Quiz: Longest Word in Division I School Names

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Quiz: Longest Word in Division I School Names

Post by EvanJ »

What are the longest words in Division I school names? By word, I am including proper nouns. Each word counts separately, so North Carolina State counts as 8 from Carolina, not all the words combined. For all of the opponents, I am referring to Men's Basketball. There are four I thought of with 12 words who we played. There is Northeastern. There is Indianapolis in IUPUI, who we lost to in the 2010 CBI. There is Commonwealth in VCU. There is Agricultural, which is in North Carolina A&T. There is Jacksonville, who we beat to start 2014-2015, and there is also Jacksonville State. Those four have 12 letters. I thought of two with 13 letters, and we played them in 2005-2006 or later. Can you name them? The longest words do not have to be in teams we played, but most of the ones I thought of are in teams we played. Other 12 letter words are Northwestern, Northwestern as in Northwestern State, Southeastern as in Southeastern Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and Presbyterian. I do not allow combining words or word parts even if it is sometimes done. For example, Connecticut is 11 letters. It is sometimes called UConn. I do not let it be called UConnecticut to make 12 letters. I do not combine words with hyphens. For example, if you call it North Carolina-Wilmington (which their fans don't like), Carolina-Wilmington is 18 letters, but I do not count that. If you count names with hyphens, Bethune-Cookman has 14 letters, but I am not counting that either.
The Shadow

Re: Quiz: Longest Word in Division I School Names

Post by The Shadow »

How about the George Washington University Revolutionaries? My guess is the new Revolutionaries nickname could be the most long in the NCAA. How about a switch, meaning the combined college name and nickname for most long and most short. The Hofstra Pride has 12 (7+5) as an example. I think I can guess the most short, not really sure about the most long.
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

how about The University of Massachusetts Minutemen (37 characters). The University of Tulsa Golden Hurricane (35 characters).
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I was just talking about one word, not the whole name. Revolutionaries is 15 letters, so that is longer than the ones I thought of. Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens has 15 letters, and apostrophe, and two spaces in the team name part. Massachusetts was one of the two I thought of. The other one is a 13-letter word (not a proper noun) that is only in the name of that Division I school. The school is in a big city that is not part of the school name.

North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is 58 characters. California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo is 56 characters. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University is 51 letters. We have a Virginia Tech fan here, and that is the school's full name. If you consider schools like Stony Brook to have SUNY written out, they have many characters. For example, State University of New York at Binghamton is 42 characters. Names starting with "University of North Carolina at" are also long.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The other long word I was looking for is International as in Florida International.