MBB Game 17 @ Campbell, Jan 13 (Sat), 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 17 @ Campbell, Jan 13 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

On Saturday we take on the Campbell Fighting Camels on their home court in Buies Creek, NC. Too bad Desure Buie is no longer on our team. He probably would have enjoyed playing there.

I'm not sure, but this may be the first time we face the Campbell in MBB.

The Camels are 7-9 overall and 1-2 in the CAA. They defeated Hampton, but lost to NC A&T and Delaware.

Anthony Dell'Orso leads low-scoring Campbell with 17 ppg.

The game will be on FloHoops.
Wags

Re: MBB Game 17 @ Campbell, Jan 13 (Sat), 2 PM

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:03 pm On Saturday we take on the Campbell Fighting Camels
One of the better nicknames in college hoops. The Flying Dutchmen vs. the Fighting Camels would've been a great name matchup. Oh well.

Jojogunne wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:03 pm on their home court in Buies Creek, NC. Too bad Desure Buie is no longer on our team. He probably would have enjoyed playing there.
Ha, true! He could've taken a picture by a creek in that town with a sign that read, "MY creek!" while eating a bowl of Campbell's soup.

Jojogunne wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:03 pm I'm not sure, but this may be the first time we face Campbell in MBB.
You are correct.

Hopefully, the team won't be travel-weary for this game - it's over 700 miles from Boston to Buies Creek and they'll be tipping off about 41 hours after the Northeastern game ended.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Would like to see a shakeup in this game play it like a seniors night where players that don't normally play start the game. Lord knows we need an eye opener now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:12 am Would like to see a shakeup in this game play it like a seniors night where players that don't normally play start the game. Lord knows we need an eye opener now.
A Senior Day situation is exactly what I was thinking when I suggested in the Northeastern game thread that they play the bench until the first MTO before the starters come in after that (hopefully, with renewed focus and energy). I think there may be other problems (lack of depth among the starting five besides the bench, Thomas not a true #1 and having too much of a green light, the team overall being too much of a finesse team and not physical enough, among others). Time will tell in January and February on that, but at THIS point, if we take what Speedy said about simply lacking energy and stating flat, and not respecting Northeastern, and Thomas waiting too long to sort of choose too late to play more like he's capable of and bringing the team along with him - if those are truly the primary issues - then benching the starters at the beginning on Saturday to send the message about those things would be, I think, an effective way to do that. And it's the perfect opportunity, where you may not get hurt doing something like that at Campbell as opposed to not wanting to try something like that at Charleston or at Drexel, where a bad start with bench players could bury you for the rest of the game. And heck, the way they've started numerous times with the starters anyway this year (including last night), you may not be losing much in the first 4-5 minutes anyway.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Lets be realistic on this team we always see in the first few possessions Tyler going into his one on one routine almost always trying to shoot a three over a screen and if he misses they will keep repeating this a lot of times. What about going into the low post to Dubar or Fritz and try to set the tone down low before we start chucking the inevitable three's from Thomas or Carlos driving the lane trying to score or pickup a foul. Does it always have to be the Tyler Thomas show. In a game where we're expected to win we can experiment. Agree with that.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Who should be on the floor Sunday, Washington(Barrouk), Robinson at the point, PLOTNIKOV and Farmer. How does that sound.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 pm Lets be realistic on this team we always see in the first few possessions Tyler going into his one on one routine almost always trying to shoot a three over a screen and if he misses they will keep repeating this a lot of times. What about going into the low post to Dubar or Fritz and try to set the tone down low before we start chucking the inevitable three's from Thomas or Carlos driving the lane trying to score or pickup a foul. Does it always have to be the Tyler Thomas show. In a game where we're expected to win we can experiment. Agree with that.
We did open the NE game with a dunk for Dubar, but the rest of the half was a horror show.
I don't like this pattern of falling way behind, catching up and even leading then falling behind and losing...we need to figure something out FAST.
Problem is, once again there is not much on our bench to go all in on a second team substitution.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:30 pm We did open the NE game with a dunk for Dubar, but the rest of the half was a horror show.
Still goes down as another bad start (allowing the next 10 after Dubar's game-opening dunk), just as the Delaware game goes down as a good start when they scored 10 straight after Delaware opened that game with a 3. And of course, the next Northeastern run made it an extended bad start. There is no reason at all they should have allowed two runs like that (10 straight, and later, 17 straight) in the same game - to any CAA team, even Charleston or Drexel - let alone to Northeastern in the same half.

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:30 pm I don't like this pattern of falling way behind, catching up and even leading then falling behind and losing...we need to figure something out FAST.
Problem is, once again there is not much on our bench to go all in on a second team substitution.
There isn't, but it wouldn't be to really rely on them much, but merely to throw them in there for the first few minutes as a message sender to the starters.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I just hate to play the what ifs but the transfer right now of Marshall I can't help but wonder where we would be right now if he was playing here. I know water under the bridge but with only getting offense from 3 players we need to come up with solutions. We all remember Speedy saying offense I don't WORRY about that we have shooters here or whatever his coach talk lines are. Well now it's time to be concerned.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:31 pm I just hate to play the what ifs but the transfer right now of Marshall I can't help but wonder where we would be right now if he was playing here. I know water under the bridge but with only getting offense from 3 players we need to come up with solutions. We all remember Speedy saying offense I don't WORRY about that we have shooters here or whatever his coach talk lines are. Well now it's time to be concerned.
It's not just scoring and being efficient offensively, it's also turnovers that lead to other teams' scoring. Mihalich used to say toughness is not only toughness defensively and rebounding, physicality, and going after 50/50 balls, it's also toughness offensively (making good, smart decisions offensively, playing together and with chemistry offensively, taking good care of the ball and limiting turnovers, etc.). Improving that alone would help the offense before even addressing other areas that could use improvement.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

triplec2195 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:31 pm I just hate to play the what ifs but the transfer right now of Marshall I can't help but wonder where we would be right now if he was playing here. I know water under the bridge but with only getting offense from 3 players we need to come up with solutions. We all remember Speedy saying offense I don't WORRY about that we have shooters here or whatever his coach talk lines are. Well now it's time to be concerned.

Another reason I have to believe the coaching staff was planning on Wilmoth being a major contributor this season. Just can't imagine they thought this roster as currently constructed was going to have enough size and toughness to legitimately compete.

Wilmoth's injury and Marshall's transfer also make the lack of development to date from Washington, German, Farmer, Sunday and Barrouk that much more glaring.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

HU 9.5 point favorites. ESPN lists HU as a 79.9% win factor versus Campbell.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Ouch I wonder if we will do our damnedest to make this one close??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchPride86 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:37 pm

Another reason I have to believe the coaching staff was planning on Wilmoth being a major contributor this season. Just can't imagine they thought this roster as currently constructed was going to have enough size and toughness to legitimately compete.

Wilmoth's injury and Marshall's transfer also make the lack of development to date from Washington, German, Farmer, Sunday and Barrouk that much more glaring.
All this is very true although Washington is a very experienced player with a lot of upside on both ends of the court but to get consistent scoring from him that's something else. Same holds true for German but both these guys were penciled in to be valuable bench players now they have to play entirely different roles.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/202 ... pbell.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Hofstra at Campbell." I did not find anything in it that I wanted to type here.

KenPom expects us to win 70-62 with a 77 percent chance of winning. Campbell is 321st, which is 200 spots below us.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2024.html has Campbell's statistics. It lists 12 guards, 4 forwards, and 1 center. 8 guards and 4 forwards have played this season.

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=483773 will have statistics.

Here is the CAA schedule:

Towson at Northeastern on NESN at 12:00 P.M. (https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadca ... ?id=486267 will have statistics, and it has HOF in the title from Thursday's game, but it correctly has Towson's roster before the lineups are announced)
Stony Brook at William & Mary at 1:00 P.M.
Hofstra at Campbell at 2:00 P.M. (https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=483773)
Monmouth at Charleston at 4:30 P.M. on Lowcountry CW (https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=483817)
Drexel at Elon at 7:00 P.M. (https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=484384)
Delaware at UNCW on Sunday at 4:00 P.M. on CBS Sports Network (it was scheduled for tonight at 7:00 P.M. and moved for TV)
North Carolina A&T at Hampton on Monday at 9:00 P.M. on CBS Sports Network

Before today, I wonder when the last time the CAA played at least five games all at different times.

Edit: We are starting our usual starters. Campbell is starting Gediminas Mokseckas (guard, 6.1 points), Elijah Walsh (guard, 6.9 points), Jasin Sinani (guard, 7.7 points), Anthony Dell'Orso (guard, 16.4 points, 5.8 rebounds), and Laurynas Vaistaras (forward, 9.7 points, 2.8 assists to lead them).

https://www.flohoops.com/live/89368 has video.

Northeastern looks like they are having a good week as they lead Towson 61-54 with 44 seconds left. Stony Brook played great defense to lead 32-23 at halftime at W&M.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Same starters but at least Dubar taking it to the rack and getting fouled.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:05 pm Same starters but at least Dubar taking it to the rack and getting fouled. Fritz scores on our second offensive set. Not shots for Tyler yet.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

At the 15 minute mark we are down 9-5 Thomas two shots a 2 off the mark and a three air ball. We're giving up easy baskets and they're pressing us in the back court. Teams are seeing a wounded animal!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:13 pm At the 15 minute mark we are down 9-5 Thomas two shots a 2 off the mark and a three air ball. We're giving up easy baskets and they're pressing us in the back court. Teams are seeing a wounded animal!! Tyler's second three another airball.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Our D stinks in this game Dell'Orso killing us(9). I never heard of this kid! They're up 14-10 at the 12 minute mark.