Dec. 18: James Scott, Charleston
Dec. 26: James Scott, Charleston
Jan. 1: Nick Dorn, Elon
Jan. 8: Nick Dorn, Elon
Jan. 15: Tyler Tejada, Towson
Jan. 22: Tyler Tejada, Towson
Jan. 29: Dylan Williamson, Towson
Feb. 5: Jerry Deng, Hampton; Dylan Williamson, Towson
Last edited by Wags on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojogunne

Re: 2023-24 CAA MBB Awards

Post by Jojogunne »

Looks like we are the only school to have received the POW award three times.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:45 pm Looks like we are the only school to have received the POW award three times.
Yes, sorry I forgot to bold DStone too. I went back and did that above.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Thinking about first team All-CAA
Jyare Davis and Trazarian White seem to be the clear leaders at forward.
If Hofstra Monmouth and NCA&T end up out of the top 4 would they have the 3 scoring leaders and 2 time weekly award winners Rice Thomas and Glasper on the first team as the guards? Probably not
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:45 pm Looks like we are the only school to have received the POW award three times.
Delaware too, Davis won 1 and Trent 1 and a half
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

cactus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:09 pm Thinking about first team All-CAA
Jyare Davis and Trazarian White seem to be the clear leaders at forward.
If Hofstra Monmouth and NCA&T end up out of the top 4 would they have the 3 scoring leaders and 2 time weekly award winners Rice Thomas and Glasper on the first team as the guards? Probably not
Agree here. Since we're just past the halfway point of conf schedule, probably a good time to do midseason all-CAA teams. This would be my picks:

1st team
G - Tyler Thomas (he played his way back onto 1st team this past week)
G - Xander Rice (Monmouth)
F - Trazarien White (uncw. player of the year wide open but think he'd win today)
F - Jyare Davis (del)
F - Amari Williams (drexel. his impact goes well beyond his stats)

2nd team
G - Landon Glasper (nc at)
G - Anthony Dell'Orso (Campbell)
G - Shykeim Phillips (uncw)
F - Dubar (even if he has some more huge games, don't see how hofstra gets 2 guys on 1st team unless we go on a crazy run)
F - Brzovic (Charleston)

3rd team
G - Jaquan Carlos (we get on him but he leads assists by a mile and very few players impact multiple areas at his level)
G - Justin Moore (Drexel)
F - Kyreese Mullen (Hampton. Could see him getting penalized for hamptons record, but hes top 10 in scoring and leads conf in reb)
F - Christian May (towson)
F - Chris Doherty (northeastern)

Despite our struggles, still wind up as only team with 3 players represented
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thomas picked up two more honors today:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2024/2/6/men ... onors.aspx

He is the second Hofstra player this season to receive the Met Basketball Writers Association (MBWA) Men's Division I Player of the Week honors. Darlinstone Dubar was recognized last week (Jan. 30):

https://metbasketballwriters.org/news/2 ... eek-8.aspx

https://metbasketballwriters.org/news/2 ... -week.aspx

Players are chosen from the following schools: Army-West Point, Columbia, Fairfield, FDU, Fordham, Hofstra, Iona, LIU, Manhattan, Marist, Monmouth, NJIT, Princeton, Rider, Rutgers, Sacred Heart, St. John's, Saint Peter's, Seton Hall, Stony Brook, and Wagner.

In addition, for the second time this season, Thomas was named one of five Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA). He also received the honor for the week ending Nov.26, when Hofstra won the Gulf Coast Showcase tournament on the strength of Tyler's 40-point performance vs. High Point:

https://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/new ... f-the-week.

Trazarien White of UNCW is the only other CAA player to receive this honor this season (Dec. 6).
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

dutchPride86 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:24 pm Agree here. Since we're just past the halfway point of conf schedule, probably a good time to do midseason all-CAA teams. This would be my picks:

1st team
G - Tyler Thomas (he played his way back onto 1st team this past week)
G - Xander Rice (Monmouth)
F - Trazarien White (uncw. player of the year wide open but think he'd win today)
F - Jyare Davis (del)
F - Amari Williams (drexel. his impact goes well beyond his stats)

2nd team
G - Landon Glasper (nc at)
G - Anthony Dell'Orso (Campbell)
G - Shykeim Phillips (uncw)
F - Dubar (even if he has some more huge games, don't see how hofstra gets 2 guys on 1st team unless we go on a crazy run)
F - Brzovic (Charleston)

3rd team
G - Jaquan Carlos (we get on him but he leads assists by a mile and very few players impact multiple areas at his level)
G - Justin Moore (Drexel)
F - Kyreese Mullen (Hampton. Could see him getting penalized for hamptons record, but hes top 10 in scoring and leads conf in reb)
F - Christian May (towson)
F - Chris Doherty (northeastern)

Despite our struggles, still wind up as only team with 3 players represented
In a 14 team conference, that is 1.07 players per team, and I will be very surprised if a team with our record gets three players. We are more reliant on our top three than other teams, but I would still be surprised. Here are my comments:

Your First Team:
Thomas shoots twos .475 and threes .360. Rice shoots twos .444 and threes .368. I am not saying they will not make the First Team, but I want to see twos above .500 and/or threes above .400 for the First Team. White and Davis are similar. Neither shoots many threes, but White shoots them much better. Davis averages more rebounds and assists, and fewer fouls and turnovers. Williams averages only 12.1 points, and his field goal percentage of .519 is bad for a guy who shoots that close to the basket. Averaging more blocks (1.7) than fouls (1.3) is impressive. None of those three forwards shoot twos anywhere near as good as Fritz's .655. A majority of players are guards, so that makes it less likely to have three forwards on the First Team, but all three are on good teams, and a regular season title could help Williams.

Your Second Team:
Glasper shoots twos .410 and threes .316, which are both bad. His 3.7 rebounds and 2.2 assists do not help him be one of the best players, and he is on a bad team. It is hard for a player averaging over 20 points to be as bad as him. He will make one of the teams because of his scoring, but I hope it is not the First Team. Dell'Orso's 17.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, and average shooting are worthy of the Second Team. Phillips shoots a little better than average, but does not lead his team in scoring. 13.5 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 3.2 assists is short of what I want on the Second Team. Dubar is the only player in the country averaging at least 18 points, shooting twos at least .640, and shooting threes at least .400. The last player to exceed Dubar in all three of those was Vermont's Ryan Davis in 2020-2021. He averages 1.3 turnovers and 1.7 fouls, so he does a lot right without doing anything wrong. He averages slightly fewer points, about the same amount of rebounds, and shoots better than White and Davis. He will not make the First Team, but if people who did not know the CAA had to pick based on statistics without player or team names, maybe he would make the First Team. Brzovic is close enough to teammate Ben Burnham that I do not see how they could be more than one team apart. Brzovic averages 0.1 more points, and more rebounds and assists, but Burnham shoots threes better. Brzovic shoots threes 13-58 (.224).

Your Third Team:
Carlos averages 10.7 points and shoots twos poorly. His rebounds are great for his height, and his assists and assists/turnovers are great, but I do not know if it is enough for Third Team. Moore is a point guard who does not shoot well, and I think he is worse than Carlos. Mullen's scoring and rebounding is enough for the Third Team, but he shoots threes and free throws poorly, and being on the last place team could hurt him. May's only statistic that is worthy of Third Team is shooting threes. He shoots twos .407, averages 4.6 rebounds, and very few assists, blocks, or steals. Being on a good team could help him, and it would be hard for a regular season champion to not have a player honored, but they do not have any of the CAA's Top 20 in scoring. Doherty shoots well, and his .754 free throw percentage and 2.7 assists are good for a forward. I would put him on the Second Team, but I do not expect that to happen.

The rest of the CAA's Top 20 scorers:
Stony Brook's Tyler Stephenson-Moore averages 14.6 points, but does not do much else. William & Mary's Gabe Dorsey averages 13.6 points and 3.3 threes made while shooting well. He leads his team in scoring, but is under a point above two teammates, and his team is bad. I do not expect him to make one of the teams, but I would honor him. Stony Brook's Aaron Clarke averages 13.2 points, and like teammate Stephenson-Moore, he does not stand out in other ways. Delaware's Gerald Drumgoole Jr. is worthy of consideration. He shoots threes well, twos below average, and free throws .629, which is very bad for a guard. William & Mary's Trey Moss averages 12.8 points and 2.5 assists, but his shooting and other statistics do not impress me like I said about Stony Brook's two. William & Mary's Chase Lowe is a guard, but some of his statistics are unusual for a guard. His only three attempted was made at the first half buzzer on Saturday, and 6.5 rebounds are great for a guard. He shoots well, averages 2.8 assists, and while it would be unusual to honor two players on a team that bad, he deserves consideration. Elon's Max Mackinnon averages 12.2 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 2.7 assists while shooting well.

My decisions based only on statistics that are not predictions are:

First Team: Tyler Thomas, Darlinstone Dubar, Trazarien White, Jyare Davis, and Xander Rice

Sceond Team: Anthony Dell'Orso, Chris Doherty, Gabe Dorsey, Shykeim Phillips, and Ante Brzovic

Third Team: Max Mackinnon, Kyrese Mullen, Ben Burnham, Trey Moss, and Amari Williams

Charleston, Hofstra, UNCW, and W&M: 2
Campbell, Delaware, Drexel, Elon, Hampton, Monmouth, and Northeastern: 1
North Carolina A&T, Stony Brook, and Towson: 0

On your Third Team but not on any of my teams: Jaquan Carlos, Landon Glasper, Justin Moore, and Christian May

I know a guy will never be tenth in the country in points per game and not among the top fifteen players in his conference, but I care about Landon Glasper's poor shooting that much.

I felt that Phillips, Brzovic, and Burnham were close enough that I wish I could put them on the same team, but I cannot.

I looked at the CAA's Top 10 in rebounding and assists, which did not get me any players on those teams. Monmouth's Jack Collins is the best from that group.

Within each team, there is not an order. I used statistics in all games. I preferred all games over CAA-only games even when the schedule was balanced, and even moreso with an unbalanced schedule.

The CAA has many individual statistics where the top two or more players are close. Scoring, rebounding, field goal percentage, and other categories could be decided on the last day.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Carlos will make the all-defensive team.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/12049 ... redictions is titled "2024 CAA Basketball Player of the Year Predictions." He predicts Trazarien White will be Player of the Year. In our first two seasons in the CAA, Brett Blizzard was Player of the Year, but UNCW did not have a Player of the Year in twenty seasons from 2003-2004 through 2022-2023.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Thomas earns his third POW and 2nd in the past 4 weeks coming doing the stretch (which should help the consideration for him as POY).

Both the POW and ROY were Tyler T. this week.

2023-24 CAA MEN’S BASKETBALL WEEKLY AWARD WINNERS

PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Nov. 13: Xander Rice, Monmouth
Nov. 20: TK Simpkins, Elon
Nov. 27: Tyler Thomas, Hofstra
Dec. 4: Trazarien White, UNCW
Dec. 11: Christian May, Towson; Jalun Trent, Delaware
Dec. 18: Jyáre Davis, Delaware
Dec. 26: Landon Glasper, North Carolina A&T
Jan. 1: Jalun Trent, Delaware
Jan. 8: Bryce Butler, Charleston
Jan. 15: Xander Rice, Monmouth
Jan. 22: Landon Glasper, North Carolina A&T
Jan. 29: Darlinstone Dubar, Hofstra; Christian May, Towson
Feb. 5: Tyler Thomas, Hofstra
Feb. 12: Jyáre Davis, Delaware
Feb. 19: Max Mackinnon, Elon
Feb. 26: Tyler Thomas, Hofstra

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Nov. 13: Tyler Tejada, Towson
Nov. 20: Nick Dorn, Elon
Nov. 27: Abdi Bashir Jr., Monmouth
Dec. 4: Jordan Crawford, Charleston
Dec. 11: Jared Frey, Stony Brook
Dec. 18: James Scott, Charleston
Dec. 26: James Scott, Charleston
Jan. 1: Nick Dorn, Elon
Jan. 8: Nick Dorn, Elon
Jan. 15: Tyler Tejada, Towson
Jan. 22: Tyler Tejada, Towson
Jan. 29: Dylan Williamson, Towson
Feb. 5: Jerry Deng, Hampton; Dylan Williamson, Towson
Feb. 12: Jaret Valencia, Monmouth
Feb. 19: Jaret Valencia, Monmouth
Feb. 26: Tyler Tejada, Towson
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

IMO it's a foregone conclusion that Tyler will win this hands down. I believe he already has and I don't think it will be that close. Where D-Stone lands will be interesting because he has played very well this year on both ends of the court.
Polito

Post by Polito »

ZERO interest in HU having another POY without an NCAAT berth.

But I'll take both. Dance or bust.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

So not surprising at all but now official... congrats to Tyler Thomas on winning CAA Player of the Year! 3 straight years and 6 of the last 9 now for the school.

Of course 1st team all-CAA for Tyler as well. 2nd team for Dubar, and all-defensive for Carlos. Pat Kelsey won coach of the year.

I still think Carlos was deserving of 3rd team and Chris Doherty definitely got snubbed, but no real major complaints or surprises. Full list here:

https://caasports.com/news/2024/3/6/caa ... -year.aspx
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:33 pm So not surprising at all but now official... congrats to Tyler Thomas on winning CAA Player of the Year! 3 straight years and 6 of the last 9 now for the school.
Amazing. And nine overall for HU:

2006-07: Stokes
2009-10: Jenkins
2010-11: Jenkins
2015-16: Green
2017-18: JWF
2018-19: JWF
2021-22: Estrada
2022-23: Estrada
2023-24: Thomas

To Polito's point, would be great to rack up more CAA tourney titles to go along with these, but today is not the day for that.

Congrats to Tyler, DStone, and JC!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Ditto congrats to all especially Tyler who appeared to be a shoe in towards the end of the year. Now D-Stone could be in line to win it again for us if we can retain him?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

They didn't have the POY when they won the conference, although I think Buie should have got it over Nathan Knight.

Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:20 pm They didn't have the POY when they won the conference, although I think Buie should have got it over Nathan Knight.
Knight averaged about 20 & 10 that year so it was going to be tough to beat that but I don't think anyone could've complained had Buie won it.

Funny that with 8 prior POYs in 17 years (and now a 9th in 18 years) that the one time they won the CAA tourney was when they didn't have the POY.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:10 pm
cactus wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:20 pm They didn't have the POY when they won the conference, although I think Buie should have got it over Nathan Knight.
Knight averaged about 20 & 10 that year so it was going to be tough to beat that but I don't think anyone could've complained had Buie won it.

Funny that with 8 prior POYs in 17 years (and now a 9th in 18 years) that the one time they won the CAA tourney was when they didn't have the POY.
I always thought Buie should have won it also and we weren't alone but goes to show you that generally speaking one great player may not be enough to win this elusive championship!