Where is Tomasco?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Where is Tomasco?

Post by HUSID80 »

Once again it looks like another player has been sent to Siberia or has left the team with no word whatsoever...like he never existed! He is still on the roster so what gives?
His absence has forced us to use Plotnikov against bigs like Soriano from St. John's. No wonder he's in fould trouble all the time.
Anyone know where he is???? Witness protection?
Polito

Re: Where is Tomasco?

Post by Polito »

PRACTICE PLAYER. As I've said from literally day 1. He's not here for anything more (no knock on him, that's his role).

I hear you though on the need for bigs, and this is where the Wilmoth injury really hurt the bench of this team. He is really needed right now. Trotting German out there to play the 5 is bananas lol - kudos to the kid for answering the call, but that's a losing strategy - they need a better plan. Unfortunately, without Wilmoth to fill in, and Tomasco not that player, they have little option.

I hope the staff addresses this better in recruiting going forward.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I thought Tomasco got injured at the same time as Plotnikov. Our bench averages 47 minutes per game counting the starters as being the same every game including when Fritz missed one game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:38 am Once again it looks like another player has been sent to Siberia or has left the team with no word whatsoever...like he never existed! He is still on the roster so what gives?
His absence has forced us to use Plotnikov against bigs like Soriano from St. John's. No wonder he's in fould trouble all the time.
Anyone know where he is???? Witness protection?
I like the comment HUSID "witness protection" that kind of sums up the secrecy surrounding the goings on with this program. Everything seems to be Top Secret you would think that if/when Wilmoth became ineligible due to illness/injury it would have been made available to us the fans but as of this date nobody knows exactly what has happened to him. It was posted that he had/needs shoulder surgery. We had a PG JUCO transfer years ago on the Buie squad all of a sudden he disappeared and never a mention as to what happened to him. This is in the same scenario as that. Maybe abducted by Aliens??
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Yes, the secrecy seems excessive and silly. Hofstra wants you to show up and be a fan but not know what's going on with the program. I'm not sure I've seen this level of secrecy with other programs,
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The school hides behind the "privacy" of the student athlete for all of these issues but if you follow St John's at all...not hard to do these days as they get 2 pages in Newsday every day, the status of one of their players (sprained ankle) is up for daily discussion.
Very different approach, certainly....
Wags

Post by Wags »

Has HU done its due diligence looking into the crazy stories about supposed 8-10 foot tall aliens at that Miami mall last week to find another big? :lol:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The NCAA would make them ineligible unless they were on a P5 school no doubt!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:08 pm Has HU done its due diligence looking into the crazy stories about supposed 8-10 foot tall aliens at that Miami mall last week to find another big? :lol:
That was Tomasco is DISGUISE!
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL I had no idea what you were talking about wags, had to look it up! That's fantastic haha

Anyone ever been through the Denver airport recently? Some great clandestine rumors all over that airport, and they play right into it - some very funny construction signs / posters apologizing for the mess and noise the lizard people are making, stuff like that - it's great lol - and I'll say, some stuff about that airport is... odd.

As far as HU, this is a HUGE issue with HU - they have no idea how bad their approach is. And it's completely unnecessary, because many other programs do it much much better. Has nothing to do with rules or laws with HU, even though that's what they hide behind, it has to do with know-how, and they don't have it.

Connecting with their fanbase and the community is a major area of improvement need for this university. They really don't get it. And I'm not talking about social media posting. This is deeper than that, and it deserves its own thread at some point frankly.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Why do we need to know why a player is out? Aren't students entitled to keep their personal medical issues private?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:21 pm Why do we need to know why a player is out? Aren't students entitled to keep their personal medical issues private?
JoJo is he out due to injury? Did he leave the team? These are questions we would like to have answered. His absense is also hurting the team.
We've had to play Plotnikov at the 5 several times this years because Sunday was not a good match up.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Geez we're not asking to be privy to his medical records all we want to know is what his availability is and if he isn't available we would like to know in general terms why. Is this too much to ask for people who spend money and have been supporting the program for a lot of years.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID80 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:24 pm Did he leave the team?
https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster has him.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

That roster was made before the season started? Are you implying that he wouldn't be there if he left? IDK if they would be on it that quick and if he puts himself into the transfer portal he would still be on the roster.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The roster was made before the season, but it can be edited at any time. He last played on November 22, and if he permanently left the team right after that, Hofstra had plenty of time to change their roster.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't think they change the roster mid season for people that leave the team for different reasons unless you know otherwise?
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm glad this came up, and I appreciate the question Jojo. This comes up nearly yearly across the zillion sports boards in the world. And it's easily debunked every time.

It's called fan engagement. You want my attendance? You want my money? Keeping me in the dark and at arms length from the program you expect me to support is not going to work. I want to be a part of it. Bring me in. And that shouldn't just be reserved for "special" people or club members. This is basic engagement stuff, and ALL fans should be prioritized.

We don't need to know a player has an upper left pec strain or a right rotator cuff tear or whatever. But we can absolutely be informed that a player is out nursing an upper body injury. How hard is it to say that, to say he's on the mend, he'll be ok, he'll be back soon, or he'll be out for a bit longer to make sure he gets to full go etc???

It's not hard at all, teams do it all the time at all levels, and it doesn't violate a single law. You know what it does do? It engages me. It lets me "in" to the program. It draws me closer. It let's me be a part of what's happening in the thing I am giving my time and money to. It fuels my care and interest.

No one would sit here and go well I don't need to know anything about my Mets, Jets, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks, Islanders, etc players, that's none of my business lol. Of course its our business - fans ($) make the thing go 'round. And these aren't 12 year old kids, they're adults. We can be informed of a thing or two within reason.

Fan and community engagement. HU needs to learn a thing or two about it. You don't run a program like a Chinese media outlet with fake news, false news, or no news, and then go "come out to support us and give to us to help us!!" You want help, value me and connect with me. Build the relationship between program and fan and watch this thing soar.

Or they can keep acting like we're all undeserving, not worthy, or fools, or a waste of time and get comfortable with being small time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:51 am I'm glad this came up, and I appreciate the question Jojo. This comes up nearly yearly across the zillion sports boards in the world. And it's easily debunked every time.

It's called fan engagement. You want my attendance? You want my money? Keeping me in the dark and at arms length from the program you expect me to support is not going to work. I want to be a part of it. Bring me in. And that shouldn't just be reserved for "special" people or club members. This is basic engagement stuff, and ALL fans should be prioritized.

We don't need to know a player has an upper left pec strain or a right rotator cuff tear or whatever. But we can absolutely be informed that a player is out nursing an upper body injury. How hard is it to say that, to say he's on the mend, he'll be ok, he'll be back soon, or he'll be out for a bit longer to make sure he gets to full go etc???

It's not hard at all, teams do it all the time at all levels, and it doesn't violate a single law. You know what it does do? It engages me. It lets me "in" to the program. It draws me closer. It let's me be a part of what's happening in the thing I am giving my time and money to. It fuels my care and interest.

No one would sit here and go well I don't need to know anything about my Mets, Jets, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks, Islanders, etc players, that's none of my business lol. Of course its our business - fans ($) make the thing go 'round. And these aren't 12 year old kids, they're adults. We can be informed of a thing or two within reason.

Fan and community engagement. HU needs to learn a thing or two about it. You don't run a program like a Chinese media outlet with fake news, false news, or no news, and then go "come out to support us and give to us to help us!!" You want help, value me and connect with me. Build the relationship between program and fan and watch this thing soar.

Or they can keep acting like we're all undeserving, not worthy, or fools, or a waste of time and get comfortable with being small time.
Amen thanks Polito for the narrative.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of what happened to Tomasco? His disappearance continues to be a cold case.