MBB Game 13 @ St. John's (UBS Arena), Dec 30 (Sat), 12 Noon

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 13 @ St. John's (UBS Arena), Dec 30 (Sat), 12 Noon

Post by Jojogunne »

We have a week to lick our wounds and prepare for what may be our most challenging OOC game -- the very athletic and talented St. John's Red Storm (8-3) at UBS Arena.

The game will be on FS1.

I wonder if Myles Wilmoth, the 6-9 Butler transfer, will be able to play in this game? We sure could use another big man against a team like this.
Cards

Re: MBB Game 13 @ St. John's (UBS Arena), Dec 30 (Sat), 12 Noon

Post by Cards »

I thought I recall someone saying that he needs shoulder surgery.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, can't say I'm as excited as I was to start the year to drop 70 bucks to watch this team play the crappy way it's been playing. But I'll be there with a crew, and going to hope they get their act together and actually play a full game of basketball to give themselves at least a chance at a W vs the Johnnies. They are definitely beatable, just have to see an HU team show up ready to go from the start through the final whistle.

First time in UBS for me, so that should be cool.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:01 pm We have a week to lick our wounds and prepare for what may be our most challenging OOC game -- the very athletic and talented St. John's Red Storm (8-3) at UBS Arena.

The game will be on FS1.

I wonder if Myles Wilmoth, the 6-9 Butler transfer, will be able to play in this game? We sure could use another big man against a team like this.
Wilmouth is out for the season...shoulder surgery, although he participated in the team's shoot around at Duke...strange.
Wags

Post by Wags »

If you want to get a look at St. John's tonight, they're playing UConn in Hartford on FOX right now. It's been a gritty, defensive-minded, low-scoring game since the opening tip so far. It's going to be tough to score against SJU if they play D this way at UBS and I have no idea how HU is going to deal with Soriano in the paint. He's tough in there against UConn, let alone against Fritz and company.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Wags wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:51 pm If you want to get a look at St. John's tonight, they're playing UConn in Hartford on FOX right now. It's been a gritty, defensive-minded, low-scoring game since the opening tip so far. It's going to be tough to score against SJU if they play D this way at UBS and I have no idea how HU is going to deal with Soriano in the paint. He's tough in there against UConn, let alone against Fritz and company.

If tonight's version of St John's shows up and Hofstra doesn't clean things up significantly from Vegas it will be a very long afternoon. Pitino got that team playing hard, defense improving by the game, and like you said already shuddering at the thought of how we're gonna handle Soriano. Not impossible, but a very tough challenge
Cards

Post by Cards »

Based on the UConn game, looks like StJs will be pressing on every after basket in bounds. HU better be practicing in bounding, if history is any indication...................!!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

That is what Duke did to us. Pressed fullcourt and wore us down, that's also Pitinio's playbook...will be tough!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I mean that's what every team is doing to HU because they still can't handle it. And every team should until HU shows it can man up. As I noted in the UNLV thread, the playbook to beat this team is way too easy right now.

Again, I've wondered what exactly was done in the offseason to get better? All we heard about was how great the practices were, how it was the toughest and most physical offseason they've had... lol really?? Because this team looks a bit soft and can't handle physical play. If this is their version of being dogs, they need a definition correction.

Now I'm wondering, what exactly is being done IN SEASON to get better? Because I'm not seeing anything yet. If anything they look worse.

BIG opportunity on Saturday to show something. Would be a great time to do so to end the OOC on a positive before kicking off CAA play.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:15 am I mean that's what every team is doing to HU because they still can't handle it. And every team should until HU shows it can man up. As I noted in the UNLV thread, the playbook to beat this team is way too easy right now.

Again, I've wondered what exactly was done in the offseason to get better? All we heard about was how great the practices were, how it was the toughest and most physical offseason they've had... lol really?? Because this team looks a bit soft and can't handle physical play. If this is their version of being dogs, they need a definition correction.

Now I'm wondering, what exactly is being done IN SEASON to get better? Because I'm not seeing anything yet. If anything they look worse.

BIG opportunity on Saturday to show something. Would be a great time to do so to end the OOC on a positive before kicking off CAA play.
We handled the full court press at Duke for a good part of the game...their plan was to wear us down and it worked...after Carlos our ball handling and offense against the press was not the same.
We were prepared for it but its different going against a team with more more quality depth and more TALENT to begin with.
Just like last year when Pitino pressed us and we won...they were different athletes, we'll see what happens to us on Saturday.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We have a 36% chance of winning this game per ESPN. Are we that bad or are they that good. A combination of the two?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I'd say a 1 in 3 chance of winning this game is about right.
I don't know how we will defend Soriano and I think their press and defensive intensity will wear us down.
Our best chance is if we come out and shoot the three well but based upon our recent performances that is doubtful although you never know.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Combo I'd say - in fact, I think that's a bit high based on what we've seen from both. I'd give it about 25% myself.

Agree HUSID that Duke is of course a different animal, and I can live with that L. Oddly enough that was a game HU played really well in the first half, including handling their pressure D. They got destroyed in the second for reasons noted.

Personally I think HU as a program should've been able to keep it closer and was disappointed in the final - though the loss is understandable, I was not impressed with getting blown out and frankly I think all the "Speedy is a great coach" speak from the media is a bit premature. I have a different definition of "great" and think he has more to show to reach that level.

The issue is it's not just Duke. Other teams not nearly at that level have given HU fits with pressure and physical play, and handed HU losses. Getting blown out by a UNLV type is where it gets more questionable and frustrating. They aren't that good. But HU does look that bad right now. It's too easy to beat this team at the moment.

Outside of Dubar's consistency (a big deal) and some better JC play (strong but still need a bit more), I don't see the needed sustained improvement or player development. They do not look well-oiled or well-coached yet. That is really disappointing and raises questions that need to be answered throughout the rest of the season.

Still, a HUGE opportunity to show something tomorrow, and as we know, CAA play may be where/when things come together. I don't feel great about this team right now and see some really bad flaws that are likely to hold them back... BUT I do still think there's at least a level of better play in them than what we are seeing, just really hoping it actually comes out. A W vs the Johnnies would be a statement of new hope for HU.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Seeing some reports that Chris Ledlum is gonna be out for St John's tomorrow with an ankle injury. Would be a pretty big break, he's probably their best wing... averaging nearly 11pts/8reb (he's like a more physical Dubar).

Still will be very tough task tomorrow, like you all have said gotta shoot lights out from 3, limit turnovers, and not let Soriano completely dominate to have any chance
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Ledlum being out is a consolation for us but will it be enough?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ESPN showing us as 9.5 point dogs which is probably about right for the way we are currently playing.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Anyone know what happened to Fritz???

Sunday playing hard but man Fritz is an injury we could not afford
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Announcers said he is sick.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Announcers said he is sick.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The bigger body has actually helped Hofstra. Sunday has been a factor in his first HU start.