MBB Game 19 @ Stony Brook, Jan 22 (Mon), 9 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
JoeyBagODonuts1

Re: MBB Game 19 @ Stony Brook, Jan 22 (Mon), 9 PM

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

Wags wrote:Wearing the yellows for the first time this season.
Hopefully the last. They're fugly! Jay Wright and his Italian tailor would not approve.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

It's pretty pathetic that down 5 at the half is progress. Tyler's confidence is completely shot, Sunday can't play, JC can't shoot, Fritz can't stay out of foul trouble. Team is what it is at this point, at least felt like effort was there for the most part?
Wags

Post by Wags »

JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:44 pm
Hopefully the last. They're fugly! Jay Wright and his Italian tailor would not approve.

I have always liked those. Reminds me of the PFC days. Don't like them on the road, and prefer the whites at home, but I would like them for about three home games a year. Just nice to see any yellow again for them since they completely removed that, going strictly blue and white home or away normally.
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:51 pm It's pretty pathetic that down 5 at the half is progress. Tyler's confidence is completely shot, Sunday can't play, JC can't shoot, Fritz can't stay out of foul trouble. Team is what it is at this point, at least felt like effort was there for the most part?
The one time in weeks that they finally get off to a really good start and Stony Brook closes the half 33-17 (including a 22-2 run) after that.
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

Wags wrote:
JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:44 pm

I have always liked those. Reminds me of the PFC days. Don't like them on the road, and prefer the whites at home, but I would like them for about three home games a year. Just nice to see any yellow again for them since they completely removed that, going strictly blue and white home or away normally.
Maybe it's the contrast of the gold with the Stony Brook red hurting my eyes (the play of our team is also hurting my eyes)

Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
Wags

Post by Wags »

JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:14 pm
Wags wrote:
JoeyBagODonuts1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:44 pm Hopefully the last. They're fugly! Jay Wright and his Italian tailor would not approve.

Maybe it's the contrast of the gold with the Stony Brook red hurting my eyes (the play of our team is also hurting my eyes)

I would say just think of it as an old Rockets-Lakers game at The Forum except the level of play reminds no one of that.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dubar 20 pts on 9 shots
Thomas 7 pts on 12 shots

How many times do we have to see this story before they change the script?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Up five with a bit over a minute left, they somehow turn it over 3-on-1, and at the other end, give up a bucket 2-on-1, to cut it to three.
Cards

Post by Cards »

They pull it out for a road W. Certainly, a better second half than the first (what else is new).

Dubar plays very well once again. Carlos ends up with a good game as well. TT just seems lost or playing hurt?

At this stage, I'll take any Ws, especially on the road.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We win because Dubar and Carlos with efficient games
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Plotnikof needs to get more involved in offense
He needs to take some of those shots from Thomas
8points on 5 shots
If he gives us 16 on 10 Im good with that
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Big gut check win. Tyler's confidence is completely shot, and Sunday is just about completely unplayable, but can't fault the effort level at all tonight imo.

Dubar truly coming into his own, and JC made just enough plays in the 2nd half.

Team obviously has no shot at beating the big boys in the league if Tyler can't dig himself out of this funk, but live to fight another day and hope Tyler can find it.

Speedy weighing playing 4 guards and Dubar (and giving up any hope at rebounding) vs giving Sunday ANY minutes gonna be interesting to see going forward. Fritz can't stay out of foul trouble to save his life is what it is at this point
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:16 am They pull it out for a road W. Certainly, a better second half than the first (what else is new).

Dubar plays very well once again. Carlos ends up with a good game as well. TT just seems lost or playing hurt?
If he’s hurt, then he was hurt in all of the other games he played similarly. This is what he is. Capable of great stretches or great games here or there but woefully inconsistent and mainly inefficient. The faster they make Dubar the primary option and limit Thomas to complementing him, the better off they’ll be.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:24 am The faster they make Dubar the primary option and limit Thomas to complementing him, the better off they’ll be.
Including free throws, Dubar attempted more points worth of shots than Thomas. Thomas attempted 10 twos and 6 threes, which is 38. Dubar attempted 7 twos, 7 threes, and 7 free throws, which is 42.

We won 80-74. Our offense is good enough to score 2 points in 7:38 and still average 2 points per minute. I have to praise Andre Snoddy for scoring 17 points, shooting 8-9 and free throws 1-2, and getting 11 rebounds, but Dubar was easily player of the game. Here are the top three from the Analytics tab:

Efficiency: Dubar 37, Snoddy 27, Carlos 24
Game Score: Dubar 28.4, Carlos 20.3, Snoddy 18.2
Net Points: Dubar +12.5, Carlos +7.1, Noll +5.2

Each team had two players with positive net points, including Snoddy's +1.7. Net points is negative for all players combined.

When Dubar scored and had a chance for a three-point play after the commercial, I said that if he made the free throw, we would have all of our players with points that are a multiple of 3, which must be rare that late in a game. Dubar missed that free throw to stay at 26.

Dubar became the third player from 2020 to now to have at least 30 points, at least 11 rebounds, at least 3 assists, and made at least 78 percent of his field goals. Purdue's Zach Edey did that nine days ago. Carlos had 23 points, 6 assists, and shot well. Thomas scored 11 because he did not shoot well, but he had 16 attempts, which is better than when he shot poorly with 26 attempts. He had 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and led all players with a +/- of +12, and we got outscored 6-0 in his 3:15 on the bench, during which time Robinson played. Robinson had a +/- of -12 in 5 minutes, which is hard to do. He shot 0-2, and his only positive contribution was 1 assist. It's good that after shooting 1-6 in the first half, Thomas shot better in more attempts in the second half at 4-10. We played without a forward for 14 minutes, during which time Washington played. Plotnikov played 38 minutes. After making a three 34 seconds in, it took him 34:17 until there was 5:09 left to score again, and he ended with a three-point play to score 8. Stony Brook had more bench points 19 to 2, and Washington had our bench points. Stony Brook attempted 5 more field goals and 6 more free throws, but we won because we shot field goals better. Stony Brook shot threes 5-22 including Tyler Stephenson-Moore's 1-7, so the Tyler on each team combined to shoot threes 2-13.

https://caasports.com/news/2024/1/22/me ... -half.aspx is titled "#CAAHoops MBB Recap – Jan. 22 – Hofstra Powers Past Stony Brook with Big Second Half."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziyr94_86RI is highlights.

We shot field goals well, and had a great ratio of 17 assists to 9 turnovers. Making two-thirds of our free throws and getting outrebounded by 4 are bad, but not terrible. In the first half, 61.3 percent of our field goal attempts were threes, and we made 5 of 19. In the second half, exactly 32 percent of our field goal attempts were threes, and we made 5 of 8.

Edit: https://gohofstra.com/news/2024/1/22/me ... brook.aspx is our recap titled "Dubar, Carlos Lead Pride To CAA Road Win At Stony Brook." It says "Dubar moved into 35th-place on the Hofstra career scoring list with 1,096 points." We ended a six game road losing streak. The attendance was 3,027.

https://stonybrookathletics.com/news/20 ... fstra.aspx is Stony Brook's recap titled "Men's Basketball Falls in Battle of Long Island to Hofstra."
Last edited by EvanJ on Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:50 am
Wags wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:24 am The faster they make Dubar the primary option and limit Thomas to complementing him, the better off they’ll be.
Including free throws, Dubar attempted more points worth of shots than Thomas. Thomas attempted 10 twos and 6 threes, which is 38. Dubar attempted 7 twos, 7 threes, and 7 free throws, which is 42.
The only efficiency measurements I care about when looking at the two of them:

Dubar going a perfect 7/7 from 2 and 4/7 from 3, taking and making high-percentage shots while getting to the line 7 times (even though he missed three FTs, which he can't do on only 7 FTA, but that was his only issue tonight).

Thomas going 4/10 from 2 and 1/6 from 3 while being allergic to taking a single FTA the entire game yet again.

It's been a consistent pattern for most of the season. The jury is no longer out. In fact, the debate was already over long before tonight. Dubar is by far the more efficient player this season and as long as it stays that way, the offense needs to be geared that way going forward. Waiting for Thomas to get hot after he hurts the team offensively is not a workable strategy. Get the ball more to Dubar and less to Thomas. Let Thomas get his own in the flow of the offense without being a focal point any longer. It's otherwise stubborn malpractice at this point.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

love the uni's.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I like the uniforms as well. At least they're distinct. The blues look like a hundred other team's
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wins against SB are generally up there with the best wins for us just love to beat them. I couldn't catch this game but can anyone comment on TT shots in regard to the D they played against him. Did they try to double him or were they just defending him one on one? I look at his stats and still can find somewhat of a silver lining with 7 boards three assists and only 1 turnover. Of course I realize everyone will reference his shooting percentage woes I get it. Dubar is really playing at another level game in and game out. I wonder how many people here thought Dubar was capable of having the year that he's having.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Physically if he is 6ft8 as the program says then he has an NBA body
He is starting to remind me of Tobias Harris
Tobias is an inch taller and probably 20 lbs heavier but they seem to have similar games
Am wrong in this comparison
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Good comparison, Stu. I remember watching Harris back in HS when he put up 75 points against Riverhead. :shock: