those guys would bolt if they had early success here, but they aren't even coming here in the first place anymore (Carlos is nice but he's not at the level of those other guys). I think that, primarily, along with being unable to find the impact bigs like before (Uter, Taylor, Kante) has put them in the expected bind for next year more than anything. They need that to somehow get back to that as a foundation first and then build through the portal, JUCO, and then adding role players, etc.
They have. Carlos was highly recruited KJan can play and Parnell is good as well...not so worried about the guards as I am up front.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

And Marshall even though he's not here. He resembles Charles Jenkins IMO.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Clearly we need a portal transfer to start at the 5. Wilmoth is not a 5, in fact, he may be our starting 4 if DD leaves.

I don't know how tough it is to get "bench" or "practice" players, but maybe we should be looking for a starting and back-up 5 and let SS walk to a school where he can get some playing time and maybe make a difference. D2??

I am very high on our 6'8" high school commit Joshua DeCady. Video looks very promising and he may get meaningful playing time at the 4 as a freshman.

I think a real wild card will be Parnell. He is extremely athletic, but until we see him fit into Speedy's system and play solid defense he remains a question mark.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:13 am
Wags wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 pm

They have. Carlos was highly recruited KJan can play and Parnell is good as well...not so worried about the guards as I am up front.
Carlos is a nice player but he's not nearly the impact type of guard like the ones I mentioned. He's not even in the conversation. They were elite.

We'll see about the other two and how they pan out. They used to routinely bring in local area ELITE guards and they're not doing that anymore.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:08 am Here we go re: Dubar...the wolves, in this case Razorbacks are circling!

The writings on the wall we'll need some luck here!
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:18 am And Marshall even though he's not here. He resembles Charles Jenkins IMO.
Body type maybe, a few pounds lighter. But same thing - nice player, still has plenty of college time left to grow further, but he's likely not getting drafted in the NBA. He's not at Jenkins' level. I'll even add Desure Buie to that list. Those types of guards have stopped coming to Hofstra and with Speedy as the head coach, it should be easier, not harder than before, to bring them in.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:14 pm
HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:08 am Here we go re: Dubar...the wolves, in this case Razorbacks are circling!

The writings on the wall we'll need some luck here!
Damn SEC may steal another one.
Last edited by Wags on Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Very simple answer: NIL $$$$$$$$$$ If you were these players, or part of their family, what would you do? Grab it while you're able and invest wisely. A college degree can be completed after a sport career whether in the USA or overseas.