Estrada @ Alabama

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Estrada @ Alabama

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:41 am
Wags wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:20 pm I could be wrong, but I think Estrada, who led Hofstra to a road win with 20 points at Hampton on 1/5/23 in front of 147 fans, and who 15 months later, will play in front of over 72,000 at the Final Four, should set the record for the biggest crowd disparity to play before in a career.
LOL

I hope there isnt someone tracking that stat -
If anyone is, it may be Evan!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:52 am This will be the BIGGEST test for Speedy and his staff having to recruit practically from scratch. Lets see how they do. Most of us have full confidence in this staff.
Agree

But one thing we must remember - almost ALL the college basketball world is going to be going through and be tested too - the hard part is picking the right guys - and trying to build continuity and chemistry with a new group of "one and done(rs)" every year.

That is what i think we will miss in CARLOS the most - the maturity and leadership - that wouldve at the least made us a bit mosre stable.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:19 pm
triplec2195 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:52 am This will be the BIGGEST test for Speedy and his staff having to recruit practically from scratch. Lets see how they do. Most of us have full confidence in this staff.
Agree

But one thing we must remember - almost ALL the college basketball world is going to be going through and be tested too - the hard part is picking the right guys - and trying to build continuity and chemistry with a new group of "one and done(rs)" every year.

That is what i think we will miss in CARLOS the most - the maturity and leadership - that wouldve at the least made us a bit mosre stable.
Yes for sure but maybe in this new crazy world of basketball supermarket sweepstakes we can get two players in the transfer from the same team. Never know crazier things have happened.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

his first year he only had 5 guys returning - ray, burgess, silverio, cramer, and bethea.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:37 pm
his first year he only had 5 guys returning - ray, burgess, silverio, cramer, and bethea.
Good players in that group except for Bethea who never played much for various reasons. In this group of returning players the real only proven player is Plotnikoff assuming he doesn't jump ship. Robinson did get minutes as a FRESHMAN but really looks more like a combo guard. I'm not sure he will be the PG of the future here. Farmer is a work in progress.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Estrada won't be the only former Hofstra player to compete in Glendale this week:
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 6230294882
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Wags wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:17 pm Estrada won't be the only former Hofstra player to compete in Glendale this week:
Tyler is participating in the 3pt contest (vs some big names) as well as the all star game

https://twitter.com/CollegeSLAM/status/ ... CUL4Q&s=19
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Is Tyler getting paid to play?
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:44 pm
Wags wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:17 pm Estrada won't be the only former Hofstra player to compete in Glendale this week:
Tyler is participating in the 3pt contest (vs some big names) as well as the all star game

https://twitter.com/CollegeSLAM/status/ ... CUL4Q&s=19
3-pt. shootout starting now on ESPN.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Thomas hit 11 straight in the semifinals and had the best score (26) of the entire competition that round, but he lost to Nebraska's Tominaga, 19-17, in the final.

Goes to show what a good shooter Thomas can be when he wasn't forcing shots and would get good looks! The offense should have tried to create that more for him and reeled him in more when he was forcing on his own.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Nice showing by TT. Could have and came very close to winning. Hope this opens some eyes to what a good shooter he his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchalum01 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:25 pm Nice showing by TT. Could have and came very close to winning. Hope this opens some eyes to what a good shooter he his.
He might have won without that "turnover" on the second rack in the final. Somehow, he lost the ball adit rolled away, so he was short a ball. They tried to make up for it on the last rack, and he swished that shot (his last attempt) but it was after time ran out. I thought they should have given that to him, but I guess not losing a ball is part of the competition.

Would help him if he shows out in tomorrow's All-Star Game. I hope he'll get some good minutes and good opportunities in that one. Just a cool experience anyway for him to be able to play on that floor the day before the Final Four.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Wags wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:24 pm Goes to show what a good shooter Thomas can be when he wasn't forcing shots and would get good looks! The offense should have tried to create that more for him and reeled him in more when he was forcing on his own.

Stings more that I thought it still would reading that, but truth hurts! Really is too bad they couldn't find him more catch and shoot opportunities coming off ball screens, Thomas really turned himself into a lethal 3pt shooter.

But fun event, glad he showed out somewhat. Tominaga is such a fun player, shame Nebraska didn't do anything in the tourney he could have been a DJ Burns like cult figure
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Good Article "Alabama's Aaron Estrada finishes 5-year, 4-school odyssey with Final Four trip, NIL money" by David Brandt - shows a bit of the process that AE went through and how Speedy encouraged and help AE go through the transfer portal.
What jumped out at me is how Speedy is coach that looks out for his players while at HU and their future.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... ada-y71984

Here's the link to the AP story that ran in Newsday AFTER the great article by Braziller in the Post.
Wags

Post by Wags »

A little glimpse at the end of this short clip of Estrada on the floor at the Final Four:

https://twitter.com/AlabamaMBB/status/1 ... 1632074963
Wags

Post by Wags »

Interesting look to shoot around in.

https://twitter.com/ElliottPohnl/status ... 8396067025
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Estrada has been a little sloppy tonight. A bit careless with the ball and he's missed two rims on bank shots and a few of those short midrange jumpers that are usually money in the bank for him. 2-3 on 3s though and leads the team in shot attempts.

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

UConn too tough. They respond to every Alabama run
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:11 am https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... ada-y71984

Here's the link to the AP story that ran in Newsday AFTER the great article by Braziller in the Post.
The story of how Speedy actively helped Estrada find the right fit at Alabama was told by Ian Eagle and BIll Raftery after Estrada hit a 3 early in the second half to keep it a close game. They mentioned Speedy and Hofstra. Great advertisement in front of a huge national TV audience for what Speedy and Hofstra could do for similar recruits as a steppingstone to bigger things.