MBB Game 17 @ Campbell, Jan 13 (Sat), 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB Game 17 @ Campbell, Jan 13 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:43 pm I can’t seem to find the post game interview - has anyone seen it?
There doesn't seem to be one. Maybe there were no words after losing that one.

One good note: Dubar established a new career high in rebounds for already the second time in four CAA games this year, with 14 at Campbell. He had 12 in the CAA opener against Charleston.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Can you blame Speedy for hiding after this one? He's running out of coach one liners about "I'm proud of my guys" they came back from a deficit and fought and played a gritty second half. So I wonder if they had won this one would that have been part of his post presser? Words really can't describe how disappointed a lot of us must be after this loss and maybe we over accessed what this team really is!!
danbenjamin888

Post by danbenjamin888 »

How can we expect to win when our starting point guard goes 1 for 12, another starter scores zero and we go 6 for 11 from the line and the other team goes 18-21. Every game, our shots are usually from 30 feet out while the opposition is taking layups and dunks. How much can we expect from Thomas and Dubar. And every team that we play knows that too.
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

is JC hurt? Something going on with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I waited a day to chime in. The last two road games against mediocre to poor teams shows this teams lack of focus and energy.
Both games we fall behind then comeback to take a lead.
What happens next is telling. we failed to get separation from us and our opponent
The score is either tied or a couple of possesions for the next 5 minutes. Then in the waining moments of the game our offense gets bogged down and we have no legs left to play shutdown D.
As of now this team is not deep as other than a few players is there another reliable player game in or game out we can rely upon.
The players we have no have to look in the mirror and take some responsibility for the mess we are in. It starts Thursday against Hampton
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:57 am I waited a day to chime in. The last two road games against mediocre to poor teams shows this teams lack of focus and energy.
Both games we fall behind then comeback to take a lead.
What happens next is telling. we failed to get separation from us and our opponent
The score is either tied or a couple of possesions for the next 5 minutes. Then in the waining moments of the game our offense gets bogged down and we have no legs left to play shutdown D.
As of now this team is not deep as other than a few players is there another reliable player game in or game out we can rely upon.
The players we have no have to look in the mirror and take some responsibility for the mess we are in. It starts Thursday against Hampton
Aside from the GOOD start against Delaware, it's been the same thing in all four CAA games.

Took the lead late against Charleston but couldn't finish that one because (like at Northeastern and at Campbell) they expended too much energy to overcome a bad start and finally take a second-half lead. How about depending energy and showing intensity at the start so they don't have to overcome that in the first place or so they can hold on down the stretch? Like...

Being up 10-3 against Delaware (and up 12 at the half), which saved them in that one. Had they been down 10-3 in that game, they'd probably be 0-4 and tied with Hampton in league play right now.

They're not good enough to afford bad starts and just turn it on when they want. They have too many deficiencies in certain areas (no true #1, lack of depth, lack of very skilled size outside of Dubar, lack of ball movement and player movement in their approach, don't consistently shoot well) to do that. They have to, as a group, staff and players, look in the mirror (as you said) and be honest about who they are and what they are as a basketball team, play to their strengths, avoid playing to their weaknesses, and try to work together to become greater than the sum of their parts. That's the only way they'll have a shot at getting a good seed and have a legit hope of contending in DC after this bad 1-3 start.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

A few random thoughts:

We are taking WAY too many low-percentage shots. Live by the three, die by the three. We are dying.

That said, we only lost our last two games by four points. A better shot here or there, and we would be in third place at 3-1, rather than next-to-last at 1-3.

https://caasports.com/standings.aspx?standings=207

The NCAA has really screwed mid-majors by limiting their participation in the NCAAT and NIT to league tournament champions. This means our entire season boils down to three games in March. Right now, Drexel and Charleston are far ahead of anyone else. Does anyone expect them to falter in the CAAT?

I would still like to see us do as well as we can in the regular season. However, right now, I do not see us winning the CAAT.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I’m not thrilled with no post game - it’s the only insight us fans are afforded from anyone on the team. I know most is coach talk, but I appreciate the frustration after the NE game and I would like to see what the reaction was after this game. Shouldn’t duck the camera (we the iPhone in the hallway anyway) because you are mad. Bush league in my book. We pay to watch them play in person or on TV - least they could do is give us an immediate reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Pride97 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:33 pm I’m not thrilled with no post game - it’s the only insight us fans are afforded from anyone on the team. I know most is coach talk, but I appreciate the frustration after the NE game and I would like to see what the reaction was after this game. Shouldn’t duck the camera (we the iPhone in the hallway anyway) because you are mad. Bush league in my book. We pay to watch them play in person or on TV - least they could do is give us an immediate reaction.

100% agree. I know we rarely get anything interesting from these fake pressers and I'm sure Speedy was furious after the loss, but once you set the precedent of doing these after every game you can't duck it after arguably the worst loss (and inarguably worst stretch) of your young coaching career. Really bad look.

Leadership and accountability are 2 intangible areas where the team seems to be really lacking right now
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:33 pm I’m not thrilled with no post game
This could very easily have a double meaning (on and off the floor).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:28 pm We are taking WAY too many low-percentage shots. Live by the three, die by the three. We are dying.
However, this is not a sudden thing. This was very early on in OOC play and they continued have to take the same approach overall, now four games into conference play. Maybe, yesterday was finally an adjustment though for Thomas and Dubar. After Thomas took 15 3s in each of the first three CAA games, he went 3/8 from 3 and 10/22 overall. He's still mostly allergic to seeing the FT line (no FTA against yesterday), but that shot distribution and even shot making from 2 and 3 is okay (not great, but fine). Dubar yesterday, was also 2/3 from 3 and 8/14 overall. Would still like to see more shots from him and fewer from Thomas, since like yesterday, and as I've been saying all season, Dubar is considerably more efficient. I don't know how many times it has to be said, but yet AGAIN yesterday - Thomas: 23 pts on 22 shots, Dubar, almost the same (21 pts) on 14 shots. Shift a few of those to Dubar, maybe even just one of those, in a one-point loss and they likely win. But, bottom line, Dubar and Thomas were both a lot less reliant on the 3 yesterday, so maybe we'll see more of that going foward. And Carlos frankly shouldn't be shooting unless he's wide open every time. His first thought should always to do what he does best and distribute.
Jojogunne wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:28 pm That said, we only lost our last two games by four points. A better shot here or there, and we would be in third place at 3-1, rather than next-to-last at 1-3.
Somewhat reasonable to take this positive view of it but the reality is that those two losses by four points were against two teams that had Hofstra played a full 40 minutes the way they played in rallying from big deficits in each of those games, they would have -- and probably should have -- won both of those by double digits. So, if they're doing that in the "easier" games, what happens if they do the same in the tougher ones (and there are a lot of those ahead)? Will they even be competitive in those rather than have chances to win late (like at Northeastern and Campbell) if they continue to dig big early holes?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Regarding the lack of a postgame interview yesterday, we shouldn't assume that was done on purpose without knowing for sure. Speedy has normally been accountable as far as that goes, so let's see what happens next time after a road loss (hoping there won't be another this year BUT from what we've seen so far...). Speaking of which, they had been very good on the road in the CAA in recent years, so this is already a sudden departure from that this year.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:15 pm Regarding the lack of a postgame interview yesterday, we shouldn't assume that was done on purpose
So, sure enough, there WAS a postgame interview. Just as we want the team to learn from their mistakes, perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to judge here.
https://youtu.be/E3v28ctg8H0?si=NJ9LuiKEuceW3xfI
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Thanks for finding Wags. They usually post it within and few hours and given the mounting bad losses, I started piecing things together. Very happy to be wrong. All I ask is that we get something after each game.

dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Great find Wags, thanks! Now for the next thing to get on the program for then.... watching UNCW on cbssn playing in a packed arena FULL of students, Charleston has every game sold out now. Its just so sad Hofstra can't get anyone to come to the Mack
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:58 pm Great find Wags, thanks! Now for the next thing to get on the program for then.... watching UNCW on cbssn playing in a packed arena FULL of students, Charleston has every game sold out now. Its just so sad Hofstra can't get anyone to come to the Mack
I think it's just the area. There are so many more options including a lot of pro sports teams not that far from Hempstead that Hofstra is competing with and that makes it very difficult. In places like Wilmington or Charleston, where that's lacking, it's easier for people to rally around the college men's hoops teams in those areas.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We seem to be giving away tickets at will to almost anyone that's interested. Kids that are home from college etc etc etc I wonder if we were a top 20 team could we generate enough interest to have consistently LARGE CROWDS?
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 am We seem to be giving away tickets at will to almost anyone that's interested. Kids that are home from college etc etc etc I wonder if we were a top 20 team could we generate enough interest to have consistently LARGE CROWDS?
Of course, because then the bandwagon fans around here would suddenly come out of the woodwork. But that's what it takes because the base just isn't as large or as robust as in places like Charleston and Wilmington, where those fans are always there regardless. If becoming a Top 20 team happened here, those bandwagon fans would jump right off the bandwagon again if the team then started to return to its current level and the attendance here would return to what we see now.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Pride97 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:33 pm I’m not thrilled with no post game - it’s the only insight us fans are afforded from anyone on the team. I know most is coach talk, but I appreciate the frustration after the NE game and I would like to see what the reaction was after this game. Shouldn’t duck the camera (we the iPhone in the hallway anyway) because you are mad. Bush league in my book. We pay to watch them play in person or on TV - least they could do is give us an immediate reaction.

If this is true I am disappointed...you win, you lose, you do the same thing. Face up to it...Look at the Dallas coach McCarthy last night. Do you think he wanted to face the media and the music?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 am We seem to be giving away tickets at will to almost anyone that's interested. Kids that are home from college etc etc etc I wonder if we were a top 20 team could we generate enough interest to have consistently LARGE CROWDS?
In the Pecora era we rountinely drew great crowds...even in Cassara's first year when Charles Jenkins was a senior...seems like the air has come out of the balloon since then.
I blame alot on dropping football. Seems we're not getting the same kind of students who used to pack the Lions Den...no more, or at least for now.
Another problem is our school calendar....the student are gone for what six weeks? Right in the meat of the CAA schedule.