MBB Game 17 @ Campbell, Jan 13 (Sat), 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: MBB Game 17 @ Campbell, Jan 13 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID80 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:59 am
Pride97 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:33 pm I’m not thrilled with no post game - it’s the only insight us fans are afforded from anyone on the team. I know most is coach talk, but I appreciate the frustration after the NE game and I would like to see what the reaction was after this game. Shouldn’t duck the camera (we the iPhone in the hallway anyway) because you are mad. Bush league in my book. We pay to watch them play in person or on TV - least they could do is give us an immediate reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If this is true I am disappointed...you win, you lose, you do the same thing. Face up to it...Look at the Dallas coach McCarthy last night. Do you think he wanted to face the media and the music?
No need to be disappointed. Somebody forgot to post Speedy's interview, which was clearly conducted after the game. It went up yesterday:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2024/1/13/me ... pbell.aspx
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Good to hear....Speedy is a stand up guy!
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

This analogy may be a bit of a stretch, but bare with me here...

I'm a long suffering Jets fan, but watching the Eagles tonight I get a very similar vibe to what it's felt like watching Hofstra the last few games. I hope I'm wrong, just feels like something intangible broke, and when you listen to Speedys now posted comments about the lack of leadership, have to wonder if players have what it takes to dig themselves out. Eagles certainly didnt...
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:21 am This analogy may be a bit of a stretch, but bare with me here...

I'm a long suffering Jets fan, but watching the Eagles tonight I get a very similar vibe to what it's felt like watching Hofstra the last few games. I hope I'm wrong, just feels like something intangible broke, and when you listen to Speedys now posted comments about the lack of leadership, have to wonder if players have what it takes to dig themselves out. Eagles certainly didnt...
The Eagles were 10-1 but it was a mirage: 7 wins by 7 or less, two in OT. The lone loss wasn't against a good team (the Jets, sorry lol). Biggest win (only twice) was by 14. Even at 11-6 before tonight, they were only +5 for the season.

Hofstra struggled to beat High Point, Iona, and Delaware. The other wins, the competition wasn't so great: St. Joseph's (LI), Buffalo, Wright State, South Florida, and Norfolk State. They had their shot against Charleston but didn't get it done. Likewise, against every good or tough test OOC. So, they haven't really proven much yet. Agree, it's concerning that 17 games in, they're searching for leadership. That's pretty late to be looking for that, but 14 CAA games is still the bulk of the league schedule. Still plenty of time left and it seems like there will be a lot of parity and movement throughout the league (except for maybe Charleston and Drexel, but maybe for them too), but very much still to prove.
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

This is Speedy’s first real crisis as head coach. The offensive scheme is a failure. A good coach evaluates the situation and makes changes, even radical ones like changing the starting point guard, if that’s the problem. Speedy has often referred to JC as the team’s leader. Is it time to put Robinson in charge of the offense? Is he ready?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Mark19th wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:47 am This is Speedy’s first real crisis as head coach. The offensive scheme is a failure. A good coach evaluates the situation and makes changes, even radical ones like changing the starting point guard, if that’s the problem. Speedy has often referred to JC as the team’s leader. Is it time to put Robinson in charge of the offense? Is he ready?

Carlos is not the problem...did you see what our offense looked like when Robinson played a good part of the second half? Pathetic, no movement whatsover...
I think we need to start Plotnikov over Washington...gives us more energy and height. God knows we can use more rebounding as well.
Mark19th

Post by Mark19th »

There may not be a solution this year…just an underachieving team. Here’s a question: Same players, Mihalich is coach. Same results?

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:26 am
Mark19th wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:47 am This is Speedy’s first real crisis as head coach. The offensive scheme is a failure. A good coach evaluates the situation and makes changes, even radical ones like changing the starting point guard, if that’s the problem. Speedy has often referred to JC as the team’s leader. Is it time to put Robinson in charge of the offense? Is he ready?

Carlos is not the problem...did you see what our offense looked like when Robinson played a good part of the second half? Pathetic, no movement whatsover...
I think we need to start Plotnikov over Washington...gives us more energy and height. God knows we can use more rebounding as well.
It's easy to make JC the scapegoat after we lose to a team we clearly should have beaten. Yeah his 1-12, 1-6 jumps out at you even his D wasn't great but remember this he's scoring 10 points a game leads the conference in assists by far at 108 and his assists to turnover ratio is 2.2. Did I mention that he also rebounds 3.6 a game. We all like Robinson and sure he got 23 minutes against Campbell but he's not ready to jump into JC's shoes just yet. Remember Amare Marshall getting 20+ points against Purdue as a freshmen when Estrada was hurt then he had a bad game starting against UMASS. Robinson is going to get his chance but not just yet.

I like the idea HUSID of starting Plotnikov I think this is very warranted but at the same time know how athletic Bryce is but any of these guys that start NEED TO SCORE!! This is important.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I like the Plotnikov idea - certainly have nothing to lose! KJR will get his time, just not yet.

Looks like Barrouk has been relegated to the Tomasco status - practice player.

What happened to Farmer? Does he show poorly in practice? Did staff expect more in his few game appearances?

Disappointed so far with SS. Slow on D and has poor hands. I'm concerned because I'm not sure those skills are teachable. I'm sure he can get better, but will those items always hold him back?? Meaning I think we'll be looking for another starting center next season.

As others have said, I think the staff HAD to be counting on Wilmoth to provide a boost this season. Assuming he is as talented as we think/hope, he would have been a key player.

Have not recently posted due to "login" issues. All fixed.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also is Parnell redshirting or is he injured
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:23 pm Looks like Barrouk has been relegated to the Tomasco status - practice player.
Disappointing since, remember, after the Princeton game, Speedy said this of Barrouk:

“Barrouk was solid all preseason. I probably should have got him in [during] the first half. It kind of just slipped my mind. I actually apologized to him at halftime and I got him in there [for] the second half. He’s going to have a big role here this season.”

I said in the preseason that Plotnikov needed to be more involved and a major contributor for this team to grow. Unfortunately, being hampered by injury early on stunted his own growth this year, but from the start, I never understood the faith in Washington as a starter. He's a good spark at times off the bench and a useful piece, but I always thought relying on him as a starter was putting too much on him and that Plotnikov, now healthy, should be part of the mix a lot more than he's been. Maybe Speedy & staff have already recognized the same since Plotnikov did get a season-high 28 minutes while Washington only had 12 minutes last game at Campbell. And he also gave Robinson 23 minutes (one short of his season high at GW). Minutes are really what usually matters, not so much who starts. However, given this team's big Achilles heal with bad starts, maybe if Plotnikov is going to get those kinds of minutes over Washington going forward anyway, maybe he should start too, to possibly give a little boost early in games and hopefully help the team get off to better starts (not that the poor starts by any stretch at all have all been Washington's fault).
Last edited by Wags on Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojo I like that you're not panicking just yet?? Lol
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Look IDK about Barrouk or Parnell but one of us should make it our business to find out. I think Parnell is being red-shirted but as for Farmer he had a very tough game against COC defensively which I think led to his riding the bench.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Agree, Carlos isn't perfect but there isn't a better starting PG option on this team by far. He just needs to be reeled in with his shot selection and should always focus on being pass-first. This again goes to the team as a whole knowing what it is and playing to its strengths, starting with the PG running the show. Just like Thomas shouldn't be taking 15 3s a game when he's cold, Carlos shouldn't be taking 12 mostly forced shots, half of them from 3. He should be distributing, which he does well and take the occasional 3, jumper from inside the arc, or driving only when it's there for him.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:30 pm
Jojo I like that you're not panicking just yet?? Lol
8-)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:25 pm

Agree, Carlos isn't perfect but there isn't a better starting PG option on this team by far. He just needs to be reeled in with his shot selection and should always focus on being pass-first. This again goes to the team as a whole knowing what it is and playing to its strengths, starting with the PG running the show. Just like Thomas shouldn't be taking 15 3s a game when he's cold, Carlos shouldn't be taking 12 mostly forced shots, half of them from 3. He should be distributing, which he does well and take the occasional 3, jumper from inside the arc, or driving only when it's there for him.
It seems to me that Carlos takes a lot of shots when there are only a few second left, after his teammates have had their chance.

He's one of our few players who can take the ball to the hoop. I'd like to see him do more of that.
Wags

Post by Wags »

A great example here that when we have certain opinions about what we only see on the outside, maybe we should temper them until we see results later because we don't always know what's happening in private. In this case, this is great coaching by Speedy and I place it in this thread because of what happened before the Campbell game and what happened in that game (as detailed in the link below), and what has happened since:

https://collegeinsider.com/contributor/ ... -of-change
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes this is a great article about situations we aren't privy to. Thanks for sharing.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Great article, props to Speedy and JC for giving us an inside look.