MBB Game 13 @ St. John's (UBS Arena), Dec 30 (Sat), 12 Noon

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB Game 13 @ St. John's (UBS Arena), Dec 30 (Sat), 12 Noon

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:53 am
Pride97 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:19 pm Just watched both post game pressers…

Speedy said Fritz has a back issue and is day to day and thinks he’ll be ready for Charleston. Hopefully that is true. When asked about the negatives of the game he said he has to be careful of what he says - clearly unhappy with the officiating .From the stands it looked to me like he was right to feel that way - not sure if it looked the same on TV.

For the those that are really down on Speedy as a coach, take a listen to Pitino’s thoughts - as high praise as you will hear. It’s on this page :

https://redstormsports.com/news/2023/12 ... er-hofstra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting this Pride a really nice post presser with Pitino. Of course how much of this is coach talk but it all sounded very sincere. I really like the way Pitino poses questions to his players during the presser. He actually said during that his Iona team was better then this St John's team. A real motivation tool for them to get better.
They cut these out in the clip but...

He also joked that there were 5,400 people - all, his friends and family - and 11 people from St. John's there yesterday.

And he said they would play UConn at Carnesecca next year and media guys didn't know if he was serious or not (it seemed he was).

He's always an interesting listen in his pressers. He's very honest and open, and often amusing, about things.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The story of this game was two fold...St. John's 31 TRIPS TO THE FOUL LINE....Hofstra SEVEN...and we MADE ONLY 3!!!! Horrible officiating and Thomas MISSED 3!!!
Also had to play without Jacco....had to use PLOTNIKOV against Soriano...ridiculous...Where is our other big guy???? Don't think I even saw him on the bench and why is Wilmouth hanging around in team huddles, on trips, etc....thought he need surgery....did he have it?
WHY IS EVERYTHING WITH THIS PROGRAM SO SECRETIVE?
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

HUSID80 wrote:The story of this game was two fold...St. John's 31 TRIPS TO THE FOUL LINE....Hofstra SEVEN...and we MADE ONLY 3!!!! Horrible officiating and Thomas MISSED 3!!!
Also had to play without Jacco....had to use PLOTNIKOV against Soriano...ridiculous...Where is our other big guy???? Don't think I even saw him on the bench and why is Wilmouth hanging around in team huddles, on trips, etc....thought he need surgery....did he have it?
WHY IS EVERYTHING WITH THIS PROGRAM SO SECRETIVE?
Agree I don’t know where Tomasco was - I don’t have a great sight line to the bench. But if they don’t play him in that situation, when would they?

I thought German actually did a heck of a job against Soriano giving up that much size. He played him as tough as he could and hit a few TOs. They also had him play the point on the 2nd half which was new. Pitino mentioned covering guards was a real problem for Soriano when we went small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Granted, it was at Carnesecca and a conference game tonight, but Hofstra gave St. John's a considerably tougher time than Butler did.

On FS1 after the game, they were talking about St. John's improved defense since losing to Boston College, 86-80. However, the one game they in that span when they allowed anywhere close to 80 was their win over Hofstra (winning 84-79). The others in that stretch: St. John's allowed 55 to Fordham, 66 to Xavier, 69 to UConn (in a loss), and 70 to Butler tonight.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

It was good to see them take down Butler convincingly....made me feel better about our loss and how we played them.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Eh. I left that game very unimpressed, as I have been just about all OOC. Butler win doesn't change that for me, not like they beat Kansas.

I did leave fully impressed with UBS - first time there and really liked it - hope HU plays there each year!

This team leaves a lot to be desired. Started slow, awful first half, couldn't shoot, and sloppy with the ball for 75% of the game. Dubar is a stud, so happy he has shown consistent development this year, and I thought Sunday gave good minutes - no clue why he wasn't in the last several minutes. German with the impossible task to defend Soriano, odd staff move with Sunday, and he still can't shoot with whatever he's recovering from.

KJ going to be a star, kid is a baller. Farmer got solid minutes, nothing spectacular but held his own and got great experience that game.

Washington fell off a cliff, and JC was atrocious in the first - all his points at the very end, where were those drives all game?? Too late. Pretty disappointed with JC's Jr year so far, expected more from him with Speedy. Barrouk on track for year 2 of consuming money w/out ROI. If he can't see the floor this year, needs to process out.

Thomas with the quietest 24 pts, was shocked that was his total, didn't even notice him till the end. This team still only plays well for 10 minutes a game, and they aren't good enough to do that. No idea what's going on with them, but it's pretty concerning.

Will give them credit for never giving up, and playing hard to the end. This gives them a chance most games. Was equally shocked they were so close to winning after how they poorly they all played most of the game. But if they can't figure out how to play a full 40 they aren't going anywhere, even in the CAA. I'm not interested in repeating last year - get to the dance.

And this team has a LONG way to go to do that. They better step it up and find another level in conference or they'll be filling out brackets as bystanders once again regardless of how they do in the regular season.

I admire their confidence, Speedy and his guys are saying they are on track and in position to do big things. Highly skeptical. Show me time.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:00 am Eh. I left that game very unimpressed, as I have been just about all OOC. Butler win doesn't change that for me, not like they beat Kansas.

I did leave fully impressed with UBS - first time there and really liked it - hope HU plays there each year!

This team leaves a lot to be desired. Started slow, awful first half, couldn't shoot, and sloppy with the ball for 75% of the game. Dubar is a stud, so happy he has shown consistent development this year, and I thought Sunday gave good minutes - no clue why he wasn't in the last several minutes. German with the impossible task to defend Soriano, odd staff move with Sunday, and he still can't shoot with whatever he's recovering from.

KJ going to be a star, kid is a baller. Farmer got solid minutes, nothing spectacular but held his own and got great experience that game.

Washington fell off a cliff, and JC was atrocious in the first - all his points at the very end, where were those drives all game?? Too late. Pretty disappointed with JC's Jr year so far, expected more from him with Speedy. Barrouk on track for year 2 of consuming money w/out ROI. If he can't see the floor this year, needs to process out.

Thomas with the quietest 24 pts, was shocked that was his total, didn't even notice him till the end. This team still only plays well for 10 minutes a game, and they aren't good enough to do that. No idea what's going on with them, but it's pretty concerning.

Will give them credit for never giving up, and playing hard to the end. This gives them a chance most games. Was equally shocked they were so close to winning after how they poorly they all played most of the game. But if they can't figure out how to play a full 40 they aren't going anywhere, even in the CAA. I'm not interested in repeating last year - get to the dance.

And this team has a LONG way to go to do that. They better step it up and find another level in conference or they'll be filling out brackets as bystanders once again regardless of how they do in the regular season.

I admire their confidence, Speedy and his guys are saying they are on track and in position to do big things. Highly skeptical. Show me time.
Last year:
7-6 OOC, limped into CAA play losing 4 of 5
Many of the same comments and concerns as above
16-2 and a 1 seed

This year:
7-6 OOC, limping into CAA play losing 4 of 5
Same comments and concerns as last year

The concerns may be proven right, but let's give the benefit of the doubt off of last year and let them play some CAA games first. Patience...