MBB Game 03 @ GWU, Nov 14 (Tue), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB Game 03 @ GWU, Nov 14 (Tue), 7 PM

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:34 am Wags, Thanks for the game analysis. It is always good to read what you think.
Are you still writing for the NY Sports Day website? I can't seem to find your articles on HU.
I am but something is going on with posting there (I can log in but can't access the usual screens to post). I am still trying to get them to fix that ever since I wrote about the Princeton game on Friday night.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks for the recognition of Robinson it may be premature but he looks like a star in the making fingers crossed and lord knows we need some players to put points on the scoreboard and not just chucking up three's. We shot 26% from three 7-27. Ugh that's ugly 27 three point attempts when GWU was getting far easier shots in the paint of the glass a lot of the time.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:51 am Thomas is not efficient on the offensive end when he’s the main focus of the defense. He's so much better as a second option being able to score in catch and shoot situations, hitting at a high percentage from mid range and deep when he's not forcing shots. I don't think this team goes anywhere this year with Thomas as the main guy. Robinson was a bit reckless last night but he seems like he has #1 guy potential.
I think Robinson's too young/too raw for that right now. He has shown some early promise. Maybe he could eventually be that guy, but I don't think that will be this year. I think Thomas can be the #1 guy, but he's going to need help - from Dubar as a consistent, reliable #2, and maybe Robinson steps up and takes that #3 role if Carlos can't or won't. That would be fine if it goes that way; would free Carlos up to do other things he does best at each end of the floor, but he also needs to be a lot more consistent and reliable with his AST/TO ratio (bad with that last night), which often showed last year he was capable of doing.

Small sample size of course, but Robinson is already the team's fourth-leading scorer playing only 13.7 mpg. He's only 2.0 ppg behind Carlos, who is playing 33.0 mpg and he's averaging a bit more ppg than both Washington (20.0 mpg) and Plotnikov (16.0 mpg), and that's with hardly playing at all against Princeton. I think Speedy recognized that and saw the need for that offensively last night and that's why he gave him 24 minutes last night after the one minute against Princeton. If he limits his normal growing pain kinds of mistakes at each end that almost any freshman would have, and keeps showing what he showed in the opener and last night, he'll keep being rewarded with playing time, and he could definitely become that #3 guy they sorely need right now. All to be sorted out through the rest of OOC play but something to keep tabs on with him and the effect that may have on the rest of the rotation.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This team is still developing its identity in a post-Estrada world. The tournament next week will tell us a lot. Everybody should receive plenty of playing time.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:42 pm This team is still developing its identity in a post-Estrada world. The tournament next week will tell us a lot. Everybody should receive plenty of playing time.
You would think. Now's the time to try that out, in November, with three games in three days. Although you want to win all of them, you can afford a loss by spreading minutes around more and learning more about your team (unlike not wanting to take chances with doing that while trying to win three in three days in DC).
Polito

Post by Polito »

Rotations have been all over the map - staff definitely trying to figure things out, and so far, no answers.

KJ is definitely a stud though. Big future ahead.

Will say again I am SHOCKED at how slow this team is - back to back games getting owned up and down the floor. Where the heck is the athleticism??? In no world should a PRINCETON team ever be faster in full court or off the dribble or fast break. Same nonsense vs GW. They need to start moving the basketball around to make up for it.

Half joking half serious when I say this, what exactly was worked on all offseason? Not one returning player looks better, equal at best, most of the new additions look lost, and I see no offensive game plan other than chuck ill-advised 3's with no one there to rebound.

Frankly, this whole operation looks like a mess, and it's pretty uninspiring thus far.