Post by stuball888 »

Hey Wags
not a bad guess
Wags

Re: Estrada @ Alabama

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:47 pm Hey Wags
not a bad guess
Yes, a very good one. Only two rebounds away!
Last edited by Wags on Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Watched the game, was awesome to see - Bama is on an upward trajectory, and so is Estrada, both at the right time. Proud of the kid and very happy for him - hope he and the Tide crush it into and through the NCAAT. Will be a great recruiting tool for HU in terms of development and path to stardom and $.

Huge game for them coming up vs Tennessee - if he shows out there he could become a well-known name.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Question for the board
What other Hofstra athlete transferred to Alabama and excelled there?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:48 am Question for the board
What other Hofstra athlete transferred to Alabama and excelled there?
Softball - Sara Cornell
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Bingo! Give that man a prize!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In Alabama's last seven games, the winning team scored at least 98.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

I do see this as a positive or glass half full - I have no issue developing players to get them to the big stage. Until they make drastic changes to NIL or more importantly “pay to play”, we will be a stepping stone for some kids, just like Kentucky and Kansas are for the NBA. Many of those kids only stay 1-2 years at the blue chips. Fingers crossed both teams peak down the stretch and the Pride win the tourney to dance. Roll Pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Que4stion for the board
Lets say Hofstra makes a "deal"with Alabama
We will recruit with them and they send us freshmen to develop
They leave in either their junior or senior year to Alabama
Can the NCAA stop this and call it collusion
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchalum01 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:23 pm Fingers crossed both teams peak down the stretch and the Pride win the tourney to dance.
Pride vs. Tide in a 3/14 or 2/15 game!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:22 pm
dutchalum01 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:23 pm Fingers crossed both teams peak down the stretch and the Pride win the tourney to dance.
How interesting would that be like us playing Villanova in 2020 when Jay was still there. Epic for some of us for sure.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:52 pm Que4stion for the board
Lets say Hofstra makes a "deal"with Alabama
We will recruit with them and they send us freshmen to develop
They leave in either their junior or senior year to Alabama
Can the NCAA stop this and call it collusion
Even if the NCAA allowed it, there would be no way of enforcing it on players, so I do not think top conference teams would make that deal.
Wags wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:22 pm
ESPN has Alabama as a 3 seed. If we win the CAA Tournament, and beat Charleston tomorrow and/or in the Final, it is possible that we will be a 14 and they will be a 3. I think we will be good enough to be better than a 15.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Pride vs Tide would be incredible!

Ah yes, Cornell - that was a tough loss - but she showed her stuff in the SEC, can't blame her.

I'm all for HU feeding P5's (future P2) with talent - it's a good place for a quality mid major to be today - we can sell the heck out of that to recruits. Having guys like Thomas and perhaps Dubar developing into stars here, and moving on to getting paid and making their name on a grander national stage is a great thing. And sometimes HU will retain them, esp if this program starts making the dance like it should.

HU has already done quite well with turning unknown talent into high level players, they have the history, and they have a real path for players to do so. And now with NIL it's even more valuable. I'll take HU as a breeding ground all day, that means top talent will continue to funnel through and develop here, which should be enough to achieve what I expect in NCAAT berths every couple - few years in this weak league.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Polito wrote:Pride vs Tide would be incredible!

Ah yes, Cornell - that was a tough loss - but she showed her stuff in the SEC, can't blame her.

I'm all for HU feeding P5's (future P2) with talent - it's a good place for a quality mid major to be today - we can sell the heck out of that to recruits. Having guys like Thomas and perhaps Dubar developing into stars here, and moving on to getting paid and making their name on a grander national stage is a great thing. And sometimes HU will retain them, esp if this program starts making the dance like it should.

HU has already done quite well with turning unknown talent into high level players, they have the history, and they have a real path for players to do so. And now with NIL it's even more valuable. I'll take HU as a breeding ground all day, that means top talent will continue to funnel through and develop here, which should be enough to achieve what I expect in NCAAT berths every couple - few years in this weak league.
It’s funny you say that. People are worried that Charleston leaves watering down the league even more. Honestly, that’s the best thing that could happen to Hofstra in the 20 or so years we’ve been in the CAA. I’d rather have stayed in the AE and racked up tournament appearances than sit in a league we’ve had a hard time winning in.

Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah, that's been a huge topic over the years - is it better to elevate or better to try and dominate an easier path.

All I know is I want more NCAAT appearances more frequently. I don't care where that is quite honestly. There is SO much to say on this, but will refrain here as I don't want to muddle Estrada's praise - topics for other threads.

Roll Tide!
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Polito wrote:Yeah, that's been a huge topic over the years - is it better to elevate or better to try and dominate an easier path.

All I know is I want more NCAAT appearances more frequently. I don't care where that is quite honestly. There is SO much to say on this, but will refrain here as I don't want to muddle Estrada's praise - topics for other threads.

Roll Tide!
Well said and agreed. Big game tonight. My daughter will be in attendance - hopefully goes better than our game today.

Polito

Post by Polito »

Huge, my niece will be there as well - she's had an absolute blast at Bama, graduating this May, very excited to be there to congratulate her.

Is your daughter at Bama, or visiting for UT?
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Polito wrote:Huge, my niece will be there as well - she's had an absolute blast at Bama, graduating this May, very excited to be there to congratulate her.

Is your daughter at Bama, or visiting for UT?
She’s a freshman and absolutely loving it! Never in a million years did I think I’d cheer for Alabama, but here I am. Roll Tide! lol. I suppose cutting my first check helped easing that mindset / also helped A TON having Estrada be part of the program. And…. Roll Pride. :-)

She (your niece) in a sorority?

Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchalum01 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:30 am I’d rather have stayed in the AE and racked up tournament appearances than sit in a league we’ve had a hard time winning in.
No offense meant, I kind of laugh when people assume Hoftra would have automatically been racking up NCAAT appearances out of the AE. There was no guarantee of winning there either though with Vermont mostly dominating that league over a long span. Hofstra would likely not have recruited the types of players it has in the CAA if it stayed in the AE, hurting their chances to compete with Vermont or others when Vermont didn't win. COULD Hofstra have made the NCAAT several times had it stayed in the AE? Sure, but there is absolutely no guarantee that would have happened as some assume.

In the 21 years since Hofstra left the AE (not counting the Covid year because the championship game was canceled, and not counting this year because we're not there yet), there have actually been only one fewer years (10) when the AE outright or co-regular season champion did NOT win the AE tournament than did (11). The times when it did happen, almost half of the tourney tiles (5) were won by Vermont. The 10 time it didn't happen, again, almost half (4) were won by Vermont. I think Stony Brook played in five AE title games before they finally won one. So, where's the guarantee?

Also, we seem to want it both ways, unless I'm wrong on who wanted/wants what. But it seems that many of the folks saying we should elevate and get to a better league (like the A10) also wanted to remain in the AE and rack up the NCAAT appearances that there was no guarantee of racking up.