MBB Game 10 @ Duke, Dec 12 (Tue), 7 PM EST

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 10 @ Duke, Dec 12 (Tue), 7 PM EST

Post by Jojogunne »

What can you say about playing Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium on national TV? It's every player's dream.

Although ranked just outside the top 20, Duke will be a very tough opponent. Still, it will be good to see Hofstra on ESPN2.

I'm looking forward to some firsthand impressions from the Hofstra fans who go to the game. I remember driving down to Maryland some years ago when we faced the Terrapins. The 150-piece Maryland pep band was sitting at the end of the court, right next to the visitors' bench (and our seats). I think the NCAA has disallowed that practice, but we shall see.

Here's our preview:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/12/10/m ... unter.aspx
triplec2195

Re: MBB Game 10 @ Duke, Dec 12 (Tue), 7 PM EST

Post by triplec2195 »

ESPN right now is giving us a 13% chance of winning this game! High or low??
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:15 am ESPN right now is giving us a 13% chance of winning this game! High or low??
Probably about right since ESPN also gives Norfolk State a 14.8% chance to win Hofstra's next game. The odds for HU to lose this one and win the next one feel similar. But that doesn't mean it can't be done tonight if HU plays a great game and if Duke is off their game or takes HU lightly. As their current #21 ranking (new, as of today) shows, this is not the same Duke that was #7 recently or the Duke we usually see most seasons. But I don't know how they keep Filipowski from getting something like 30 &15 with no bigs to really match up with someone like him. It's probably HU's biggest challenge to slow down a big since facing Edey at Purdue last year (he had 23 & 18 in that game with seven offensive boards - half of Purdue's 14; HU only only had one).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

What will the line look like? If we plan on doubling down on Filipowski we could be getting burned on open looks beyond the arc but Filipowski is not Edey at least not yet.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:36 pm What will the line look like? If we plan on doubling down on Filipowski we could be getting burned on open looks beyond the arc but Filipowski is not Edey at least not yet.
Most of the prominent NBA mock drafts have Filipowski going in the first round in 2024, some in the top 10 or just barely outside that, while not listing Edey in the first round at all. So it might actually be that Edey is not Filipowski. I think Filipowski may be a big problem tomorrow night.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm sure he will be and he won't be the only problem we will have to deal with. A lot of foul calls or will the refs let them play. We have seen it go both ways. Just hope we show up/out!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So we're 15.5 point underdogs in this game according to Yahoo sports. Lets GO PRIDE! Keep this game close.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I'll be stunned if they keep it within 20 - Dukies love to run up the score whenever they get the opportunity (Probably more so under Coach K)
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Hofstra's had a knack for playing up in these games under Speedy, obviously not expecting a win but would be disappointed if they don't cover tonight (especially in light of UNCW and Drexels recent upsets).

This is also really the only game of note nationally on the CBB slate tonight, Hofstra with a real opportunity for national attention and eyeballs here. Fran Fraschilla calling the game, was at practice yesterday. And Seth Greenberg gave the team a nice little plug on Twitter yesterday...

Watching @HofstraMBB in preparation for being in the studio tomorrow for their game vs @DukeMBB The Pride are an efficient versatile offensive team with a match up problem is Tyler Thomas a skilled big in Dunbar and a dime dropping ball guard in Carlos. @speeddeamon can coach!!

https://twitter.com/SethOnHoops/status/ ... P_QLg&s=19
Polito

Post by Polito »

GAME DAY!

Line and % are about what I would expect for this one... been figuring about a 10% shot here. IF HU can hit their shots and protect the ball, they will have a shot at a really good game. If their shots are off, if either TT or Dubar play hide and seek for a half, and/or if Fritz can't figure out how to stay on the court, they could very easily get run right out of the building. Duke is not unbeatable by any stretch, but in Cameron you better bring your A game and not get caught up in the noise (both game crowd and media).

I'm up in Boston rocking my Hofstra gear, grabbing a local buddy and we are going to give our fandom from afar! Hope our small crew representing are able to make themselves heard, and that the team gives them something to be loud about!

Have said this is a big opportunity for HU, and one of the only ones they have this year, at making any national noise. Great post dP86, agree on all, and very cool to see the extra attention. Up to Speedy and Co to come through tonight and rep this program on the big stage.

Others in the CAA have this year... will HU?

ROLL PRIDE
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/202 ... -duke.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Hofstra at Duke."

ttps://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=484291 will have statistics. I'm surprised that this close to the game StatBroadcast doesn't have rosters and statistics that it has before lineups. It would be shocking if Duke didn't have their online statistics working.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Fritz starting out on Mitchell instead of Filipowski and let the layup go last possession before the tv timeout, looks like they might have made keeping him out of foul trouble a real point of emphasis
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

25-22 we're down at around 8+ minutes Dubar keeping us close with three threes in this half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Going about how I expected so far. No answer for Filipowski (already 12 pts, 4 reb, 3 ast), but they are keeping everyone else in check. Was worried about Roach, who could still go off to complement Filipowski. But this is far from a typical Duke team. Figured if Filipowski gets his but other damage is mainly limited, Dubar & Thomas combine for 50+ (on pace at 23 so far), and they watched the TOs, they could stay in it. Unless Roach or maybe McCain step it up, I think they will be in this the whole way and maybe even pull it off.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Shame, 12-2 run to close the half turned a five-point lead into a five-point deficit by halftime. Got a bit sloppy with the ball during that stretch but still very much in the game when they come out of the locker room. One thing: they are not the least bit intimidated by their surroundings or the name on the opponent's jersey, nor should we have expected them to me - Speedy always have them believing. That is never in question, it's always about execution for them.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Filipowski showing why he was a preseason All-American. Game hanging in the balance right here. Good early timeout by Speedy gotta stop the sloppiness from creeping in on both ends
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Game getting away from us in a hurry. Too many open looks.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Need much more than this from Thomas, who only just took his first shot (and made it) for his first points of the second half almost nine minutes into the half.

But Dubar makes his 7th 3 (on 11 attempts) to keep them within 64-53.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

If you count the offensive fouls feels like Hofstra has more turnovers than shot attempts this half. Giving up open 3s and playing 5 on 8 vs the refs is one thing, but the poor offensive possessions are just so frustrating to watch no matter who the opponent is
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:37 pm If you count the offensive fouls feels like Hofstra has more turnovers than shot attempts this half. Giving up open 3s and playing 5 on 8 vs the refs is one thing, but the poor offensive possessions are just so frustrating to watch no matter who the opponent is
Not attempts, but it was more than FGM - 10 of their 14 TOs in the second half (had eight FGM in the half at that point). Four different guys with at least three TOs. Going to have to clean that up for CAA play. I believe they will but that is definitely something to work on.

It's also the the type of turnovers and what they lead to. The TO numbers vs. Duke's aren't bad, only four more (14-10). But it's 31-7, Duke in Points Off Turnovers - there's the ballgame.