Jojogunne

Re: MBB Game 05 Wright State, Nov 21 (Tue), 7:30 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

We already have 7 fouls this half.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

dutchPride86 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:41 pm
Jojogunne wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:39 pm Where's Plotnikov?
Clearly in the doghouse. Makes no sense
Plotnikov was just in for a minute.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:43 pm We already have 7 fouls this half.
But they’ve drawn 6 in the half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Fritz gave the impact game everyone here has been impatiently waiting for: his 11 pts & 9 rebs are helping HU pull this out.
Thomas has played the 40 minute game we've been asking for, and has come up big in the second half.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote:Is anyone having trouble with the FloHoops stream?
My audio was off the entire time using the TV app. On the phone it worked fine.

dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Real nice gut check win. The effort level and intensity was good to see. Most importantly they got off the 3pt line and actually attacked the basket in the 2nd half! Hopefully that half gets some of the chucking out of their system. They also seem much more engaged defensively when they're not chucking 3s on the other end

Fritz settling in real nicely. He's a significantly more polished offensive player than Nelson was. Sunday still so raw on the other hand, makes it even more important Fritz stays out of foul trouble with Wilmoth out.

Don't know why German is getting buried on the bench, but didn't expect Speedy to go more than 8 deep tonight against a quality opponent
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Tale of two halves. Our D stepped up in the second half as they only shot 29% from the field in the second half. We limited them to 28 points.
This is what the team will be till everyone gets comfortable in their roles.
No real bench right now.
Reminds me of the 2019-2020 team. They were a bunch of ironmen who all played 35 plus minutes each game
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This game was a good test for us, but I hope we can win by using more of our bench going forward.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:39 pm Wright State of the Missouri Valley Conference
Wright State is in the Horizon League.

Thomas, Carlos, and Fritz were great. Dubar scored 16. He shot threes well, but shot twos and free throws poorly, and he should get more than 4 rebounds in 40 minutes. Washington made 1 of 5 threes, but at least he had 5 rebounds. We shot twos, threes, and free throws well. Wright State made half of their threes, and shot threes better than twos. In the second half, both teams shot threes 3-9, but we shot twos 13-17 (.765), and Wright State shot twos 5-18 (.278). Carlos led all players with a +/- of +17 while he played. On the Analytics tab, Efficiency, Game Score, and Net Points (which is not +/-) are similar about the best three players. Thomas led in all three, with Efficiency of 27, Game Score of 22.5, and Net Points of 14.5. Carlos and Fritz tied for second in Efficiency with 24. Carlos was second in Game Score with 17.5, and Fritz was third with 16.5. Carlos was second in Net Points with 5.2, and a Wright State player was third. Net points adds up to a negative number, not 0. It adds up to +3.0 for us, -9.2 for Wright State, and -6.2 for all players.

Tomorrow will be our first game against High Point, who is the Division I team before us in alphabetical order. The team after us in alphabetical order is Holy Cross, who we played multiple times including in Florida on December 1, 2019.

I do not know if anybody cares after the game, but http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2023 ... state.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Hofstra vs. Wright State." He says that David Wright is in the Baseball Hall of Fame ballot.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Now we're talking - a really poor start, they still need to fix some things, chucking 3's and allowing 60+% shooting is no bueno, BUT made the needed adjustments and put up a very nice 2nd half turnaround to grab a W against a decent mid team. Seeing some signs of life - far from finished, but a lot of positives to take from this game - now this group needs to put a FULL game together.

Have a chance to win a tournament and prove they can go 3 in 3 - it's not murderers row, but some decent opposition. Fight hard to win this thing and come back to NY with some real momentum.

Great to see Fritz show up, just needs to clean up his D and the fouling. Carlos playing with purpose and Thomas turned it on in the 2nd. I'm keeping a level head with Sunday, he's a known work in progress for this entire year. All good.

I have to believe that German is not 100% - I'm not as high on him as many of you are, but I do think he adds value from the bench. Would obviously be better to have him playing well. Can't imagine he's in the dog house this early when this team is trying to find itself and working the rotation like it's going out of style.

Have to think that's the deal with Parnell too - imagine he's not healthy, because that kid is a flat out scorer and can def help this team. Looking forward to seeing him when ready.

This next game is going to be a tough one folks, do not let the High Point name fool you - they're no powerhouse, but they have an up and coming new young head coach who's fixing to make a name. Former Creighton and New Mexico guy, plus at preps La Lumiere and Culver Military Academy, this guy knows the game and recruits. They brought in some portal talent from big programs this year, and they have great size.

HU needs to come to play for real tomorrow night, in BOTH halves. Trading off isn't going to win this game, gotta play the FULL 40. ROLL PRIDE
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This team played with purpose and determination coming back from big deficits you have to give them credit. No need to rehash what everyone has already stated here about Fritz and Thomas but how about the kid Robinson playing 20 minutes. Forget about the box score those were very valuable minutes and he hits a big three. So much confidence coming from this freshman playing better then JC when JC was a freshman IMO.

Also agree about the comments being made re Sunday. He's definitely a work project doesn't seem to have great hands misses rebounds that go right through his hands like he has them greased up, lol. Probably could/will need the presence of Wilmoth if and when he can play.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Great comeback win. Actually bet my wife $5 that we would lose this one...was so happy with the win I gave her $20 LOL.
Yes, agree with most posts, surprised by the tight rotation and lack of time for Plotnikov.
As for Sunday, he's raw but you can't teach size. When he was in he disrupted their inside game considerably...that's what he brings.
Hope Thomas gets some reat...he played an awful lot of minutes.
Would be nice to get this win tonight and the Trophy.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Nice comeback(s). Teams play had me nervous at several points during the game. Starting 5 + KJR all played well.

Cleared my cache yesterday and lost my automatic sign-in. :roll: Had to reset password to get back on board. :oops:
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:14 am Nice comeback(s). Teams play had me nervous at several points during the game. Starting 5 + KJR all played well.

Cleared my cache yesterday and lost my automatic sign-in. :roll: Had to reset password to get back on board. :oops:
Weird that HUSID lost some cash as your cleared your cache. :D
JoeyBagODonuts1

Post by JoeyBagODonuts1 »

EvanJ wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:41 pm I do not know if anybody cares after the game, but http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2023 ... state.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Hofstra vs. Wright State." He says that David Wright is in the Baseball Hall of Fame ballot.
Thanks for sharing that site. I hadn't seen it before. Very cool info, including that this was our first game against Buffalo since the ECC dissolved.
Hofstra Football. Undefeated since 2009!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Jerry Beach is THE MAN when it comes to Hofstra MBB history.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Nice to see Thomas score a career-high 30 points vs. Wright State last night. The way he can get hot, I would have thought he would have had a 30-point game before this.

Also, it appears that we are the only team in the tournament to have two players with 30-point games. (Dubar did it Monday vs. Buffalo). Kobe Julien of Louisiana is the only other player to score as many (also against Buffalo).

I wish the Gulf Coast Showcase website had box scores, or at least links to the teams' schedules and rosters.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojo not sure where that info. comes from stating that was his career high. He did score 36 vs Merrimack in 2021.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

FYI - Blue Ribbon forecasts Wright St 1ST in Horizon League (out of 11) and High Point 8th (of 9) in Big South
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So ZMAN r u saying it's in the WIN COLUMN?? Lol