HU ADMIN: IT CAN BE DONE. College REINSTATES Football

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

HU ADMIN: IT CAN BE DONE. College REINSTATES Football

Post by Polito »

https://www.roanoke.edu/news/maroon_football_campaign

I know, I know, it's not apples to apples - this is D3. But it's a REINSTATE just like HU, and don't dare tell me that a small private D3 in my tiny hometown area in southwestern VA can raise the 7 figure funds to do it, and this great University can't. Yep, it will take more money, but this is a bigger school in a much bigger region.

The point is, it CAN be done, and IS being done, even in this tumultuous landscape. And not only football, but they have the vision for the accompanying cheer AND marching band, which I think are necessities for a football program - brings more bodies, atmosphere, funds, fans, etc.

Anyway, thought this was cool to share. And I'm excited for them, got lots of Maroon alum friends - they have a very strong D3 mens lax program, I'm sure this will be a relative success as well.

VISION. I know it's a long shot, I get it, but mainly I'm looking for HU to really show and prove we have one for the challenging future ahead.
HUSID80

Re: HU ADMIN: IT CAN BE DONE. College REINSTATES Football

Post by HUSID80 »

Looks like little Molloy Univesity in Rockville Centre is adding what is called Sprint Football. Full contact football for those under 178 pounds. Molloy will join such prestigious company including many Ivies and and the service academies.
Molloy needs more male students and there's no better way to add make students than by adding football...any kind of football.
Hofstra take note...PLEASE!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

All Hofstra needs to do is follow the example of Villanova....it dropped football only to reinstate it after many studies...we should dig those out and send them to our administration.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:39 am All Hofstra needs to do is follow the example of Villanova....it dropped football only to reinstate it after many studies...we should dig those out and send them to our administration.
Hopefully it could work for HU today (would love to see it back) but this was in a different era, under very different circumstances, nearly four decades ago. Villanova dropped its program citing similar reasons (money, weak attendance, etc.) way back in 1981 and reinstated the program three years later. They did win an FCS national title 25 years later in 2009, which was a great story.

But that program was reinstated under heavy pressure from alumni and students, which brings me to my next point...

It's ironic that we're talking about this now because yesterday (Dec. 3) was the 14-year anniversary that the program was dropped.

Other than on this board and a major push (which ultimately went nowhere) spearheaded by one guy in particular, have we heard much at all from students or alumni over the past 14 years about wanting football back? It's mainly been crickets. The BOT isn't doing to even think about HU football for the few voices on here (myself included) that would like to see football return to HU. Villanova wouldn't have brought its program back either had there not been a big outcry, one that was a lot sooner after dropping the program than what we are talking about with HU now - we are very from that with HU, 14 years and counting...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hear you Wags but football at Hofstra never had a chance as long as Stu was president. The current athletic administration has done some work in bringing some of our great back in the fold including Marques Colston and Willie Cologne.
I would like to see that group, along with others begin to get the ball rolling.