MBB Game 22 Stony Brook, Feb. 1 (Thu), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 22 Stony Brook, Feb. 1 (Thu), 7 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

The Battle of Long Island continues on Feb. 1 when Stony Brook comes to Hempstead for a return match with our men 10 days after they faced off on the SUNY campus. Hofstra won that match, 80-74.

The Seawolves thumped UNCW in OT today (Saturday) on the CBS Sports Network, 86-78. I caught the last few minutes of regulation as well as the extra time. Our friends from Suffolk looked much better than they did last week against us.

In between our two games, SBU defeated Monmouth at home, 72-65. We, of course, lost to Monmouth today, 81-78.

With school back in session and a lot of SBU fans on Long Island, this game should be one of better-attended events in a while. I just hope the Hofstra fans outnumber the SBU fans.

FloHoops will carry this game. MSG-SN or MSG+ will also have the broadcast, although my DVR will not allow me to record it. It may only be available online.
Wags

Re: MBB Game 22 Stony Brook, Feb. 1 (Thu), 7 PM

Post by Wags »

Elsewhere in the CAA on Thursday night, all at 7 pm:

Northeastern (3-5) at Towson (6-2)
UNCW (5-3) at Charleston (6-2)
Hampton (0-9) at NC A&T (4-4)
Drexel (8-1) at Monmouth (4-4)
Delaware (4-4) at W&M (3-5)
Campbell (4-4) at Elon (2-6)

Really a must-win for Hofstra to close out the first half of the CAA schedule to possibly have to keep pace - NC A&T and Delaware will be expected to get to 5-4, Campbell has a good chance to do the same, and maybe Monmouth too if they pull off the upset at home.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

There are now six teams tied at 4-4 by my count...we need to separate ourselves from the pack...this is the week to do it as the schedule gets tougher from now on after these two games.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:35 am There are now six teams tied at 4-4 by my count...
Correct, including both teams in this Stony Brook-Hofstra matchup on Thursday.
HUSID80 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:35 am we need to separate ourselves from the pack...this is the week to do it as the schedule gets tougher from now on after these two games.
Forget after this week, it gets tougher now. We know Stony Brook gave HU all they can handle last week and Saturday, 6-2 Towson comes to The Mack.

This Thursday's game marks the halfway point of CAA play and HU has yet to have a single easy game no matter who they've played. They're all tough games for this team.
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

Disappointing team. We’re mediocre. They seem to only play well for half a game. The main weakness , in my opinion, is the disaster at center…one big out with a shoulder injury, one quits the team and one is huge, but inept. The only competent big…Fritz…can’t seem to stay on the court for a full game. My guess is we finish middle of the pack and exit early from the tournament. As I said, disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mark19th wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:15 pm Disappointing team. We’re mediocre. They seem to only play well for half a game. The main weakness , in my opinion, is the disaster at center…one big out with a shoulder injury, one quits the team and one is huge, but inept. The only competent big…Fritz…can’t seem to stay on the court for a full game. My guess is we finish middle of the pack and exit early from the tournament. As I said, disappointing.
Fritz, when he stays on the floor, is very efficient (67.1 FG%) inside. It would also help him out if the guards could contain opposing guards better. One thing affects another and you have to play good D as a unit.

Your point is valid and the center spot overall has been an issue, but this program has always been guard-oriented and managed to play better despite being thin at that position. The main difference is they had guards who could score in a variety of ways and didn't rely on a #1 option on the team (always the guard in the past) taking 15 3s in games (only making 3 or 4) out of a little over 20 total shots.

They didn't have much at center last year, but got the 1 seed and were within a whisper of the CAA finals. Four years ago, Kante was a huge reason they won the tourney title, but he was a forward playing with four guards and Schute was basically just a role-playing center. And that team didn't have a bench, either, and still won it all. Not saying better play at the 5 wouldn't help, but I don't think it's their primary issue this year. If a different approach were taken with Thomas and they got more efficiency there, it would greatly cover up some of the problems at center (like with past teams).
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

For what its worth, ESPN gives us an 81.8% chance of beating SBU a second time. They did a pretty good job on Thomas but then Dubar and Carlos really showed out...this time let's hope all three play well in front of hopefully a decent crowd with the students back.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wear your blue Hofstra gear if you go:

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 0668156153

Does this mean the team will also be wearing blue for the first time at home this season? If so, blue vs. red or blue vs. white?

But it's also Throwback Thursday, so they could wear white throwbacks as they've done before (those have looked nice). Or do they combine the Blue Out + Throwback Thursday and wear blue throwbacks?
Last edited by Wags on Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Quote Wags; They didn't have much at center last year, but got the 1 seed and were within a whisper of the CAA finals. Four years ago, Kante was a huge reason they won the tourney title, but he was a forward playing with four guards and Schute was basically just a role-playing center. And that team didn't have a bench, either, and still won it all. Not saying better play at the 5 wouldn't help, but I don't think it's their primary issue this year. If a different approach were taken with Thomas and they got more efficiency there, it would greatly cover up some of the problems at center (like with past teams)

If you're referencing the NCAA team of 2020 should mention how that team went to the FT line 15+ times a game and this one only 9. Just sayin...
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:32 am Quote Wags; They didn't have much at center last year, but got the 1 seed and were within a whisper of the CAA finals. Four years ago, Kante was a huge reason they won the tourney title, but he was a forward playing with four guards and Schute was basically just a role-playing center. And that team didn't have a bench, either, and still won it all. Not saying better play at the 5 wouldn't help, but I don't think it's their primary issue this year. If a different approach were taken with Thomas and they got more efficiency there, it would greatly cover up some of the problems at center (like with past teams)

If you're referencing the NCAA team of 2020 should mention how that team went to the FT line 15+ times a game and this one only 9. Just sayin...
Yes, like I said, different approach - including FTA - instead of the top option chucking 15 3s and only making 3 or 4.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Wags - Spot on points about Fritz - he's doing fine - knows how to play. The problem as you point out are the perimeter players not containing their men putting Fritz in a compromising position. That and of course Sunday unable to supply a competent backup for 10 or so minutes.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:31 pm Wags - Spot on points about Fritz - he's doing fine - knows how to play. The problem as you point out are the perimeter players not containing their men putting Fritz in a compromising position. That and of course Sunday unable to supply a competent backup for 10 or so minutes.
Sort of like when someone instigates something and the refs always catch the retaliator instead of the instigator (eh, maybe not like that, but the first analogy I thought of). Bigs are often blamed for fouling too much on their own (and certainly, that happens sometimes too) when they're sometimes coming over to help as the last line of defense to protect the rim because the perimeter D broke down in front of them.

Fritz could rebound a little more, but offensively, he's usually very efficient. Yes, he should be when he's only shooting in and around the rim but efficiency is efficiency and he's normally shooting a very high percentage (better than missing 3 after 3). He really won the Delaware game for them even with 4 PF and held to 25 mins in that one. If they can help him stay on the floor by keeping him from not having to try to clean up breakdowns elsewhere and if he can raise his production to the level we saw vs. Delaware (and against Wright State), he can be extremely helpful.
Wags

Post by Wags »

And Fritz is doing this too:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2024/1/31/at ... -week.aspx

(now if they each were calling the games they were playing in that would really be unique and impressive!). :lol:
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra -7.5
O/U 141.5
Equates to a 75-67 win.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'll be happy with any score that has us winning lol.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Our record against the spread has been woeful...think we have been favored in every CAA games this far and we are .500.
As triplec says, we'll take the win, by any score!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah HUSID we both can agree that beating SB is very high on our lists of must wins. Very satisfying!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/202 ... fstra.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Stony Brook at Hofstra."

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadca ... ?id=484935 will have statistics.

A Northeastern fan said that Joe Pridgen left the team. He had 12 points without missing and 7 rebounds against us. It leaves Chris Doherty as their only player averaging at least 4 rebounds. We host them on February 17.

Edit: We are starting our usual starters. Stony Brook is starting Aaron Clarke (guard, 12.9 points), Dean Noll (guard, 9.8 points), Tyler Stephenson-Moore (guard, 14.8 points), Andre Snoddy (guard, 5.8 points, 6.7 rebounds), and Chris Maidoh (forward, 8.0 points, 6.3 rebounds). They have eight regulars, and one borderline regular.

https://www.flohoops.com/live/87661 has video.

Edit: Stony Brook shoots field goals .429, twos .484, threes .336, and free throws .709.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Hofstra double teaming a kid averaging 8 pts a game in the post to leave a hot 3pt shooting team wide open on the perimeter is peak Hofstra this season. Just really lousy and uncharacteristic from what we've become accustomed to from this program
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

dutchPride86 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:24 pm Hofstra double teaming a kid averaging 8 pts a game in the post to leave a hot 3pt shooting team wide open on the perimeter is peak Hofstra this season. Just really lousy and uncharacteristic from what we've become accustomed to from this program

Getting the ball with 50 seconds left in the half, perfect 2 for 1 spot... zero urgency and throw it away right at 30 seconds wasting the 2 for 1 chance. Getting comical how poorly they're playing and the level of the mistakes they're making